Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
This topic is about Abandon
BOOK BESTIE: ARCHIVED > Pair #2: Vicki and Trisha (February Besties)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new)

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5510 comments Pair #2: HISTORICAL FICTION. Read a book off the New YA Historical Fiction in 2010-2011 List.
Vicki - Mystery/Thriller, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Romance
and
Trisha - Mystery, Romance, Historical Fiction

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Woo hoo! I can't believe that you and I are actually paired up, Trisha! That's something that I don't remember happening before, and we both know how excellent my memory is!! I probably won't get to look for a book until late tonight or tomorrow, because I'm going out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse and to see the musical Dirty Dancing with my husband. The tickets were a Christmas gift from Heather, so I'm excited for tonight!

I hope we find an excellent read we both LOVE!

Thanks for our pairing and thread, Nicole! I have YOU for one challenge and Trisha for another! How did I get so lucky? : )

message 3: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new)

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5510 comments Have a great time tonight, Vicki! :)

message 4: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Jan 31, 2017 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments OMG YAY!!! VICKI!!!!

woohoo!!! I'm so glad we're partners

and tonight sounds fun! I hope you and your husband have a great time!
I'm off with my husband for a date night too :)
but I have a minute

message 5: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I dug through the list and my first picks would be:

Abandon (Abandon, #1) by Meg Cabot Fallen Grace  by Mary Hooper Sovay by Celia Rees

do any of these look like you'd like to give them a try?

message 6: by Vicki (last edited Jan 31, 2017 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments You know me, Trisha, I'm accommodating. I am happy to read anything with you for this challenge. I already had Abandon and my TBR shelf, since 2013, I think. LOL So that would get my vote.

I have 153 on my historical fiction shelf, but if you are good with Abandon or you're more interested in either of the other two, I'm happy to read any of them. Just let me know!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Trisha wrote: "OMG YAY!!! VICKI!!!!

woohoo!!! I'm so glad we're partners

and tonight sounds fun! I hope you and your husband have a great time!
I'm off with my husband for a date night too :)
but I have a minute"

How exciting! You grade your date and I'll grade mine, then we can compare. LOL JK Have a wonderful time with Thomas! (Right?)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) wrote: "Have a great time tonight, Vicki! :)"

Thanks, Nicole, I plan to! Texas Roadhouse is where I always want to go if I am craving steak. LOL And I absolutely fell in love with Patrick Swayze after I saw the movie Dirty Dancing. I loved Jennifer Gray in the role she played too..."I carried a watermelon?" (I think that's a classic line for anyone who saw the movie.)

message 9: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Vicki wrote: "Trisha wrote: "OMG YAY!!! VICKI!!!!
..."

lol I'm not sure our dates compare well
oh and mine is Peter :) last name Thomas lol

We went to a group meeting, preparing for more protesting.lol
NOT as awesome as Dirty Dancing musical but still good :)

message 10: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Trisha wrote: "I dug through the list and my first picks would be:

Abandon (Abandon, #1) by Meg CabotFallen Grace  by Mary HooperSovay by Celia Rees

do any of these look like you'd like to give them a try?"

hmm...Can you get all 3 from your library?
if Yes, then we'll look at page count next lol and possibly pick the SHORTEST of the bunch! ;)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Peter? I knew that!!! Lol I was in a hurry. Hahaha!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'll check on the books tonight after Dirty Dancing.

message 13: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Vicki wrote: "I'll check on the books tonight after Dirty Dancing."

Yes! no worries! You have fun!!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I say we go with Abandon because my regular library has it and it's only 304 pages. I can't get Fallen Grace unless I buy it. Sovay I'd have to get through Link + so it might take a while plus it's over 400 pages. So I'm good with Abandon if you are. If you really want to read Sovay, I can order it and let you know when I get it.

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Feb 01, 2017 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments yay! I have wanted to read Abandon for a while!!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments YAY! I should get that one pretty fast, and then we can decided how to proceed.

