BooktubeSFF Awards discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived (2017) > 2017 Potential Nominees

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wagner (sff180) | 49 comments Mod
The 2016 Locus Recommended Reading List is now up. Every year this is an indispensable guide, and very helpful for folks here, if you want to take part in the awards but aren't sure what was or wasn't a 2016 release. Loads of good stuff in multiple categories, so head on over.

message 2: by Kaitlin (last edited Feb 01, 2017 10:30AM) (new)

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 110 comments Mod
Nominations for the 2017 Booktube SFF Awards are almost here! Shortlist nominations will be open from February 1, 2017 to February 14, 2017. YOU CAN NOMINATE HERE: http://bit.ly/2krlCaE

For any questions about what works will qualify for each category, please check out the Booktube SFF Awards tumblr!

Discuss here any books you feel should make it onto this years nominations in preparation for voting opening.

If you have any additional questions on what qualifies, feel free to ask!

message 3: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments I'm not a reader of YA let alone middle grade so a stupid question.
I've nominated On The Edge Of Gone by Corinne Duyvis in the YA category, is it YA?
It asks some interesting questions about what a life is worth, and what makes us "civilized" human beings, it might be YA only because the lead character is young'? IIt could just as easily been fitted into Best Novel if the other "competitors" weren't so strong this year.

message 4: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Alistair wrote: "
I've nominated On The Edge Of Gone by Corinne Duyvis in the YA category, is it YA?..."

Hello! On the Edge of Gone was definitely marketed as a YA novel so it's correct going in t..."

Thanks for the quick response.
And from your answer I can expect at least 2 nominations for "Edge of Gone" makes up for Thomas trying to slip Arabella into his introduction video LOL :)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiereadsthings2020) | 17 comments Every Heart a Doorway is 164 pages long so I assume it's a best novel as opposed to a best short fiction candidate? Also I'm hoping to see either Arcadia (published in the US in 2016) and or Ninefox Gambit on the short list!

message 6: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Katie wrote: "Every Heart a Doorway is 164 pages long so I assume it's a best novel as opposed to a best short fiction candidate? Also I'm hoping to see either Arcadia (published in the US in 2016) and or Ninefo..."

I'm going for "Nice Fox" I had assumed Arcadia was out of time, otherwise, it would have been my number 2 nominee.
Nine Fox for the win!!
Then we can put those heretics in their place!

message 7: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 61 comments I'm hoping magical realism is eligible as SFF, since When the Moon Was Ours has been my favorite 2016 release I've read thus far. (It's on the Locus YA list, so I'm assuming so unless someone contradicts me.)

Jane (yesmissjane) (yesmissjane) | 40 comments The Lie Tree by Francis Hardinge: Middle Grade or Young Adult?

Jane (yesmissjane) (yesmissjane) | 40 comments BTW, would Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff be eligible? I see the Locus list has it under Horror...

message 10: by Phil On The Hill (new)

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) I always struggle as I tend to read as paperback and so read very little published in the year being discussed. I would beg that next year the award covers a two year period as I am sure this would give people a more representative list of what they have read and enjoyed.

I shall just nominate loads of Sanderson this year to keep Elizabeth happy...yes, I am a bad person.

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinedenise) Hello! I have a trick question. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi was released in 2016 on Audible and Locus has it listed under Novellas, but it will be released in hardback in 2017. Can I nominate it this year?

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) | 44 comments Jane (yesmissjane) wrote: "The Lie Tree by Francis Hardinge: Middle Grade or Young Adult?"

I've always heard it marked as Middle Grade, though it's pretty dark. It is a tricky one.
Nine Fox definitely has my vote as well, I'm pretty sold on that one. Though I'm also curious about Every Heart. It was sold as a novella, from their novella line, though it is a bit longer than the others.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiereadsthings2020) | 17 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Every Heart A Doorway is 160 pages so just scrapes over our rule (which we put in because we had to have something to differentiate shorter works) but, yes, I agree that as something marketed as a ..."

