BooktubeSFF Awards discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived (2017) > Introduce Yourself in 2017!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (thoughtsontomes) | 11 comments Hello and welcome to the 2017 #Booktube SFF Awards!

Please introduce yourself to your fellow readers and booktubers :)

I'm Samantha from Thoughts on Tomes! I'm a new judge this year, and so happy to be a part of the fun and madness.

What are you most excited about for this year's awards season? Any books in particular you hope to make it to the top? Any babbles or readalongs you are hoping to participate in? Let us know!

message 2: by Kym (new)

Kym Wald | 2 comments I am so excited that this is happening again this year!! It was one of my favorite parts of booktube and goodreads last year. I just wanted to pop in and say hi :) I am looking forward to participating and I am also looking forward to officially jumping in and abandoning my anxiety and starting a booktube channel in the upcoming months. I look forward to participating along with all you wonderful people!!!

message 3: by Queen (new)

Queen (inkyspyglass) | 9 comments Kym wrote: "I am so excited that this is happening again this year!! It was one of my favorite parts of booktube and goodreads last year. I just wanted to pop in and say hi :) I am looking forward to participa..."

Yay for upcoming booktube channel! Good luck :D

message 4: by Queen (new)

Queen (inkyspyglass) | 9 comments Hello all, I'm new and joined this group today (January 31). My youtube channel is inkyspyglass. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the sff goodness here!

message 5: by Brianne (new)

Brianne Reeves (bree_reeves) | 19 comments Mod
Hey, all! I'm glad to see we're getting started! My name is Bree. I am on YouTube as Stories from the Shelf and on Twitter as @breereadsbooks. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season!

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Carl (pressenter) | 55 comments Hi, I'm Matt. I didn't get a lot of reading done last year (possibly spent too much time following the election), so I'm interested to see what I missed. I am on Twitter and Instagram as @walksuphills, but they are not specifically for books.

message 7: by Connor (new)

Connor (connorobrien) | 23 comments Hey everyone! I'm another new judge for this year! Can't wait to get the party started tomorrow! My channel is "Connor O'Brien", and I'm pumped to be judging alongside some amazing people this year!

message 8: by Kym (new)

Kym Wald | 2 comments Princess wrote: "Kym wrote: "I am so excited that this is happening again this year!! It was one of my favorite parts of booktube and goodreads last year. I just wanted to pop in and say hi :) I am looking forward ..."

Thank you! <3

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wagner (sff180) | 49 comments Mod
Returning judge Thomas here, welcoming new judges and readers to the festivities!

message 10: by Derek (new)

Derek Bailey (drock5400) | 27 comments Really happy that this event is still going strong. The last two of these helped me find some fantastic current reads that I probably wouldn't have got to otherwise since I tend to be a little out of touch with a lot of current book releases. I don't do BookTube or anything, but I do keep a book blog and generally just love fiction in all forms. Looking forward to seeing what the group will be talking about this year!

message 11: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Glad to see more Booktube SFF Awards, it has been a good year for SF releases, if not IRL.
I'm just a viewer, occasional commenter, and general lurker.
I have been a little cheeky suggesting to almost everyone I know-ish on GR to join this group, with very little threats to vote the "right way".
(democracy doesn't always make the "right" choices!)
So you can all relax I know which is the best Novel, YA, and Graphic novel of the year and I'm willing to share what I know with you lucky people. LOL :) haha

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) I'm super excited to get back to this! I had a lot of fun following in with last year's. I'm a blogger, occasional video maker (getting better slowly), and definite lurker at times. This year we had some stellar stuff, I can't wait to see what we get on the lists. I need to catch up on these series!

message 13: by Tijn (new)

Tijn | 1 comments It's the first time I join the legions of this event, I hope some nice new writers will make it to the finals.

Lourdes (Chapters We Love) (chapterswelove) | 2 comments Hi all, My name is Lourdes I'm new to this group looking forward to reading more sff this year. I have a youtube channel and you can find me on all social media under ChaptersWeLove.

message 15: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 20 comments Hi everyone, I'm KJ and I'm a blogger over at Worlds in Ink. Can't wait to see if there are some overlooked gems to discover this year.

message 16: by Paul (last edited Feb 01, 2017 10:14AM) (new)

Paul (paul_sff) | 70 comments Yay, the year has officially begun now! Looking forward to seeing what is nominated this year. This year I'll try to read the books nominated during the readalongs instead of doing it early. Thanks everyone.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 69 comments Hi, I'm Anna, just a reader and avid follower of booktube. I'm so excited! I've been waiting for this since last year's awards show! I didn't read many of last year's nominees, but this year I'm going to read as many as possible. I'm going to skip all ongoing series, because I only read completed series, and I'm not promising to read MG and graphic works, but Adult/YA/Short as long as it's not an ongoing series, I'll read it.

