Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Your thoughts on a YA cover?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winifred (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments It's contemporary YA, the story of a troubled teen sent to live with his grandparents on a wheat ranch, and one of his many screw-ups is starting a forest fire. It was published back in 1996, and I've decided to rerelease it as an ebook. You can see the original cover here: Liar, but I don't have the rights to that cover. Here's my idea:
What do you think?

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jan 31, 2017 11:40AM) (new)

Melissa Abigail (melissaabigail) | 58 comments I think it's a nice cover, but I feel like it would be an even more powerful if it was just the bright orange background-- so in other words, without the prairie part and the kid.

One reason is because I can see the obvious Photoshop on it and I think it weakens the look of it. However, I am very sensitive to these things, it might not bother others.

I think what you can do though is (like the original cover) fade the boy so that he blends in with the background more?

Otherwise, the fonts, the boldness of the title look good.

Not sure about the quote, but maybe others can chime in.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I agree with Melissa. I'm not a fan of photo composition covers and feel they have a flat quality. I do like the way the fiery image curls around, so maybe you can move the blurb to that space. As for the title, I think there's a bit too much space between letters. If you use a more narrow font, you could probably make the title larger, which might add impact.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments For me, there's too much going on. There are three individual images put together that I can tell (four if that picture of the boy wasn't actually taken in that field) and my eyes aren't sure where to focus. The clarity of the prairie and the boy clashes with the two different scenes of fire.

My opinion is that it needs to be simplified.

message 5: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Murray (goodreadscomjordan_rmurray) | 34 comments I think a few changes would make this a really striking cover:

I agree with Melissa on finding a way to blend the boy in (try making him a little more transparent) and definitely take away the prairie entirely - too distracting, like Thomas said. Simple is better.

If there's a way to make the black bottom take up a little more room (can you scoot that background image up a little?) then I would have the title only down there, and really have that red pop against the black.

Then, if you make the boy a little more centered and blended in - like in your original cover design, you could add that quote along the boy's chest.

The black, red, and orange are bold choices, and I would expect this book to be quite dark. If that's the vibe you want, then you're on the right track!

message 6: by Winifred (last edited Feb 01, 2017 02:04PM) (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments Thank you for all of your comments. They've inspired me to try something different. I'd sure love to be able to keep at least a hint of the farmland where the story takes place, but the fire gives the right feel. This is a dark book. The kid has a fire in his head too. So anyway, here are my latest attempts. I haven't narrowed the gaps in Liar, but I may. Just haven't decided yet, and that's tedious work. And, of course, I could lose the quote. Or move it back to the bottom maybe. Or up to the top, under the title if I widened that band?

What do you think? Thanks again for all your help!

message 7: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 280 comments I'm most fond of the first one. I think simple is better. Less stuff competing with the eye while reading the tagline too.

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I like the first or second composition better, but the black band at the top isn't working for me. I think the way you had the title and tag line at the bottom and name at the top worked better, but I still think the title looks like an acronym with the all caps and spaces.

message 9: by Ariel (new)

Ariel C (missarielc) | 6 comments I prefer the first one.
Always prefer a simple colour scheme with colour range limited. Black, white and red looks fabulous!

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments I like number one, but I might consider blurring the bottom edge of the black band at the top.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Files | 1 comments I like the first one best. I don't like the black band either. Maybe put the word "Liar" in white letters and see how that looks. Let us know when the ebook is ready. It looks interesting.

message 12: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Yep... maybe try what Michelle said for the white. Red on black doesn't show too well on kindle paperwhite and other black and white devices. I've made that mistake.

message 13: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments darn forgot to say that I like the first one better :P

message 14: by Emily (last edited Feb 01, 2017 10:52PM) (new)

Emily Taylor (taylorink) | 30 comments Winifred wrote: "Thank you for all of your comments. They've inspired me to try something different. I'd sure love to be able to keep at least a hint of the farmland where the story takes place, but the fire gives ..."

a) The compositional blend is better, but still not hitting the right balance. Could the boy be centre? I think what's breaking the blend is your gradient on the edges - get rid of it. Or, make the spread larger and fade it so it's less noticeable and more natural.

b) The black line isn't working, I agree. It's a very dated style.
Try having the main title centre of the cover which will help separate the two pictures and blend their transition.

c) Font. Times New Roman. All caps. Spaced. That's a traditional standard that always looks good. Or Trajan Pro. For a more contemporary feel. Arial. All spaced.

d) The quote is too large. Make it smaller and turn down the opacity slightly (fade it) to create more dimension with the cover.

Hope that helps!

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Legend (emmalegend1) | 3 comments I prefer the second one...

message 16: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Murray (goodreadscomjordan_rmurray) | 34 comments The top band is not working as well as what you had before. The black works at the bottom because of the background, it looks natural. I would agree with doing the title in white so it stands out the most. If you shrink it to take a look you'll be able to tell what stands out.

The boy would look better centered, too, I think. If the story is about him, and you're being bold in your title, be bold with your character placement. That way you could even have the quote across his chest/in the burning tree line.

message 17: by Tonia (new)

Tonia Cep | 3 comments I think the black band at the top is a bit much.

message 18: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Hmm by first one being my favorite I meant the original... Why? Because it made me look closer. The kid and the farm behind him surrounded by the fire looked like an eye (maybe an eye from a giant dragon, but still an eye.) I found the concept intriguing.

message 19: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 839 comments Winifred wrote: "Thank you for all of your comments. They've inspired me to try something different. I'd sure love to be able to keep at least a hint of the farmland where the story takes place, but the fire gives ..."

The first one, as I can read all the text easily. Like many older people, I don't see so well...lol. It was the one which got my attention immediately from the three.

message 20: by Winifred (new)

Winifred Morris | 57 comments Wow! Thanks for all your suggesions. Gotta think about this now.