Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > Nominations for April 2017 Group Read - Winner!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8239 comments Mod
it's time to nominate for our April group read. You are welcome to nominate books by Golden Age authors, or titles which were written later but are set during the Golden Age. Just one nomination per group member, please.

Going forwards, we have decided to try something different, following some discussion in last month's nominations thread - a second chance poll for books which are runners-up in votes.

We'll hold the poll during June, to choose our August read. So please don't renominate any books which come second over the next few months (including last month's runner-up, The Case of the Gilded Fly) until after the second chance poll! This is just a trial for the moment and we will see how popular it is and whether people like it. :)

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:40AM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 589 comments I'll nominate A Shilling for Candles A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2) by Josephine Tey by Josephine Tey. Supposed to be a far superior book to The Man in the Queue (Inspector Alan Grant, #1) by Josephine Tey

message 4: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Stoltzfus | 14 comments I nominate The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart

LovesMysteries  | 234 comments I nominate Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1) by Ashley Weaver . This is the first book that sets off the Amory Ames series. This book was written in 2014 but is set during the Golden Age Period. Quite refreshing to read a modern mystery author bringing the Golden Age period back when practically so many writers within the genre are writing serial killer stories and domestic thrillers like Gone Girl or The Girl On The Train. I much prefer reading mysteries set during the 30's and it has quite a different flavor -- a certain kind of magic that a mystery set in the contemporary era just doesn't have

message 6: by Judy (new)

LovesMysteries, Murder at the Brightwell was our group read here in November - so would you like to nominate something else?

If you'd like to read the discussion, here's a link to the general thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And here is the spoiler thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 112 comments Marsh, Tey, or Rineheart are all fine with me. Since they are #2's, I will have to catch up by reading the #1's, but I can do that!

LovesMysteries  | 234 comments Judy wrote: "LovesMysteries, Murder at the Brightwell was our group read here in November - so would you like to nominate something else?"

I kind of suspected that you guys discussed this book at some point. Let me think about what other book to nominate and I'll post it soon!

message 9: by Natalie (last edited Jan 31, 2017 03:59PM) (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) | 0 comments This is a "pre-nomination": I wonder if the work of Nicholas Blake Nicholas Blake
has ever been considered here? I know that it may not be as easy to find his books as it should be. His Nigel Strangeways novels were written between 1935-1968. 9 of them were written before 1950.

This is the pseudonym of CD Lewis, Poet Laureate and father of Daniel Day Lewis. I think his mysteries are terrific and that they don't get the attention they deserve.

message 10: by Jill (last edited Jan 31, 2017 04:32PM) (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1774 comments Natalie wrote: "This is a "pre-nomination": I wonder if the work of Nicholas Blake Nicholas Blake
has ever been considered here? I know that it may not be as easy to find his books as it should..."

There are two Nicholas Blake books on the buddy reads

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1256 comments Murder in Stained Glass by Margaret Armstrong. First of her three mysteries, written in 1939.

message 12: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Hilary wrote: "I'll put forward Enter a Murderer by Ngaio Marsh Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2) by Ngaio Marsh"

Second. Time for a Marsh. I would have slightly preferred Clutch of Constables, but Enter a Murderer is also a fine choice, and of course we only want one Marsh in the poll.

message 13: by Jill (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:34PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Death Walks in Eastrepps by Francis Beeding Death Walks in Eastrepps by Francis Beeding

This book shows up on almost every list of great mysteries of the golden age but yet seems to be fairly unknown. Francis Beeding is really two authors, John Palmer and Hillary Saunders. They also wrote The House of Dr. Edwardes which Alfred Hitchcock made into the film Spellbound.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9227 comments Mod
I was going to nominate, "Enter a Murderer," and think it is a great ideal to nominate some of the second books in series we have started.

Jill, I am a huge Nicholas Blake fan. If you would like to investigate the buddy read threads then please take a look.

I will nominate: Information Received Information Received (The Bobby Owen Mysteries, #1) by E.R. Punshon
as I seem to be downloading all these freebies Judy keeps tempting me with and not reading them! This is the first in the Bobby Owen Series.

In his London townhouse, city magnate Sir Christopher Clarke is found lying murdered. At the other end of the house his safe hangs open and rifled, and earlier in the day he had visited his solicitors in order to make a drastic change in his will. Later it is discovered that there has been fraud connected with the dead man, and this is but one of the many complications with which Superintendent Mitchell is faced. Fortunately he has the assistance of young Constable Owen, a talented young Oxford graduate who, finding all other careers closed to him by the 'economic blizzard' of the early thirties, has joined the London Police force. Information Received is the first of E.R. Punshon's acclaimed Bobby Owen mysteries, first published in 1933 and the start of a series which eventually spanned thirty-five novels.

message 15: by Susan (new)

For new members, if you have a look at our bookshelf (top right hand corner of the page) you can see all previous group and challenge reads. These threads will stay open, so if you want to read a past group read, then please do so - we monitor all the threads and are happy to take up the discussion again if you want to enter the fray!

message 16: by Judy (new)

Wow, a great batch of nominations already! I'm totally spoilt flor choice - very tempted by the Rinehart as it's one I've been meaning to read but would be happy with any of these!