I found so many new booktubers last year because they were doing babbles videos, and hoping to find more this year.

message 18: by Connor (new)

Connor (connorobrien) | 23 comments Paul wrote: "Yay, the year has officially begun now! Looking forward to seeing what is nominated this year. This year I'll try to read the books nominated during the readalongs instead of doing it early. Thanks..."

Fixed!

charlotte (menjaslibrary) (outdatedlibrary) | 1 comments Yay, I'm so excited for this! This year I have set myself a goal to join booktube and hopefully that will happen soon so I can join the conversation. Last years babble videos is what really got me into sff, so I'm very happy this is happening again. :)

message 20: by Kelsey (last edited Feb 01, 2017 11:27AM) (new)

Kelsey | 61 comments I'm Kelsey, and my YouTube channel is The Fancy Hat Lady Reads! at www.youtube.com/thefancyhatladyreads. I was brand new to Booktube this time last year, and watched these awards happening from afar.

I'm slow to read new releases and don't have a ton I'm super-enthused about from 2016 yet, but I'm hoping to binge a few more before the 14th to have some stuff to nominate!

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiereadsthings2020) | 17 comments Hi everyone, I'm Katie. I'm a booktuber ( www.youtube.com/katielovestoread ) who reads a lot of SFF so naturally I'm excited for this year's round of BooktubeSFF awards. I'm also intrigued by the middle grade category because it's not something I really read so it might be nice to dip my toe into.

I'm not sure if the babbles are happening again this year but if they are I'm excited for them because they were a really great community aspect of last year's awards and definitely help me feel that it more invested in the awards.

Anyway I'll stop rambling now but I'm excited!

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Metreveli | 1 comments I'm Anna, too shy to be a booktuber, so I'm mostly a lurker. I do, however, try to leave reviews after each book on Goodreads and occasionally post some book related stuff on my Instagram @anna_metreveli

message 23: by Renata (new)

Renata Lessa | 1 comments Hey everyone, I'm Renata and I'm just a lurker. Last year I discovered the sff part of booktube, largely because of last year's awards. Since I only found out about it through the liveshow, I didn't get to participate, but this year I intend to and I'm very excited! I'm looking forward to the readalongs.

message 24: by Maija (last edited Feb 23, 2017 05:57AM) (new)

Maija (maijavi) | 60 comments Hi, I'm Maija from Finland! My Youtube channel is Maija Reads, and @maijareads is also my twitter handle. I've been a fantasy book lover pretty much all my life, but I do read other SFF books, too.

I especially loved the Babbles videos we got to do last year, so hoping for some new topics this year! As for specific books, I have my fingers crossed for The Obelisk Gate. I'm also really interested in what will make it to the middle grade category, since I don't think I read any middle-grade SFF published last year.

It's great to see a couple of you saying that you are planning to start a booktube channel, that's awesome!

message 25: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Brinkley | 1 comments HI! I love the group rules :) My name is Phoebe and I'm new to this whole world of booktubers. I didn't even know they were a thing until a month ago, but I LOVE it. Happy to be getting my feet wet in an area I adore: reading. I'm also happy to meet people who also love reading. I'm excited to hear about new books I haven't read before.

Jane (yesmissjane) (yesmissjane) | 40 comments Hey y'all. Jane from yesmissjane here. Vote early and vote often, I say. SciFi booster who also loves a bit of fantasy on the side. I'm looking forward to something to draw my attention away from the daily news headlines: also, seeing Elizabeth in a tiara.

Jane (yesmissjane) (yesmissjane) | 40 comments Alistair wrote: "So you can all relax I know which is the best Novel, YA, and Graphic novel of the year and I'm willing to share what I know with you lucky people."

Thanks Alistair. Knowing this makes me feel so much better.

message 28: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Jane (yesmissjane) wrote: "Alistair wrote: "So you can all relax I know which is the best Novel, YA, and Graphic novel of the year and I'm willing to share what I know with you lucky people."

Thanks Alistair. Knowing this m..."

