The Challenge Factory discussion

Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
This topic is about Words of Radiance
2017 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Nathalie & Samantha - Words of Radiance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5314 comments Mod
Nathalie & Samantha - Words of Radiance

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Reading Schedule

Wednesday, February 1: Prologue & Ch. 1
Thursday, February 2: Ch. 2-3
Friday, February 3: Ch. 4-12
Saturday, February 4: Interludes, Ch. 13-17
Sunday, February 5: Ch. 18-30
Monday, February 6: Ch. 31-34
Tuesday, February 7: Interludes, Ch. 35
Wednesday, February 8: Ch. 36-37
Thursday, February 9: Ch. 38-39
Friday, February 10: Ch. 40-47
Saturday, February 11: Ch. 48-58
Sunday, February 12: Interludes, Ch. 59-66
Monday, February 13: Ch. 67-68
Tuesday, February 14: Ch. 69-70
Wednesday, February 15: Ch. 71-72
Thursday, February 16: Ch. 73-75
Friday, February 17: Interludes, Ch. 76-81
Saturday, February 18: Ch. 82-end

message 3: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Soooo nice to be back in Roshar! :) Love the drawing of Shallan in the back of the book.

(view spoiler)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments It is really nice to be back in Roshar, almost like going home <3 I love the drawing of Shallan too! I love being able to put an image to what I conceptually have going on in my head.

I liked the continuity of the book as well. Maybe we'll get more information about the circumstances of the king's death in this book or the next one. I was thinking the same things you were! I couldn't believe she would want her father killed, and I'm glad she didn't. Quite odd that she'd want to kill her sister in law though. I'm wondering what Galinar was going to do that would lead the Parshendi to this decision...

Also, that'll be an interesting mash up between Shallan and Adolin! If she got a little more backbone, like she showed at the end of the chapter, it might just be right. Gah, I'm just so reading to dive in deep with this book :)

message 5: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Yeah, what was Galinar up to?! It was so important to the Parshendi that the Alethi know who is responsible for the king's death... And they sacrificed three of their own just to bring the point across... :/ Very odd.

I am so surprised that Jasnah is so very generous to Shallan, after that betrayal! I mean she did say that she/her family will have their advantages out of it too because Shallan is a Radiant but still... She is really good to her! And when I read about the marriage proposal I had to smile because I was wondering during book 1 if those two might end up with each other... Of course I thought they'd fall in love. Well, it might still happen, after all those, uhm, what is the right word for Adolin's women so far? Lol. Shallan might just be more his equal and be able to challenge him, with her brains and especially with her mouth! Haha.

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments I'm hoping we'll find out more about that. It does seem to be a big puzzle piece of this whole war that we're missing.

It is surprising that Jasnah is so nice to her after everything that happened, but maybe she can see a bit of sincerity in Shallan in trying to make it right. I don't know if there's a specific word that you'd use for the women Adolin has spent time with. I guess the closest would be ex-girlfriends...? I am ready to see Adolin and Shallan interact with each other! Considering how stubborn both of them can be some times, it's going to be interesting. I'm betting that they're going to be a power team later on :)

message 7: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Power team sounds good as it does seem like those two could compliment each other nicely. Though you're right, it will be interesting given their character! :D

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Ch. 2 & 3

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments I feel the same way, I missed Kaladin and his men! You can't help but grow fond of them. One of the last scenes of book 1 warmed my heart so much: when they arrive in Dalinar's camp but refuse to go to bed without having their bond fire and stew... :)
And in this chapter I just love how proud they are of being a part of bridge 4. I mean, the guys even got tattoos and want a new patch for their uniform! Ha, how far they've come. They refused to even tell Kal their names at the beginning...

Yeah I too wonder if the occurrence with the ink has more significance. He did say his scars are not done with him yet, maybe there is more to that.