Woops I've nominated it as best novel so ignore you're going to consider it a short work sorry for that in advance Elizabeth

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) | 44 comments That sounds good, whatever the judges decide works for me! It is an interesting dilemma.

message 15: by Thomas (new)

Yes, I think we're going to have to disqualify The Lie Tree as it is definitely a 2015 title. And we've decided to treat Every Heart a Doorway as a short work because although the Tor edition just squeaks past our 150-page criterion, its word count is 38K, just under the 40K upper limit for novellas as per Hugo/Nebula standards. Plus it's being marketed as a novella, and is definitely being categorized as such by the Hugos and Nebs.

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Looking for short story recommendations? Here are some of the most upvoted titles in the short story category for this year's Nebula Recommended Reading List, with links:

"This Is Not a Wardrobe Door" by A. Merc Rustad
"Welcome to the Medical Clinic at the Interplanetary Relay Station | Hours Since the Last Patient Death: 0" by Caroline M. Yoachim
"Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies" by Brooke Bolander
"17 Amazing Plot Elements… When You See #11 You'll Be Astounded" by James Beamon
"Things With Beards" by Sam J. Miller
"Life in Stone, Glass, and Plastic" by José Pablo Iriarte
"43 Responses to 'In Memory of Dr. Alexandra Nako'" by Barbara A. Barnett
"The Right Sort of Monsters" by Kelly Sandoval

Jane (yesmissjane) (yesmissjane) | 40 comments Thomas wrote: "Yes, I think we're going to have to disqualify The Lie Tree as it is definitely a 2015 title. "

eek!!! I clearly haven't been paying attention... I was sure this was 2016!

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments Sarah wrote: "Jane (yesmissjane) wrote: "The Lie Tree by Francis Hardinge: Middle Grade or Young Adult?"

I've always heard it marked as Middle Grade, though it's pretty dark. It is a tricky one. .."

My library is shelving it in YA even though there is a (young) teen protag. I gather this is because of some subject matter? Just from the topics mentioned in the library blurbs, I don't think it fits well in Middle Grade. Just my opinion, though, which I might change once I've read it. It's winging it's way to me as I type. :)

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments I will be nominating The Key to Extraordinary by Natalie Lloyd for Middle Grade. Magical realism. Ms Lloyd is a lovely writer for children. Please consider giving it a read.

message 20: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 03, 2017 09:37AM) (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments Also, I have another Middle Grade book that I want to nominate but it is also a graphic novel. So, hmmm.

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier. I'm hoping it would land in the Middle Grade category because it's really not going to compete with adult graphic novels. What say the judges?

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) | 44 comments Cheryl wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jane (yesmissjane) wrote: "The Lie Tree by Francis Hardinge: Middle Grade or Young Adult?"

I've always heard it marked as Middle Grade, though it's pretty dark. It is a tricky one. ...."

The subject matter is a bit dark for what I consider Middle Grade too, and when I read it I thought it'd be YA but every time I asked I was told it was original sold as MG. Surprised me, but since then I've always seen it as MG. I think it may be one of those sold as one thing but definitely another situations.

message 22: by Queen (new)

Queen (inkyspyglass) | 9 comments What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015 but the first collected volume came out in 2016.

message 23: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 61 comments I think The Lie Tree was published in the US in 2016, but in the UK in 2015. My understanding is that eligibility is based on English-language publication and not on American publication? Can we get clarification/confirmation of that?

But I would consider it YA, not middle grade. It's shelved as YA at Barnes & Noble, at least. I think some of Hardinge's previous books may have been marketed as middle grade though, and I don't know if it's being marketed differently in the UK.

On a tangent, I haven't read This Savage Song, and don't particularly intend to, but my understanding is that that one is marketed as YA in some countries and as adult in others. I expect it'll be popular. Thoughts?

message 24: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Princess wrote: "What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015 but the first collected volume came out in 2016."

well....I think it should be the volume.
It is what I've nominated for best graphic novel.

message 25: by Marc (new)

Marc Thanks for the Locus list Thomas - a lot of 2016 was spent reading older SF - the K Stan Robbie Mars Trilogy, Rendezvous with Rama, etc. I didn't hit a lot of new stuff - however so glad to see writers like Colson Whitehead on the list and so widely discussed in SF circles and on sff booktube sff podcasts, etc. I just started Underground Railroad but The Intuitionist is one of my favorite novels novels of the past couple years and as someone who indulges in the ZA genre from time to time (shhh) Zone One was a real hoot...

message 26: by Queen (new)

Queen (inkyspyglass) | 9 comments Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015 but the first collected volume came out in 2016."
..."