HAHA I like to please! ;)

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiereadsthings2020) | 17 comments Maija wrote: "Hi, I'm Maija! My Youtube channel is Maija Reads, and @maijareads is also my twitter handle. I've been a fantasy book lover pretty much all my life, but I do read other SFF books, too.

I especiall..."

Agree with Maija, it would be great to have more SFF booktubers! My advice is don't over think it, just give it a bash and find out if it's for you :)

message 30: by Alice (new)

Alice  (metamorphoses) | 2 comments Hi everyone, I'm Alice and I loved watching all the SFF award posts, videos, etc for the past 2 years ! 99% of what I read is SFF and most of it is adult novels but I need to start working on graphics, shorts, middle grade, ya... (I do read some sff ya though)

It was funny yesterday to suddently see all your announcement videos pop up at the same time as I was already following all the judges this year ! (sorry I didn't end up watching all the videos but for the babbles and everything else I will ;) )

As for the books, I havn't read enough 2016 releases yet to have an honest opinion, but I can't wait to see what pops up (except for every heart a doorway and ninefox gambit, we already know those will be nominated, don't we? ;) )

I've actually been wanting to start a channel too for like 6months but idk, I feel like my english isn't good enough, or actually, my accent isn't (I'm french, I can't pronounce an H to save my life). But if the babbles happen again I would love to participate... We will see what happens !

message 31: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinedenise) Yay, I'm so happy to see that the Booktube SFF Awards are back!

My name is Caroline (@color_reporter on twitter), I've been a viewer/lurker for the last two years and while I didn't participate or read a lot (2016 was filled with reading slumps) I'm still pretty excited to participate in the read-alongs this year. :)

Some of my fav.: Saga vol. 6, Pretty Deadly vol. 2 and The Dispatcher by John Scalzi (told you I barely read anything in 2016 ;)).

message 32: by Denise (new)

Denise (dlharwood) | 4 comments Woohoo, the Booktube SFF Awards are back. I starting vlogging in part to participate in the babbles last time, which means.. it's been almost a year. Eep!

My channel (like Connor) is just my name, Denise Harwood - or you can find me on twitter as @mallow_girl, where I avoid work and post cat pictures.

I'm also pretty active on Goodreads and happy for more GR friends.

There have been so many good works from last year it's been hard to choose nominations, and I'm eager to see what gets shortlisted!

message 33: by Queen (new)

Queen (inkyspyglass) | 9 comments Samantha wrote: "Hello and welcome to the 2017 #Booktube SFF Awards!

I'm Samantha from Thoughts on Tomes! I'm a new judge this year, and so hap..."

What are the "babbles" everyone is talking about? They sound like a hit!

message 34: by Katie (last edited Feb 02, 2017 01:18PM) (new)

Katie (katiereadsthings2020) | 17 comments Princess wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Hello and welcome to the 2017 #Booktube SFF Awards!

I'm Samantha from Thoughts on Tomes! I'm a new judge this..."

They are essentially video prompts, last year's included favourite lesser known fantasy books, where to start with science fiction, shortlist reflections and more.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments Hi everyone. I'm Cheryl and I'm a SFF reader and newish Booktube watcher. I'm looking forward to nominating a few books for the BooktubeSFF Award judges to consider.

Last year I tried to read more older books, but I'll have a few to toss into the ring. Also, thank you for adding the middle-grade category because I love kidslit and there is some good SFF out there now. Have a great day.

message 36: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wagner (sff180) | 49 comments Mod
Right, the Babbles are themed videos (most underrated SF, where to start reading SF, and so forth) that anyone can make.

message 37: by Simon (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:18PM) (new)

Simon (ridingabluewave) | 4 comments Hi everyone...I am Simon I am from Manchester in the North of England. I was a big SF reader in the eighties and nineties, but I drifted out of the habit of reading as life just got in the way.
The exceptions being Gaiman and Pratchett I always managed to find the time to read their work.

I was inspired to get back into reading after discovering the Booktube community. I have been trying to catch up with all the great books released during my fallow years as well as adding new titles as recommended by the enthusiastic members of the Booktube community.

