Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > "Creator" as author role

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3042 comments Should such role be present?

I thought it was present only on public domain publisher's works, added even for the illustrators and translators there (with respective "Ill" or "Tr" added to the name) and I've been removing that role.

I just noticed librarian edits of adding "Creator" as role and I'm not certain it's flaggable, but it doesn't look fine (to me) either.

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments I thought all those were done by bots so I usually drop them if I'm editing authors. Plus often the bots are wrong and "creator" = editor, translator, publisher or any other role really!

message 3: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3042 comments Oh, yes, editors, too: name + "Ed", role: "Creator" :)

My question is: if librarian is adding such role is that mistake? If yes, is it flaggable? (I do feel like I'm nitpicking).

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments If it's a bot-librarian, i.e. an automatic import, then Staff like to know so that they can amend the scripts. But just tell them the once so they have an idea. If you can add the feed name (librarian name) I think that helps too, but I may be wrong.

If it's a human librarian, maybe a quiet word first and then flag if they persist.

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3042 comments It's a human librarian, but I kind of understood their meaning now (after combining some works). Some "Vampire diaries" books appear to have been written after the TV series, covers say "based on the novels by L.J. Smith and the TV series developed by Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec"

Wikipedia says "attributed to Lisa Jane Smith but actually ghostwritten": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vam...

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1764 comments I've only seen the role used when a different author continues a series after the original author's death. In that case, to me it makes sense to have that role listed.

i.e. Jason Bourne books, here is book 12 for example https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 7: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3042 comments Melanie wrote: "I've only seen the role used when a different author continues a series after the original author's death. In that case, to me it makes sense to have that role listed.

i.e. Jason Bourne books, her..."

Yes, "Series Creator" sounds less confusing to me (for these purposes). I've also seen "Original Idea" used.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23777 comments I added Creator the other day to books from a TV series. The creator was on the cover as well as the author. The author was in 1st place & the creator in 2nd.