I assume so too, Ivory seems to be Jasnah's personal spren. I had to laugh about Shallan's spren, to me he seemed like a big droopy dog, haha. But I guess his transformation hasn't happened yet. Like Syl became smarter and more aware of things with time, so I assume Shallan's spren is at the beginning of his learning process. I did feel for her though, like she has to babysit her annoying little brother :D I was happy to generally get some answers in that chapter though, about time we get some bits :)
I wonder if you're right, so far I assumed that all the order of the Radiants were equally important/powerful in their way. But good point, Jasnah does say that nobody has been able to interact with those spren for a while, so it does seem special, hmm...

message 10: by Samantha (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments It really is amazing to see the transformation in the bridgemen. I hope they're able to do the same thing with the other men.

It will be fun to watch Shallan and her spren bond. I'm wondering how that will even come about since her spren doesn't seem to really talk, yet. It seems odd that such an important type of spren wouldn't pick Jasnah, who has so much power and information at her fingertips. There must be something special about Shallan...

I'm also really curious about the new info starting out each chapter. I looked at the year of the entries, 1174, and then the illustration of the bridge four tattoos, which are dated 1173, so the entries are a year after what we're currently reading. So I'm anticipating a large attack from the Parshendi towards the end, but how?

message 11: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Wait, your book has an illustration of the tattoos?! Or did you take a peak ahead?

message 12: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments And oh, I didn't even catch that with the entries! :O For some reason I assumed what we're reading is again when Galinar first encountered the Parshendi... Well I am glad that you paid better attention than I did! ;)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments I peeked ahead a little bit. It's not that far from where we were and I was just so curious about what they looked like. Forgive me <3

It's hard to tell what the timeline is and I wouldn't have connected the dots at all if the tattoo didn't have the year on it :P It's going to be an interesting build-up though!

message 14: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Aaaaah! Phew, now I am relieved. I thought my book is missing those pages :D

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Sorry for the scare! Ya, the illustration is at the end of chapter 4. Otherwise, I wouldn't have dared to look so far ahead :P

message 16: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments It's ok, it was only a mild heart attack :P

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments I wasn't able to finish all the reading tonight. I got to Ch. 9 and my eyes were failing me. I can't wait to talk to you about what's going on though! Especially Chapter 7 O.O

message 18: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments I wasn't able to finish either. But I just continued (it's Saturday here already) and finished chapter 7. And OMG! :O :O :O

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments I know!!!!! I stared at that paragraph for at least a minute. I couldn't believe it!!!

message 20: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments So, finished all of Friday's reading.

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Samantha (last edited Feb 04, 2017 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Jasnah is totally dead. I don't want to believe it either, but there was a couple parts that have me convinced she's dead. 1 - Right when we see Jasnah's body, which was "staring sightlessly", the guy said shoved a long knife into her chest to make sure she was dead. I mean, I don't think you could survive that. 2 - the journal entries from Navani speak of Jasnah's death as well. It totally sucks that she's gone, but I kind of like how she died before she could truly train Shallan. In all the other hero journey stories, the hero gets as much training from the mentor as possible before the mentor dies. It's always just convenient that the master has taught as much as they could before they die. Here, Jasnah obviously still has a lot to teach Shallan, but she dies before she can teach her - it's unexpected, just like life is. I'm assuming it's the ghost people too. We don't really know any other enemies who were looking for her.

Shallan is learning quickly! Shallan is really starting to grow on me as she becomes more confident in herself. In my book, the spren is also known as Pattern.

I'm wondering what happened in chapter 10 O.O Did Shallan kill those people? Did her dad do it? How in the world did she do it? She was only 11 and it wasn't with the shard blade if it was her, because she didn't get that until her father died....right? It was such a short chapter, but so many question came from it!

I was totally chuckling the whole time during the Kaladin testing scene. They're such a fun group together. I'm really liking the evolution of Syl as well. She's starting to know her place as honorspren, but is still fun and spunky like a windspren. It is odd that she was forbidden to find Kaladin. Is the Stormfather the same as Olin or whatever his name is that the Everstorm is bringing?

I have no idea what Kaladin will do :/ I'm wondering if he won't say anything to Dalinar because he still doesn't fully trust him yet. Al probably thinks Dalinar would take the side of Amaram. Dalinar definitely needs better friends. He sucks at picking good guys lol.

