The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales, #3)
This topic is about Donner Dinner Party
Comics/Graphics Reads > February: Donner Dinner Party

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) February's graphic novel winner is Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party by Nathan Hale.

Goodreads blurb:
The Donner Party expedition is one of the most notorious stories in all of American history. It’s also a fascinating snapshot of the westward expansion of the United States, and the families and individuals who sacrificed so much to build new lives in a largely unknown landscape. From the preparation for the journey to each disastrous leg of the trip, this book shows the specific bad decisions that led to the party’s predicament in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The graphic novel focuses on the struggles of the Reed family to tell the true story of the catastrophic journey.
This popular topic is a perfect addition to the Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales brand, and a great showcase for Hale’s storytelling skills.

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) Got this from the library today. At first glance it is more in depth than you might think from looking at the blurbs and pictures of the book. It has a "Hazard Level" on the back of the book
"Hazard Level: Blue - Tragic.
Tuberculosis, Hypothermia, Starvation, Accidental Shooting, Non-Accidental Shooting, Stabbing, Cannibalism, Bears, and the Eating of Well-Loved Pets"

Interest : piqued

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) soooo I Actually just finished this (it took an hour or so) and I was very pleasantly surprised. Although it's clearly targeted to kids, I found it pretty engaging and entertaining. I hate to say funny because of what it is, but it was funny at times. I'll definitely pass this on to my 10 y/o and probably read it (and any others in the series) with my 6 y/o.

Rachel (ribbonquest) | 56 comments It's events I normally wouldn't touch told in a way I can handle and even enjoy. It's very complex with all the different people involved so I'll probably reread it sometime.

I've read most of the series now and it's such a great way of learning history. I was usually bored in history class. The Underground Railroad volume would freshen up the usual Black History Month lessons that got so tedious over the years.