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments sounds perfect! :)

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1646 comments Hi ladies..I was just poking my nose in here to see what genre you two are doing and to say hello.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Hi Michelle, I also peeked at yours yesterday and I think it was Alberto you were partnered with. I don't know if I am remembering correctly but whoever your partner is, I hope that you guys find an awesome book to read! Thanks for stopping by to say hello to Trisha and me.

message 20: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:39PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Michelle wrote: "Hi ladies..I was just poking my nose in here to see what genre you two are doing and to say hello."

HEY Michelle!!

I think we've picked a good one! Fingers crossed, anyway! lol :)
You're partnered with Alberto? Yay! Did you guys pick one?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I just picked up by book from the library, so when do you want to read it?

message 22: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I have my book too

how's this weekend??

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Perfect, which day do you want to start?

message 24: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments hmmm.....Yikes
just kidding

how's 2/15?

that's the only day I don't have another book to start already! LOL

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That's fine with me...Feb. 15 it is!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I really am excited to read this one! I hope it's as good as I think it will be.

message 27: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, so i'm starting....and THERE ARE NO CHAPTER NUMBERS
lol this seems to be the year of no chapters for you and me! :D

so I have a hard bound copy and I don't see any section/part breaks or anything....Maybe we can include the part of Dante's Inferno that is quoted at the start of the chapter?

lol I have no idea, I'm open. any ideas on how to chat for this one?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments How about we come back after these pages, approximately every 50-ish? Is that too much?

Pages

message 29: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments that's perfect! and it looks like our pages are the same because those are all chapter breaks for me too! :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Yay!!! I'll start at lunch today.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments 53 pages

Okay, I think I'm a wee bit confused but that it'll become more evident as I read.

First of all, I didn't like that (view spoiler)

Uncle Chris (view spoiler)

The necklace (view spoiler)

message 32: by Vicki (last edited Feb 18, 2017 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments 104 pages

Pierce (view spoiler)

John (view spoiler)

The bike (view spoiler)

Please tell me I'm reading at least most of this right or set me straight! LOL It just seems like (view spoiler)

message 33: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Vicki wrote: "53 pages

Okay, I think I'm a wee bit confused but that it'll become more evident as I read.i..."

Okay, I"m here and just as confused....this girl does not think in a straight line in any way, shape or form. this "stream of consciousness" writing/storytelling is extremely confusing and frustrating

so....I'm going with guesses

The Necklace(view spoiler)

Uncle Chris(view spoiler)

so far this one is odd...

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay, I guess I was fairly close then. I don't quite get (view spoiler)

Thanks and I do hope (and know lol) that you are totally enjoying mother/daughter time!!!

message 35: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I am! my mom and I Had so much fun today!

but I'm so sick :(
I hate being sick. so I'm trying to just down cold medicine and try to keep up with her! lol

we're running around again tomorrow but I'll try to get more reading done

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments No worries Trisha!!! You will no doubt pass me up anyway. I've been sick too, and I started another book today but only got like 25 pages done because I just couldn't stay awake.

Have fun tomorrow! :)

message 37: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Feb 21, 2017 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments 104 pages

yeah Pierce(view spoiler)

John(view spoiler)

The bike(view spoiler)

my biggest complaint(view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay, thanks for the explanations because I was/am confused. I think it's because of what you say in your post. She is all over the place for me.

Thanks.

message 39: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments She is all over the place! It's so hard to follow......
I think this one is a little young for my liking too! I know the girl is supposed to be older but she sure feels like 12 or 13 years old.....lol

message 40: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Feb 23, 2017 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments page 157

this story is still all over the place(view spoiler)

Dwing(view spoiler)

bonfire/coffin night(view spoiler)

necklace(view spoiler)

message 41: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments page 204

the last 2 chapters are doing that weird foreshadowing thing that just confuses the story more

coffin night(view spoiler)

Alex(view spoiler)

message 42: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments this just isn't getting any better....

John(view spoiler)

Coffin Night(view spoiler)

message 43: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I'm done

(view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments LOL I'm done too, but I might not post until tomorrow. I'm so frustrated with this one...it could make me dislike historical fiction.