It is nice to already know this world so the action can keep going without having to explain what is what. My mom is currently reading the first book and is liking it so far, but I warned her about all the building that happens. I partly wish I had a companion book with all the characters/creatures/magic system/etc. to reference while reading this. There's a lot to remember with everything going on that I forget the little details.

message 22: by Nathalie (last edited Feb 05, 2017 06:46AM) (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Hmm... I am still not convinced about Jasnah's death. I know my theory is a stretch... But she can heal herself and I assume Navani knows about Jasnah's death because Shallan will tell her so. But if she doesn't show up in this book anymore then I will admit my naivety. Until then I hold on to my hope ;)
You're right though with the timing of Jasnah's disappearance. It is unexpected. I guess that will make Shallan mature much quicker, now that she is left to herself.

About chapter 10: the way it was written I assumed that her father killed those people. But after your comments I read it again and you're right, it isn't totally clear. Shallan says that her father is a murderer but on the other hand the chapter starts with saying that the world is about to end and it's Shallan's fault... I wonder what that monster is though that is supposedly in her father's safe?

I am not sure whether Odium is that face in the storm. Hmm... What did he say again to Kal, didn't he speak to him back then when he was punished and left in the storm? Didn't Dalinar see that face too in one of his visions? Uff, we just read book 1 and already I am wondering what happened :( I totally know what you mean with a companion book as reference. So often when reading a book I was wondering if I should write down the character names with some details so I wouldn't be wondering later on who that was again.

message 23: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Interludes, Ch. 13-17:

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Ch. 18-30:

(view spoiler)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Sorry, I'm a full day behind -.- I came down with a nasty cold that's giving me a sinus headache. Hopefully tomorrow will give me the time to catch up.

It was really cool to have the Parshendi point of view. After seeing it this way, I'm starting to wonder if they're the Voidbringers or not. Maybe their gods are the actual Voidbringers and Eshonai is trying to make peace with Dalinar to prevent the Voidebringers from coming back? It's the only thing I can think of at this point in the book :/ I don't really know why she's going after Dalinar specifically. Maybe she knows, somehow, that he's getting visions during the high storms?

I haven't really put much thought into who Nazh is, but Ghostblood seems to be the most reaonable answer. Especially since they were going after Jasnah and Shallan was basically her pupil. They're going to pretty extreme lengths to gather information though O.O

It does seem that if they all came together, they would have a lot more information about what to do! Maybe when Shallan enters the picture, we'll get closer to that goal. I have a feeling it's going to take a while for Kaladin to open up to Dalinar because he's lighteyes. I'm glad he sees Dalinar as an honest man, but Kal seems to be a man that holds himself back until the opportune time.

Shallan is really interesting. I'm not quite sure what to make of her powers because she can Soulcast and use Stormlight, but I also feel that her ability to make a Memory is some sort of power too. She seems to be in quite a bind when I last left off with her, so I'm curious about how she gets them out of that one.

Honestly, I think it would be cool if Kaladin trained Adolin's brother ( I keep forgetting his name!)! Although, it seems like it's going to be that Zahel guy instead. I wonder if we're going to find out some more about him too. He seems to potentially have an interesting backstory.

message 26: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Oh I am sorry to hear that you're sick! :( I hope you feel better soon! We can adjust the reading schedule if you want to?

I have to say I was surprised at how brave Renarin is! :O I would never in a million years jump off a building head first, not even with a shardplate. But he just dove right into it :D I am curious to see what his character brings. We haven't really gotten much about him, especially his sickness.
Maybe Kal and Renarin at least end up practicing together? It does seem like Kal also still has some things to learn and they both don't seem to dislike each other unlike Adolin and Kal..

That with the Parshendi's gods being the voidbringers is a good point, that at least does make sense!

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments I hope so too <3 I'm going to go to bed early tonight and try to get a lot of sleep. I'm going to see how much reading I get done between Monday and Tuesday and go from there. Thinking about how my schedule works, I think I can catch up by then. I'll definitely keep you updated. For now, stick to the schedule. If I'm not feeling any better tomorrow, I might just call out sick at work and use that time to read.

message 28: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Ok :)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Okay, I'm caught up through Ch. 30 and I'm going to see if I can push through today's reading as well so I'll be caught up :)

I don't like Shallan with Tyn either. I actually think Tyn is in with the men that killed Jasnah. She mentioned that she was waiting to hear back about a job that would change the world...What more could change the world than Jasnah's death and having her research?! If my theory is true, Shallan is in a really dangerous position.

