Public Domain Readers discussion

Monthly Themed Archives > February 2017 - Your Fav. Book/Author

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sawako (new)

Sawako | 477 comments Mod
Each month we will read a public domain book in a certain genre, about a particular subject, or by an specific author. Report which book or story you've decided to read. Feel free to discuss what you're reading and the author's writing style. Don't forget to leave a review of your selected work.

Since February is the month of love. I hope our lovely members will recommend their favorite book. I know book lovers will have a hard time to decide their favorite one.

First, you can recommend as many as you can (the more the better). Second, you can recommend your favorite author. So you see, no excuses this month. Please, share your love for books with us. Don't forget to have a lovely time with your special people and books.

message 3: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 358 comments Mod
I've spent that last couple days pondering exactly which books are my favorites and who would be my favorite author. It has not been easy! But here goes:

books
Persuasion
The Man Who Lost Himself
Daddy-Long-Legs
The Thing from the Lake
The House by the Lock
My Lady Caprice

authors
Louis Tracy
Frances Hodgson Burnett

For this month, I'm going to try to read a book from each author.

message 4: by Sawako (new)

I too like Persuasion and Daddy-Long-Legs

message 5: by Lanelle (last edited Feb 04, 2017 11:26AM) (new)

I have read almost all of Georgette Heyer's regency romances, but I haven't read any of her historical (like The Black Moth) or mystery novels. Have you read any of her mysteries?

message 6: by Sawako (new)

No, but I want to. I think that The Black Moth is her only public domain book. What Georgette Heyer's regency romances would you recommend? So, I can add them to my TBR list.

message 7: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "What Georgette Heyer's regency romances would you recommend?"

What would I recommend? O boy! That's tough! I'll try.
The Unknown Ajax
The Reluctant Widow
Devil's Cub
The Nonesuch
Sylvester: Or the Wicked Uncle
The Corinthian
The Grand Sophy
The Quiet Gentleman
and
Bath Tangle (which I think was plagiarized by Jude Morgan in An Accomplished Woman)

message 8: by Sawako (new)

Thank you so much! I am looking forward to reading them as soon as possible. o(*^▽^*)o

message 9: by Lanelle (last edited Feb 13, 2017 05:04AM) (new)

I finished reading The Revellers by one of my favorite authors, Louis Tracy.

It wasn't one of his best. It seems disjointed and haphazard. There would be a chapter or two about one character and then a chapter or two about a different character. He wrote the dialect of the poorer people, which was difficult to read. The ending seemed rushed. I gave it 3 stars.

message 10: by Sawako (new)

Here's my reading report for this month.

I read/listened to The Street of Seven Stars. The story is simple and nice. MaryAnn did a brilliant job reading the book.

I want to thank Heather for recommending https://openlibrary.org/. I found Dorothy L. Sayers books there. And I read Unnatural Death and Lord Peter Views the Body. I also found The Reluctant Widow as well. I am so excited to read one of Lanelle's recommendations.

I will quickly talk about openlibrary. Once you have an account there you can borrow an electronic version of the book for two weeks. And if someone already checked out a book that you wanted, you will be on a waiting list. They will e-mail once you get your turn to borrow the book. And you have to borrow it within 24 hours. So I am waiting for The Reluctant Widow to be available.

Lastly, I will continue reading/listening to Wives and Daughters.

That's all for now. ˭̡̞(◞⁎˃ᆺ˂)◞*✰ See you in March .

message 11: by AbZeroNow (new)

AbZeroNow | 8 comments I definitely believe that Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett from 1902 is a classic that should be read more. Powerful novel. (Public domain in the US & life plus 70 countries since Bennett died in 1931)

message 12: by Sawako (new)

Thank you, AbZeroNow, for your recommendation. The book sounds interesting and I added it to my TBR list.