Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > 2017 Long Reads Nominations 2nd Quarter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9161 comments Mod
Nominations for the 2nd Quarter Long Reads
April - June 2017

Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length. We are going to read this book over three months, so choose accordingly.

Long Read Nominations must meet the same requirements as books being nominated for our New School and Old School monthly reads. Nominated books must be published prior to the year 2000.

Only the past Long Read Books listed below are NOT eligible:
Long Reads Bookshelf

War and Peace, 1st & 2nd Quarter 2014
Anna Karenina, 3rd Quarter 2014
Les Misérables, 4th Quarter 2014

The Count of Monte Cristo, 1st Quarter 2015
Gone with the Wind, 2nd Quarter 2015
Don Quixote, 3rd Quarter 2015
The Stand, 4th Quarter 2015

Middlemarch, 1st Quarter 2016
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, 2nd Quarter 2016
Bleak House by Charles Dickens, 3rd Quarter 2016
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, 4th Quarter 2016

The Three Musketeers, 1st Quarter 2017

Only one nomination OR one second per member. Only books that are seconded will advance to the poll. Feel free to discuss the worthiness of a nominated book. Is it a classic? Is it worth discussing for three months? Please avoid Spoilers in these discussions.

Nominations are open from February 1st through the 14th. Polls will be open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena | 300 comments Second tale of the Genji the Royal Tyler edition. It's on my challenge this year.

message 4: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Wow, that was quick Leni. We snuck that one in while all the other little readers are still in bed dreaming of Amazon Gift Cards.
Thanks for the nomination!

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina I nominate Lonesome Dove.

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4763 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, published in 1971, 896 pages.

message 7: by Loretta (last edited Feb 01, 2017 06:59AM) (new)

message 8: by Lena (new)

Lena | 300 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "Wow, that was quick Lena. We snuck that one in while all the other little readers are still in bed dreaming of Amazon Gift Cards.
Thanks for the nomination!"

First thing I do after the alarm goes off to get up for my five am Crossfit class is peacefully browse the happenings in Booklandia. :)

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B I nominate Don Quixote...

message 10: by Lena (new)

Lena | 300 comments I know it's been mentioned before but I'll remind the threads that we haven't been reading many female authors... (I'm guilty of forgetting this too)

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina Lena-- not many in this category except Gone With the Wind but the group read less than two years ago. I will gladly change my choice if you can think of something.

message 12: by Lena (new)

Lena | 300 comments Well Tale of the Genji is by a woman author and is considered the oldest novel.

message 13: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Please may I nominate Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke by Susanna Clarke

message 14: by Brina (new)

Brina I'm going to read Lonesome Dove in June anyway so I can change and second the Tale of Genji. I have never heard of it but it can check off some bingo squares so why not.

message 15: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Wend wrote: "Please may I nominate Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke by Susanna Clarke"

This one isn't eligible, as it was published in 2004.

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'm glad to see The Tale of Genji nominated, as it's the sort of book that's been on my tbr forever but I never get around to. It sounds perfect for a quarterly read.

message 17: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Pink wrote: "I'm glad to see The Tale of Genji nominated, as it's the sort of book that's been on my tbr forever but I never get around to. It sounds perfect for a quarterly read."

Same! I've heard it mentioned on and off for years but have been too intimidated by the length. But with 3 months and people to discuss it with, I'd join in.

message 18: by Brina (new)

Brina Sounds like a plan. With Passover and the beginning of baseball season looming I can't promise much participation but with the rest of you reading it I will be pushed to read.

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4763 comments Mod
Loretta wrote: "Second The Winds of War by Herman Wouk."

Thanks Loretta

message 20: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments While I would love to read The Tale of Genji that would have been a boring poll, so regarding wanting to read more female writers, so I nominate

East Lynne by Mrs. Henry Wood

message 21: by James (new)

James (pepecamello) | 41 comments I nominate Ulysses by James Joyce. "Bloomsday" is June 16 so it'd be topical.

message 22: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Bob wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Second The Winds of War by Herman Wouk."

Thanks Loretta"

My pleasure Bob! :)

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Ellen wrote: "I nominate Don Quixote..."

We read this one for the 3rd Quarter of 2015, so it is not eligible for this poll. You can nominate it under the Revisit the Shelf category though.

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Feb 01, 2017 02:13PM) (new)

Pink wrote: "I'm glad to see The Tale of Genji nominated, as it's the sort of book that's been on my tbr forever but I never get around to. It sounds perfect for a quarterly read."

