What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Girl Jumping Over a Fence??

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments It was a middle grade novel and all I remember is the cover. There was a red-haired girl jumping over a fence (or leaning on a fence?) and maybe there was a farmer in the story. Or she lived in a farm? She reminded me of a Pippi Longstocking or Anne-type protagonist. I used to take it out from the library when I was a kid in the mid-90s, so pub date would be at least 20 years ago.

message 2: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1200 comments Caddie Woodlawn was a redheaded girl who lived on a farm and there have been lots of editions of the two books about her, but I couldn't find one showing her jumping over a fence (though she is a tomboy and that would not be out of character).

Here are a few covers from the 90s: Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink Caddie Woodlawn's Family by Carol Ryrie Brink Magical Melons by Carol Ryrie Brink

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Katie, Caddie Woodlawn sounds like a good match. Is it the book? Let us know, please. We will keep looking if it is not.
Caddie Woodlawn

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15211 comments Still looking, Katie?

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1872 comments Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin is very similar to Anne of Green Gables. Here's a cover where she's leaning on a fence:
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin
... and another:
...and there are possibly more if you look through all the editions.

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1872 comments Becca wrote: "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin is very similar to Anne of Green Gables. Here's a cover where she's leaning on a fence:
... and anot..."

Sorry - just realised that Rebecca isn't a redhead. The story shares so many similarities with Anne of Green Gables that I misremembered - which could have happened to you too?

There's also this Red Hair list that might have some more options.