Alistair, you've been quite vocal about which novel you're rooting for, but I'm wondering what are your graphic choices? Do you think it's very clear like for best novel? I'm having a lot of trouble narrowing down my favorites... (gotten it down to Descender, Monstress, Paper Girls, Rat Queens - any opinions on this list?)

message 27: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Princess wrote: "Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015 but the first collected volume ca..."

Yes, of course, I have "opinions"! :)

Monstress is my pick, I think it wins on the 'art' alone. I quite like the "art-deco" style and although only volume 1 the story is promising, I like the steam punk-ish thing mixed with the fantasy "vibe".
For my 2nd nominee, I went for Clean Room by Gail Simone, it's perhaps as much in the horror genre as SFF, and again only vol1 so hard to say which way it'll go? I mainly picked that one coz no one seems to have read it. (the only book/comic reviewer I've seen mention it rated it as one of her favourite "female lead" comics.
Descender 1&2 were good and #3 is "winging" its way to me as I type! I like the watercolour style art (but Monstress better!)
I haven't read Paper Girls, and only 1&2 of Rat Queens (a fun concept but an Elf and an Orc getting it together just didn't sit right with me, probably spent too long in Middle Earth as a child?)
The other one I thought about nominating (but thought someone else would) is I Hate Fairyland.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) | 44 comments Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015 but the first co..."

Oh man, Monstress was an amazing graphic novel. I have to agree with that one. Like you said, the art alone in that one was worth a nomination. I hadn't been so enchanted by a graphic novel's artwork since I was a child. So very good. The story was also way up my street too.
And I also agree about I Hate Fairyland. It was super fun, I would love to see more people read that one.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) | 44 comments I'd like to throw Alyssa Wong out there for people looking for more Short Story nomination choices. I do believe she has (at least) two possible picks up for the nomination? A Fistful of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers and You'll Surely Drown Here if You Stay. I'll have to double check length reqs but both came out in 2016 and I believe both are free online.

message 30: by Queen (new)

Queen (inkyspyglass) | 9 comments Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015 but the first co..."

Cool, I haven't read Clean Room and will have to check it out! Also, if you're still interested in Rat Queens, volume 3 is better than the first two (both in story and art).

message 31: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments thanks, I'll put Rat Queens #3 on the TBR.
It's turning into quite a "heavy" graphic novel week. Not only is Descender #3 on the way I have The Snowman Killer waiting for me. (not a Booktube SFF read, an oldish French graphic novel that is sitting there tempting me, but I must be strong and concentrate on Booktube SFF!) :)

message 32: by Cuppiesaur (new)

Cuppiesaur | 5 comments Thomas wrote: "Looking for short story recommendations? Here are some of the most upvoted titles in the short story category for this year's Nebula Recommended Reading List, with links:

► "This Is Not a Wardrobe..."

Thank you so much for this, Thomas! I'm gonna try to check all this out and some others that I found before the deadline. :*

message 33: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Sarah wrote: "I'd like to throw Alyssa Wong out there for people looking for more Short Story nomination choices. I do believe she has (at least) two possible picks up for the nomination? A Fistful of Permutatio..."

It's looking like I'll be reading a lot of short stories, Wong and Thomas' list.
Should be fun.

I haven't nominated any short stories/novella's/novelettes but seeing all the category available is making me feel like I need a
"Library Scientist" :)

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) | 44 comments Alistair wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'd like to throw Alyssa Wong out there for people looking for more Short Story nomination choices. I do believe she has (at least) two possible picks up for the nomination? A Fistful..."

Haha, it's hard to track them down unless you are actively looking for them I know. I'd also check out Tor.com, they have a ton of free stories on their site. You can usually get eBook copies of all of them for a dollar from the shop, but you can't beat free! There were some really good ones this year.

message 35: by Denise (new)

Denise (dlharwood) | 4 comments Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015 but the first co..."

