Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > Who do you want as the 13th Doctor?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments The speculation seems to be already underway on the internet. Peter Capaldi's final episode is a little less than eleven months away. I've enjoyed his performance, although the writing has varied in quality. ("Kill the Moon" was godawful.) So who should replace him?

There has been a sizable contingent of fans pushing for a female Doctor for many years. If this happens, I definitely want Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter) for the part. If they choose a male actor, I think Robert Carlyle (Stargate Universe, The World Is Not Enough) would be good. From what I can tell, Ben Whishaw (Q in the Daniel Craig Bond movies) is the early favorite according to conventional wisdom. I think he'd do well, and he seems to have the advantage of youth... I'm thinking the network will pressure new showrunner Chibnall to cast a young prettyboy to bring in the fangirls.

I'm assuming that casting Whishaw would lead to a different actor playing Q, but it's fun to think about the TARDIS being equipped with an ejector seat, smoke screens, and oil slicks.

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 100 comments I definitely do not want them to choose a female Doctor. I think it would change the dynamic of the show too much. As for which male actor I'd like, I can think of a few possibilities but there are so many great actors I don't know that I wouldn't really mind who. No pun intended. ;-)

message 3: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 4 comments Eddie Raymayne from fantastic beasts and where to find them!! Sorry for shouting the answer, but I have already been visualizing him being the perfect Dr. For months now. Cute awkward and sweet and a little bit timid for his personality. :)

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 100 comments Yes, he would make a brilliant doctor. :-)

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I am tired of awkward geeky looking but pretty young actors actually. and we have our share of young-ish doctor. I want someone with more grit. or more calm, unassuming looking. do not have someone in mind yet though

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) and do the show losing lots of fangirls since Capaldi's casting?

message 7: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 4 comments Calm unassuming Gritty.... Maybe Dylan McDermott? Or is he still too pretty? Gabriel Byrne?

message 8: by Lyra (last edited Jan 31, 2017 02:40PM) (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 11 comments OMG, Mike, I would LOVE Hayley Atwell, but they'll never choose her. First of all, Britain seems terrified of making a female Doc. Whatever. Secondly, she's way too sexy, even though she'd be perfect. They're even MORE scared of a sexy woman being the Doc.

So... that said, I'd want someone as awesome as Tom Hiddleston or Ben Cumberbatch - great actors with a huge range, and a bit quirky. Course, they can't get those A listers, so I'd be fine with anyone, even unknowns, as long as they have that range.

message 9: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 261 comments Krysta wrote: "OMG, Mike, I would LOVE Hayley Atwell, but they'll never choose her. First of all, Britain seems terrified of making a female Doc."

I don't know, years ago I attended a small con where Moffat asked the audience whether they'd like a female doctor, and most of the audience would. It seemed to me they were seriously considering the option. Or they could also have been trolling the audience.
As for me, I'm not sure I'd like a female doctor. I'm not against it, but seeing as the 13 doctors we've seen have all been male that would feel weird (assuming a 50/50 chance each regeneration, what are the odds of that?). I know they've established that timelords can change gender, but that was a little late in the game.

What I don't want is a young prettyboy. I've liked all the doctors, but Capaldi's my favorite because he's a great actor and I enjoyed a companion bickering with a curmudgeon doctor much more than I did a companion mooning over a prettyboy doctor. Also seeing Malcolm Tucker somehow becoming the doctor was great :)

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Libersat (bibliobeque) | 3 comments I am definitely behind the casting of Hayley Atwell. Olivia Colman would be a great choice too, and has been endorsed by her Broadchurch costar, David Tennant.

If they want to start with a baby step and make the Doctor still male, but non-white, I saw somebody on another site suggest Riz Ahmed, and now I can't quite get that picture out of my head. Rumor has it Chiwetel Ejiofor has turned down the part once already, but maybe he'd reconsider.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Tamburrino (rfawriter) | 1 comments Since it first crossed my mind, I haven't been able to shake the thought of Eddie Izzard as the Doctor. I think that would be marvelous.

Capaldi is my favorite though. I'll miss him terribly... With what he was given, he consistently knocked it out of the park.

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments While I've figured out who I want for the role, what I expect to actually happen is that they'll cast someone more obscure. Or at least, obscure enough to me that I'll have to Google them to find out who that is. Some of the people suggested for Thirteen, both here and elsewhere online, seem to be more established in Britain than North America. I've seen several people suggested that I've never heard of before.

Smith was pulled from out of nowhere and seemed to have been an unknown to just about everyone before he was cast, from what I can tell. I'd never heard of Capaldi or his previous show before he emerged as the favorite for Twelve. From what I can tell, it wasn't a show that got as much exposure in the US as other UK programs. In the case of Eccleston and Tennant, I'd seen them previously in other things, but nothing where I found the character memorable enough to remember the face or the actor's name.

(Strange coincidence, but when Capaldi was officially announced as the new Doctor, my first watch of the New Who was right up to the Pompeii episode that he guest starred in.)

message 13: by George (new)

George Hahn | 89 comments Capaldi played Cardinal Richelieu on a series adaption of The Three Musketeers just before becoming the Doctor.

message 14: by Jared (new)

Jared Pixley | 15 comments I want to be the next Doctor. I know I'm an American, not English and I can't do the accent, but maybe its time for an American Doctor. Of course, they probably won't cast me as I don't know how to act and I don't have an agent and I can't afford to go to London to audition. But I can dream, right?

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments So the BBC is supposed to make the announcement this Sunday, right after the Wimbledon final.

message 16: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments And it's.... Jodie Whittaker from Broadchurch. They went with a woman for the first time.

message 17: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments Pretty inevitable given Doctor Who loves the zeitgeist. As long as we've moved on from old and cranky back to more light humour I'm fine with it (and I don't think she'd be doing old and cranky).

message 18: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Yes! Thank you, Beebs!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mankowski (sarahmankowski) | 246 comments I was saying yesterday that if they were going with a cast member from Broadchurch, why not Carolyn Pickles? But she might be too likely to do old and cranky I suppose.

And what's wrong with old and cranky, asks one who is old and cranky.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mankowski (sarahmankowski) | 246 comments Jodie Whittaker was also in an episode of Black Mirror.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Bring back Tom Baker!!!!

message 22: by Noor (new)

Noor Al-Shanti | 69 comments New show-runner?!!!

Thank you for making this thread and giving me the good news. I will now have to start watching it again. I loved Capaldi in the role, but the writing became unbearable and I just did not care anymore. Hopefully with a new person at the helm it will be watchable again.

(I was hoping for Maggie Smith as the Doctor,,, maybe she'll be next...*continues hoping*)

message 23: by Andrea (last edited Sep 06, 2017 10:45AM) (new)

Andrea | 2670 comments I don't follow Dr. Who closely, though I watch the random episode here and there because...well once you start an episode it's so weird you just have to see how it turns out.

Could someone post a spoiler for me here to explain how there can actually be a new doctor? Last I understood the Doctor had a limit on the number of reincarnations and that Capaldi would be the last. Now I did figure they would find a loophole to keep the show going, just curious what it was :) Or will we find that out during the switchover?

And in case someone else doesn't follow closely - (view spoiler)

message 24: by Mike (last edited Sep 06, 2017 06:31PM) (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments Andrea...

(view spoiler)