Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Looking for a Project? > Greek Author needing work

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emy (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:43AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments A variation on this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Part 1

Cavafy/Cavafis is a mess, and I think we need some discussion over forms before it becomes a Project...

C.P. Cavafy is the same as Constantine P. Cavafy and Constantinos P. Cavafis.
The latter has the better profile but many books have the former two versions on the covers. There are also covers showing Konstantinos Kavafis and Konstantinos Petrou Kavafis which would need the same treatment.

His name in his native language is Κ.Π. Καβάφης.

Using the old Wikipedia-name guideline, the main profile should be Constantine P. Cavafy but NONE of the book records use that (only a quote).

The forms in use on Goodreads currently are:

Greek:
Κ.Π. Καβάφης

English:
C.P. Cavafy
Constantine P. Cavafy
Constantinos P. Cavafis
Konstantinos Kavafis
Konstantinos Petrou Kavafis

Issues:
C/Konstantine vs K/Constantinos
K/Cavafis vs Cavafy

EDIT - Extra variants (some for specific locations):
Konstandinos Kavafis
K.P. Kavafis
K.P. Kavaphes ("Scandinavian spelling")
Konstantino Kavafis
Constantin Cavafy
Konstantin Kavafis

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments Issues that need fixing:

1. Whatever profile is agreed as the default, then those covers which show alternate variations need that adding as a secondary author.

2. Cavafis/Cavafy published some (if not all) of his works in Greek first, meaning they need Κ.Π. Καβάφης adding to those records as a second / third author (depending on whether the record is affected by #1).

Smaller:
3. C.P. Cavafy has two quotes that need moving to the main profile and adding to the relevant book. Same goes for Constantine P. Cavafy (1 quote). I have no idea what book(s) they come from, sorry.

message 3: by Emy (last edited Jan 31, 2017 03:46AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments For Spanish editions:

Author #2 (if on cover of course): Konstantino Kavafis
Author #3: Greek variant

Example (currently needs Greek variant adding):
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments For Russian editions:

Author #2: Константинос Кавафис

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41427 comments Mod
Emy wrote: "Using the old Wikipedia-name guideline"

Not certain what you mean by this, but we would generally use the Library of Congress to determine which English version of an author's name is primary.

message 6: by Emy (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:50AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5020 comments rivka wrote: "Emy wrote: "Using the old Wikipedia-name guideline"

Not certain what you mean by this, but we would generally use the Library of Congress to determine which English version of an author's name is ..."

"Conventional usage" I think was the reference, but I prefer LC so that's good :)

Here's the LC link: https://lccn.loc.gov/n79069930
Cavafy, Constantine, 1863-1933, so Constantine Cavafy.

Not having gone through the works extensively (I came across him while doing something completely different, as always happens), I can't say to what extent the middle initial is used.

Ah! LC cites Encyclopaedia Britannica saying "Cavafy, Constantine, pen name of Konstantinos Petrou Kavafis"

Rivka, would you therefore suggest that for Goodreads purposes the books should have:

1. Constantine Cavafy (established form per LC) - didn't exist until I added it a second ago.
2. Variant as per cover (e.g. Konstantinos Kavafis)

Or

1. Constantine P. Cavafy (more complete form to encompass C.P. Cavafy and Constantine Cavafy) - currently only has quotes.
2. Cover Variant

Or should all editions also have his actual name too (Konstantinos Kavafis / Konstantinos Petrou Kavafis)? My only concern is that Cavafy wouldn't return results for Kavafis and vice versa, but maybe (significant) cross-referencing will sort that out. The current existing catch-all (created by merging other profiles by the looks of it) is Constantinos P. Cavafis, so whatever we do they'll all need checking out from there rather than a straight up change I guess!

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41427 comments Mod
I think option #2 sounds good.