I was really shocked that Shallan's brother has a Shardblade! I was starting to think that maybe the father killed him and Shallan killed her father for killing her brother, but her older brother is still alive...right? I can't really remember :/ I do like that we're getting more insight into her background though. She seems to be one of the main characters that I don't have my mind fully wrapped around yet.

You know, I'm not sure. I was hoping it was Sadeas, but it's pretty obvious that it isn't. Moash does have a strong hatred for lighteyes, but it's hard to see him as betraying Kaladin this far in the game. I feel like Kaladin dismissed it too quickly :/ :(

I was so glad that Kal followed through and told Dalinar as well! Completely understandable that Dalinar didn't completely jump on the bandwagon, but at least Dalinar will keep an eye out for anything suspicious with his "friend". It seems Amaram is more buddy-buddy with Sadeas than he is with Dalinar. If only they would talk to each other about the high storms...

I totally freaked out when Gaz showed up again! It explains why he just disappeared. I was wondering how Shallan was going to get out of that situation and I didn't see that coming at all. She's definitely turning out to be a master manipulator. Whether its soul casting or something else, I'm not sure. It is kind of nice to see Gaz in a better light, but I'm a little worried that he's going to backstab her somehow...I don't really trust him quite yet. He doesn't seem to have much of a spine.

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Ch. 31-34 O.O

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments !!! You were totally right about Tyn being responsible for Jasnah's death! OMG! What a coincidence that Shallan would meet her :O I am glad that she is out of the picture and Shallan found out about her before it was too late! I hope that she gets her acts together now and thinks things through a little better before playing new games again...

Szeth just showing up like that! I mean, we knew it was coming but somehow I didn't expect it that moment. When he cut Kal I was just shocked and afterwards so glad that it healed after all, wow! Who knows what else he is capable of.
So Szeth was shocked to meet another windrunner. The way he talked it seemed like he felt betrayed by his people for being made a slave. That's the first time we get him to feel this way, so it must have something to do with the other Radiants, because he explicitly asked if they all came back... I know he is doing terrible things but he is just a poor guy, I feel so sorry for him, he is just being used as a tool... I wonder if he is able to stand up against his master and just brake free of his slavery. In the end nothing really binds him but his honor, right?

How do you know that Odium means angryspren? I don't remember having read that. But I find it interesting that Syl says that Szeth's blade was different... Could it be that he has an honorblade instead of a shardblade? Then your theory could work... hmm.

I wonder when Kal finally tells Dalinar about him being a windrunner. I mean, it's really hard to hide that he is different after that assassination attempt. Adolin is being very skeptical and even considering a betrayal or something... And poor Hobber, just loosing both legs :(

message 32: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Oh, by the way, what was that all about, that Shallan was thinking that it doesn't have to be 10 heartbeats to call the shardblade? It said: but for her it doesn't have to be 10... But next sentence says she needs time. So she can call her blade quicker than that? Can all Radiants? Or am I misunderstanding?

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments I'm looking up the part about Odium to make sure I read it right and I'll look over that part again with Shallan's shard blade.

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments So, about Odium, it's in the middle of chapter 24, but after re-reading it, it sounds that Shallan is just assuming it's a spren, but she doesn't really know, but in her world, Odium must mean hatred...? Otherwise, how did she come up with that word out of nowhere?

And after looking at Shallan getting the blade again, that it interesting! I was reading it so fast last night that I didn't really take in what that meant. It's supposed to be 10 heartbeats for everyone, so maybe she's special...? Or maybe she was trying to calm down her heart because her heart was probably racing? I really don't know.

message 35: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Ah, thanks for looking it up! I totally forgot about her talking with Pattern about that.