It would be perfect for a quarterly read.

message 25: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Brina wrote: "I nominate Lonesome Dove."

Lonesome Dove at 945 is eligible for this poll. We did read it for Sept/Oct 2012, but never for a long read.

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Brina wrote: "I'm going to read Lonesome Dove in June anyway so I can change and second the Tale of Genji. I have never heard of it but it can check off some bingo squares so why not."

Did you withdraw your nomination then?

message 27: by Brina (new)

Brina Yes withdraw. I will join the Tale of Genji.

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Brina wrote: "Yes withdraw. I will join the Tale of Genji."

It is one that I am sure I'd need support from fellow readers and the three months to finish.

message 29: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Shropshire (pswap57) | 48 comments I'll second East Lynne - sounds like my cup of tea!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset."

I'll second Kristin Lavransdatter.

message 32: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3539 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset."

Oh yes! I'll third Kristin Lavransdatter. It is so good, but I never finished it from last year.

message 33: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) N. J. wrote: "I nominate Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson"

I'll second Clarissa. It was a favorite of Abigail Adams and her sisters. :)

message 34: by Matt (new)

Matt | 17 comments I nominate The Divine Comedy by Stephen King

message 35: by Matt (new)

Matt | 17 comments Hahaha, I wtf, I just said The Divine Comedy by Stephen King hahahha, let me restate that, The Divine Comedy by Dante Alghari

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) | 299 comments Matt wrote: "Hahaha, I wtf, I just said The Divine Comedy by Stephen King hahahha, let me restate that, The Divine Comedy by Dante Alghari"

He would definitely make for an interesting retelling :)

message 37: by Matt (new)

Matt | 17 comments Totally lol

message 38: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Especially the Inferno bit!

message 39: by Lena (new)

Lena | 300 comments The Divine Comedy by Stephen King - that's the best idea for a new book I've heard!

message 40: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments N. J. wrote: "I nominate Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson"

I'll third this. It's been on my mental TBR for years but I'm not brave enough to tackle it on my own.

message 41: by Matt (new)

Matt | 17 comments I need to call Stephen King and tell him he must do this re-telling!

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Matt wrote: "I need to call Stephen King and tell him he must do this re-telling!"

Oh yes.

message 43: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B Since Quixote is ineligible, I'll 4th(?) Kristin Lavransdatter. A group of us were discussing reading it this year anyway.

message 44: by Myst (new)

Myst | 173 comments A chunky book by a female author published prior to 2000. Would anyone like to try Outlander?

message 45: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments Bob wrote: "I'll nominate The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, published in 1971, 896 pages."

Oh my! Bob you're the best!
I second second The Winds of War!

message 46: by Nente (new)

Nente | 772 comments I'm reading The Tale of Genji anyway. Just to let you know that there'll be enough takers =)

message 47: by Neon's (new)

Neon's | 33 comments Bob wrote: "I'll nominate The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, published in 1971, 896 pages."

I'll second The Winds of War.

message 48: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Myst wrote: "A chunky book by a female author published prior to 2000. Would anyone like to try Outlander?"

Actually if you are interested there is a buddy read for this one going on right now: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 49: by Angie (new)

Angie | 521 comments James wrote: "I nominate Ulysses by James Joyce. "Bloomsday" is June 16 so it'd be topical."

I'll second Ulysses.

message 50: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Feb 03, 2017 05:16PM) (new)

Wow what a amazing set of nominations so far. Just an update for you:

The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu, 1182 pages, 1021:
Nominated -- Bat-Cat, Seconded -- Lena, Brina, Sarah

The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, 896 pages, 1971:
Nominated -- Bob, Seconded -- Loretta, Emerson, Lee

East Lynne by Mrs. Henry Wood, 694 pages, 1861:
Nominated -- Lesserknowngems, Seconded -- Pamela

Ulysses by James Joyce, 810 pages, 1922:
Nominated -- James, Seconded -- Angie

Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson, 1534 pages, 1748:
Nominated -- N.J., Seconded -- Susan, Hailee

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset, 1168 pages, 1920:
Nominated -- Marilyn, Seconded -- Sarah, Kathleen, Ellen, Pam

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, 798 pages, 1320:
Nominated -- Matt

Outlander by Diana Gaba[author:Larry McMurtry, ldon|3617], 896 pages, 1991:
Nominated -- Myst

Weaveworld by Clive Barker, 721 pages, 1987:
Nominated -- Wend

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, 945 pages, 1985
Nominated -- Karin

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.