Could anyone nominating please include the book's name as well as the cover, as the cover images can be hard to see on some phones and tablet. Thanks everyone!

message 17: by Judy (last edited Feb 01, 2017 11:13AM) (new)

Susan, thanks for posting the bookshelf link - great idea.

I'll also add a buddy reads section to make those easier to find too.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Just to add that it's fine to nominate previous buddy reads for a main group read, as usually only two or three people took part.

Natalie, if you want to nominate either of the Nicholas Blake books we have already had as buddy reads that would be fine - if one of them wins we can always link to the previous thread.

message 19: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 112 comments Judy wrote: "Wow, a great batch of nominations already! I'm totally spoilt flor choice - very tempted by the Rinehart as it's one I've been meaning to read but would be happy with any of these!

Could anyone no..."

Yes yes, I second that!

message 20: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Stoltzfus | 14 comments Do you want us to repost our nominations with a link?

message 21: by Judy (new)

Elsie, can you edit your post and add the link? If not, don't worry about it - I really meant for anyone else posting rather than for those which had already gone up.

I'll try to remember to mention this next month when asking for nominations.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) I thought we read Information Received Information Received (The Bobby Owen Mysteries, #1) by E.R. Punshon last year? I could be wrong of course!

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1774 comments It was a buddy read , Hilary. Judy has now said that buddy reads can be nominated for the group reads.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Jill wrote: "It was a buddy read , Hilary. Judy has now said that buddy reads can be nominated for the group reads."

Odd! I don't generally join in the Buddy Reads but read this last year so assumed it was the book of the month!

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1774 comments I think quite a few of us read it as we thought it was going to win

message 26: by Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (last edited Feb 01, 2017 06:02PM) (new)

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Jill wrote: "I think quite a few of us read it as we thought it was going to win"

Ah I wonder if it came a very close 2nd and therefore I read it! Does make me wonder if I had recently read the one that won and so went for this ..... wanders off pondering!

message 27: by Susan (last edited Feb 01, 2017 10:38PM) (new)

I didn't read it when we did it as a buddy read, so have nominated it, but there are a good choice of books to vote for already, so that is good. I know we have a couple of second books nominated, where we have read the first, so I wanted to nominate the first in a series for new members.

In the same way, it is fine to nominate Nicholas Blake, even though we have read two of his books as buddy reads.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) That works Susan - and I did enjoy the Punshon so if it wins I will be happy to re-read it :D

message 29: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 112 comments I am about at the point that I don't like to nominate or vote---whatever gets chosen is always pretty good, or even great. I haven't hit a clunker yet---so I will just sit here quietly and let you all choose for me!

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1774 comments I think a choice of 6 is probably the most we have had. All are very appealing Lynne

message 31: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Vinicius | 162 comments I will not nominate a book. Don't have the wisdom to do it. But I'm obligated to vote.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Jill wrote: "I think a choice of 6 is probably the most we have had. All are very appealing Lynne"

That's the problem isn't it! So many fantastic Golden Age writers to choose from *sighs with happiness!*

message 33: by Judy (new)

Yes indeed, and more of them being republished all the time! :)

message 34: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 383 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "I'll nominate A Shilling for Candles A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2) by Josephine Tey by Josephine Tey. Supposed to be a far superior book to The Man in the Queue (Inspector Alan Grant, #1) by Josephine Tey"

Shilling for Candles was a really good book - 4 star read for me.

message 35: by Susan (new)

The more people who nominate, and vote, the better. Don't be put off, just because you haven't nominated before. It is good to have different choices.

message 36: by Judy (new)

Any more nominations? I'll put the poll up in a couple of days.

message 37: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1774 comments Looking at your opening post Judy, "We'll hold the poll during June, to choose our August read. So please don't renominate any books which come second over the next few months " does that mean that books that come in the placings lower than second can be renominated ?

message 38: by Judy (new)

Yes, that's right, Jill. :)

message 40: by Wash your hands. (new)

Wash your hands. (washyourhands) | 37 comments https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B... first three Ngaio Marsh books, the second hand paperbacks are reasonably priced :)

message 41: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 104 comments Tough choices.

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 40 comments I voted for the one I own a copy of. :)

message 43: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 104 comments Hannah wrote: "I voted for the one I own a copy of. :)"

That works. I have a copy for what I chose as well

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2450 comments Mod
I too voted for the one I own ...

message 45: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Vinicius | 162 comments I will own the winner! .)

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleae) | 257 comments I found our first Josephine Tey book to be a bit meh. But I know she is a popular author so I want to give her another go and so have voted for A Shilling for Candles.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 164 comments I have a system for how I choose what to vote for.

1. Is the author one that I like reading?
No. Don't vote for it
Yes. Go to question 2

2. Have I already read the book.
Yes. Don't vote for it
No. Go to question 3

3. Is it available on Kindle
No. Don't vote for it
Yes. Go to question 4

4. Is it a reasonable price?
No. Don't vote for it
Yes. Go to question 5

5. Have I already downloaded it?
Yes. Vote for this one
No. Download and Vote for this one.

At question 5 I'm assuming that I've narrowed the list down to just one - this has usually been the case.

message 48: by Susan (new)

That is a pretty sensible method, Jay-Me. I do think a lot of interesting books do lose out because they are either expensive or not on kindle.

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2450 comments Mod
Library availability is my first criteria

message 50: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Vinicius | 162 comments Kindle availability is my first criteria.

« previous 1