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments No problem! I've found that there's a lot of really important tidbits stuck in only one word sentences, so that it's easy to forget about it as you read :P I can't wait to dive into today's reading. Things got really interesting! Too bad it's back to the interludes, but maybe we'll get some more good information.

message 37: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Yeah sometimes the interludes are a bit weird. Like, when do we get to see the bigger picture of those? Like for example, what was it all about with that guy who was making shoes for the street boy. He was able to heal so I assume he was a Radiant? Was that chapter just to show that there are more Radiants out there or will there be more to it in the end...?

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Ya, it does help that we seem to have the world-wide effect of what is going on with our main characters. I'm wondering how many Surgebinders/Soulcasters/etc. there are out there and how many are going to become Radiants.

Something else that I happened to notice in our reading was, I believe, right before the assassination attempt where Kaladin is going to get some food from the camp. Rock mentions that there is an ardent that wants to draw them and seems to blow him off. Do you think that ardent may be a Ghostblood or a spy of some sort?

message 39: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Oh! Hmm... Maybe not a Ghostblood but one of Sadeas' spies? While reading it I didn't think much of it as they made it seem like it was really just about them being 'famous'. But you could be right. Sadeas and his wife were talking about having many spies/assassins planted around Dalinar, so it could be one of them?

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Ya, it probably makes more sense to be Sadeas' spy. It just interesting to see them pop up :)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Interludes & Ch. 35

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Eshonai being Odium... hmm, no clue...
To me it seems that without that new form there couldn't be the endstorm (is that the name for it in English?). Just because the Parshendi found the new form they will be able to call that storm and make it hard for the humans... But I did wonder about the stormfather's words because he told Eshonai that he cannot protect her and that he is sorry. Like it would harm her personally which so far it hasn't?

I don't think Talenel possessed the Wit, what makes you think so? The Wit was waiting for him at the gate at the end of book 1 and then seemed to have traveled a bit with Talenel until he disappeared again. I was just thinking: Dudes, listen to Talenel, he is actually telling you something important, aaargh! :D

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments In English, it's called the Everstorm. I definitely think that the Parshendi will be the cause for the Everstorm as well. I can't imagine what the destruction will look like when the storm is actually directed at them. It is odd that the Stormfather said he couldn't protect her. Didn't he say those same words in one of Dalinar's visions too? I wonder what it means :S

I don't necessarily think Talenel possessed him, I just simply can't remember the exact scene that happened at the end of the book and can't look it up since my mom has the first book XD It did sound to me as if the people who found Talenel couldn't really understand him. They seemed to only be grasping a few words that he was saying. Maybe he's speaking in an ancient form of Alethi? Kind of like there's an old form of English that Shakespeare uses that people don't use today. They really do need to pay attention to what he's saying though!

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments So, I went to look up a chapter summary about what happened at the end of the book as a refresher and found a wonderful gem of a website for a reference point! http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wi...
Only thing is that I don't know if there's a German translation of it or not, but I'd thought I would share it with you :)

message 45: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Everstrom! Thank you! When I read the English word I know exactly what it means but when I only have the German term it's hard to know what the original word is :) Thanks for the link! I actually visited the site before, it is really wonderful! Just gotta watch a little to not see spoilers ;)

How far into the book is your mom by the way? Is the still liking it?

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments No problem! I clicked on the link for Words of Radiance and it seems that it's just an intro to the book right now with no chapter summaries, but I don't know about the character summaries though. It is a nice site though :)

According to Goodreads, she's at pg. 258. She's still trying to get her head around the world and whatnot, but she does like it a lot :)

message 47: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments I am glad your mom is enjoying it. It is a lot to take in! I was so clueless about everything for most part of the book, haha.

message 48: by Samantha (last edited Feb 08, 2017 11:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 404 comments Ch. 36 & 37

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments I am behind on my reading, didn't get to the chapters yesterday. I see how far I get today, worst case I will catch up during the weekend.

How are you feeling by the way, are you over your cold?

message 50: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natelena) | 169 comments Right, the fight between Shallan and Kal was hilarious. I am surprised they didn't laugh at the end. Haha.
I was actually surprised that Gaz was saying about Kal that he is violent and a trouble maker. After everything I really thought he changed a bit. Now I really think that he is just bipolar... :(

Haha, yeah, Adolin was pretty excited to see Shallan. I wonder what she will think about him? ;)

« previous 1