The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

The Princess Diarist
This topic is about The Princess Diarist
Our TMS Reads > February: The Princess Diarist

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) February's read is The Princess Diarist in remembrance of Carrie Fisher.

Goodreads blurb
When Carrie Fisher recently discovered the journals she kept during the filming of the first Star Wars movie, she was astonished to see what they had preserved—plaintive love poems, unbridled musings with youthful naiveté, and a vulnerability that she barely recognized. Today, her fame as an author, actress, and pop-culture icon is indisputable, but in 1977, Carrie Fisher was just a (sort-of) regular teenager.

With these excerpts from her handwritten notebooks, The Princess Diarist is Fisher’s intimate and revealing recollection of what happened on one of the most famous film sets of all time—and what developed behind the scenes. And today, as she reprises her most iconic role for the latest Star Wars trilogy, Fisher also ponders the joys and insanity of celebrity, and the absurdity of a life spawned by Hollywood royalty, only to be surpassed by her own outer-space royalty. Laugh-out-loud hilarious and endlessly quotable, The Princess Diarist brims with the candor and introspection of a diary while offering shrewd insight into the type of stardom that few will ever experience.

Jess (jessicaclarence) | 12 comments I'm about 75 pages in and laughing my ass off. I can't think of a celebrity more transparent than Fisher, more candid, more self-deprecating but not self-loathing. I miss her so much already.

(I also didn't realize how young she was when she started Star Wars!)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) omg still number 80 in line. grr.

message 4: by Chessa (new) - added it

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments Our library's copy is still on order! Argh! I'm #3 in line if they ever ever ever get it. :/

Rachel (ribbonquest) | 56 comments I'm up to 106! This thread should really pick up around June.

Cagne (whitekanye) | 2 comments Oh wow, really self conscious about my journaling style now.

Jessica Andersen (jessmary) | 9 comments I'm listening to the audio book. She does a great job of sounding conversational. But then it also makes me sad.

Jess (jessicaclarence) | 12 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm listening to the audio book. She does a great job of sounding conversational. But then it also makes me sad."

I feel like I'd cry if I listened to the audiobook! This sounds so bad, but I feel like she died right when she was in a renaissance...I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life, but the prequels and their cast dominated so much of the conversation for years. She was back, and smart and honest and Tweeting up a storm...and now she's just gone.

Rachel (ribbonquest) | 56 comments I'm listening to the audiobook now. She rambles so wildly I lose track of what the topic is before she returns to it. Sometimes fun but mostly frustrating.

She introduces the Harrison Ford affair by saying she'd better tell the story now or someone will tell it wrong after she's dead. It's kind of uncomfortable listening, like finding your elderly aunt's diary while cleaning out her home after the funeral.