... I'd mention that I just ordered Clean Room based off your nomination, but I wouldn't want you to get a big head.

message 36: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Denise wrote: "Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "Alistair wrote: "Princess wrote: "What counts as the publication date for comics? Issue or Volume? For instance, I think the first Monstress issue came out in 2015..."

haha!
I'm touched by your concern for the cost of my hats. :)

message 37: by Thomas (new)

Here is Alyssa Wong's "You'll Surely Drown Here If You Stay".

message 38: by Alistair (last edited Feb 09, 2017 05:53AM) (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Sarah wrote: "I'd like to throw Alyssa Wong out there for people looking for more Short Story nomination choices. I do believe she has (at least) two possible picks up for the nomination? A Fistful of Permutatio..."

Read the 2 'Wongs' mentioned, both good, although I preferred
A Fistful of Permutations.........

message 39: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Alistair wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'd like to throw Alyssa Wong out there for people looking for more Short Story nomination choices. I do believe she has (at least) two possible picks up for the nomination? A Fistful..."

WOW!!!!!!
From The Nebula list The Thing With Beards by Samuel J Miller
WOW!!!!! :)

message 40: by Thomas (new)

Yeah. Seconded. Was not expecting that.

message 41: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 2 comments I have a question about the qualification of a book, The Devourers by Indra Das. I got an email saying it didn't qualify since it was published in 2015, but it was republished in North America in 2016.

message 42: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 2 comments Ok, thanks for the clarification.

message 43: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 61 comments Similarly (but in the other direction), I'm counting on others to nominate books like A Closed and Common Orbit, which I won't be reading until after its American print release next month!

message 44: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 45 comments I'm usually a couple of years behind on my reading (lol), so I haven't read that much noteworthy from 2016 yet, but in the YA category I would recommend checking out The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury. I thought the world-building in that one was pretty neat.

message 45: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Thomas wrote: "The 2016 Locus Recommended Reading List is now up. Every year this is an indispensable guide, and very helpful for folks here, if you want to take part in the awards but aren't sure what was or was..."

been looking through the Locus 2016 list and a lot of good stories there! Was surprised by how many I'd read.
It's going to make choosing the favourite "short" really hard.

Thought I'd suggest reading Unauthorized Access
by An Owomoyela from Lightspeed issue 76, Sept 2016.

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiereadsthings2020) | 17 comments Thomas wrote: "Looking for short story recommendations? Here are some of the most upvoted titles in the short story category for this year's Nebula Recommended Reading List, with links:

► "This Is Not a Wardrobe..."

Just binge read a bunch of these and I kind of wish I hadn't just left the short fiction section blank when I submitted because A Fistful of Permutations and This is Not a Wardrobe Door were just my type of thing. Thomas, I think you may have changed my mind on short fiction you craft individual you.

message 47: by Thomas (last edited Feb 11, 2017 12:03PM) (new)

Katie wrote: I kind of wish I hadn't just left the short fiction section blank

I think it's still possible to go in and edit your ballot.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahofthebooks) | 44 comments Alistair wrote: "Alistair wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'd like to throw Alyssa Wong out there for people looking for more Short Story nomination choices. I do believe she has (at least) two possible picks up for the nomi..."

That one was great! I picked it up after seeing your comment and 'Wow' indeed!

message 49: by Marc (new)

Marc I just finished Underground Railroad by C Whitehead - I loved it but after finishing it I'm shocked it showed up on so many SF/F lists - its much more historical fiction or an amalgamation of diaries - what fits into SF/F and what doesn't as someone new-ish the genres is a constant surprise - It would seem Infinite Jest or Inherent Vice or even Naked Lunch would qualify as SF/F if Underground Railroad slips through the SF/F door - by all means I'd urge y'all to read the book - its fantastic, just curious how things gets swept up and categorized...

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiereadsthings2020) | 17 comments Marc wrote: "I just finished Underground Railroad by C Whitehead - I loved it but after finishing it I'm shocked it showed up on so many SF/F lists - its much more historical fiction or an amalgamation of diari..."

I think it's considered SFF because it's an alternate history in that the Underground Railroad is a real railroad in the book as opposed to the metaphor that it was historically.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.