Play Book Tag discussion

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
This topic is about Ender's Game
Archives 2018 and beyond > Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 768 comments Ender is a young child of who much is expected. He has rare traits and intelligence. He is selected for training and his teachers hope he is the one who can save the world. There have been past space battles with the 'Buggers'; although they have not happened in years, the military must prepare for an attack and need the right commander. They hope this person is Ender, because there is no one else.

The reader feels for Ender during the book. Growing up he has a hard time with her older brother Peter, because he is better than Peter. He loves his sister, Valentine, but she is sometimes used by the military to get Ender to do what they would like. Ender is isolated often during training, picked on and manipulated. He is pushed to the edge and you want him to succeed.

The author gives Ender adult responsibility and the school does not let the students be children. Ender does care about things and is a good fighter at the same time. You are able to see these sides of him.

I liked the how the author used Ender's brother and sister in the game. Their influence on him is very strong. and helps him determine who he wants to be. Their writings were also an interesting component to let the reader know what was happening outside of Ender's training.

It is hard to believe there is not an adult who can do this job, but I enjoyed the character of Ender.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments I have mixed feelings about this one. I was confused for the first two chapters. Then, I enjoyed most of it after I realized what was going on. I didn't enjoy all the philosophy between his sister Valentine and his brother Peter. It was so boring. I'm glad they left it out of the movie. For that reason, I actually liked the movie better. I'm not sure at this point if I'm going to read the rest of the series.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I started this a while ago but it was the wrong timing. I must finish it.

Kelly | 768 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I have mixed feelings about this one. I was confused for the first two chapters. Then, I enjoyed most of it after I realized what was going on. I didn't enjoy all the philosophy between his sister ..."

I am not going to read anymore of the series either.