I didn't read a ton of books that are eligible for the awards so I couldn't nominate in every category. Hopefully the shortlist will point me in the direction of some good short stories to read on my commute.

message 38: by Cuppiesaur (new)

Cuppiesaur | 5 comments Hi! I'm Caroline, nice to meet everyone! :D
I'm glad to see some old faces and news ones! I can't wait for the readalongs and our discussions ❤

message 39: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolepo) | 107 comments Hello everyone, I'm Nicole from Nicole's Adventures in Science Fiction. I was a judge for the awards for the past two years, but barely read in 2016 due to life. I'm really excited to see what gets nominated as I haven't read too many 2016 releases yet.

message 40: by James (last edited Feb 03, 2017 07:11PM) (new)

James Chatham (jameschatham) | 12 comments Hi all! I'm James and I do the booktube thing at James Chatham. I'm super excited for this year's awards to kick off! Definitely looking forward to seeing what gets nominated as I'm always behind on new releases (though I did have a few to throw in this year!)

message 41: by Therese (new)

Therese Lyons Walsh (therese_talks_books) | 13 comments hi Thérèse here! occasional blogger and book addict can't wait to read all the nominees!!! :)

message 42: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 4 comments Hi there! I'm Vanessa and this is the first year that I will be participating! I'm super excited!

I've already submitted my nominations and I'm looking forward to making some new bookish friends and diving into some great books!

I'm an elementary school teacher who has loved books since birth. My goal is to make sure that my students not only learn how to read well, but that they also develop a love of reading early in, one that will stay with them forever!

When I'm not busy teaching, I blog over at Owl Always Be Reading.

message 43: by Marc (new)

Marc Hola,

I found this SFF awards corner super later last year - really liked the concept - kicked up my SFF reading a lot last year in large part because of SFF booktube - looking forward to participating more...

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange) (theshadesoforange) | 27 comments Hey Everyone! I'm Rachel from TheShadesofOrange. I've been booktubing for a few years now, but only recently got into SFF. (My other loves being mysteries, suspense & psychological thrillers). My channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/TheShade...

I'm very excited to see the long list nominees this year! Since I'm still new-ish to the genrea, I'm still playing catch up on 2016 releases so the long list is going to be a great reading guide for me!

message 45: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 110 comments Mod
Hi all! (I realised I hadn't said hi yet so here I am :)

I'm Kaitlin, aka. Kitty G on Youtube and @kittygbooks on Twitter & Instagram. I'm also one of your judges and I have been since the start of the #BooktubeSFF Awards so I am really looking forward to joining back in this year.

I'm an avid SFF reader and big fan of new releases and I read A LOT in a year so narrowing down nominee choices is always tricky :D

I'm really excited for the new Children's fiction category and I can't wait to see what we end up with there as I'm not so well-versed in that area...yet!

Rachel (Kalanadi) (kalanadi) | 66 comments Hello everybody - I'm Rachel! My channel is Kalanadi, and I'm @koenix on Twitter. I mostly read adult SFF (emphasis on the science fiction).

I do absolutely terrible at participating in big group reads and discussions, but I love following awards and am excited to see the nominees and winners again this year. Really fun to see a lot of people I recognize here and I concur with other people so far - I hope these awards and the babbles inspire some people to start Booktube channels!

message 47: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 45 comments Hi all! I've been hanging around Booktube for a while, so some of you already know me (*waves to Rachel*), but if not here's a little introduction. I'm Linnea, booktuber from Sweden (if you can stand my accent, check out my channel RobotMariaReviews). I love SFF in all forms and sometimes do reviews of movies and games from said genres as well (what can I say, I'm a nerd). I also work at a planetarium, because space is awesome!

message 48: by Evil Queen Books (last edited Feb 12, 2017 11:54AM) (new)

Evil Queen Books  (evilqueenbooks) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm Jackie from Evil Queen Books on YouTube! I absolutely love reading anything in the SFF genres and I'm always looking for good recommendations! I can't wait to see all of the nominees for this year!

message 49: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 2 comments Hello! My name is Jocelyn and I have an on and off again booktube channel called The Owl's Perch. Last year, I attempted to follow along, but mostly added the nominees to my tbr. This year, I actually had something to nominate. I'm hoping to get back and regularly make videos, and hopefully read-a-long for several of the categories!

message 50: by SE (new)

SE (sebibliophile) | 16 comments Hi! Joss here. I've been a part of this group more or less since the beginning (I think) but I'm sure most of you have no idea who I am because I've mostly been lurking. I'm a pretty huge backlist reader and didn't nominate anything this year mostly because I don't think I've read much, if any, SFF published in 2016. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets nominated and how the discussions go.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.