Middle East/North African Lit discussion

Birds of Amber
This topic is about Birds of Amber
2016 main board > Birds of ambre by Ibrahim Abdel Meguid

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niledaughter (last edited Jan 31, 2017 02:33AM) (new) - added it

Niledaughter | 2748 comments Mod
Here we are going to discuss Birds of Amber by Ibrahim Abdel Meguid . The novel is the second part of Alexandria Trilogy , the trilogy paints portraits of Alexandria in three different periods , the first is during WW2 , the second after 1965 war and the third one- which is not available in English yet - is taking place during the 70s . Each part of the trilogy can be read as a separate novel , as what links the novels together is : "The hero is the city" .

- Here is an interesting review for birds of Ambre
https://www.jstor.org/stable/27933936...

N.B
- No One Sleeps in Alexandria was discussed in here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Anyone is reading this book ?

message 3: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 750 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Anyone is reading this book ?"

Is it standalone or is it better to read No One Sleeps in Alexandria first?

you do not need to read (No one sleeps in Alexandria) frist. totally new characters, I already started reading .

message 5: by Sue (last edited Feb 12, 2017 10:52PM) (new) - added it

Sue | 625 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Anyone is reading this book ?"

I have just begun but will definitely be reading this. I already like the style of writing which I enjoyed so much in No One Sleeps in Alexandria. From what I understand, the trilogy is more about the events and peoples of Alexandria at differnt times in the post WWII years and there is no problem at all in reading this book out of order. I haven't seen any link so far in my brief introduction to this second book. (I may lag behind a bit as I just moved on the first and have lots of unfinished things to do!)

I am glad you are joining me Sue :D
I read seven chapters so far , the author introduced so many characters so far , I wonder when he will link them together , I do not remember that is how the story line was in (No one sleeps in Alexandria) .

message 7: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 750 comments Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to read this one, so will have to skip.

message 8: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 625 comments Niledaughter wrote: "I am glad you are joining me Sue :D
I read seven chapters so far , the author introduced so many characters so far , I wonder when he will link them together , I do not remember that is how the st..."

I read the introduction that seemed to indicate there are going to be 4 or 5 main characters or pairs of characters. And of course they will have other connections. In the first book, as I remember it, everything seemed to stem from one family and then they made connections once in the city. I will have to catch up with you as I've only read a chapter, I believe.

Lila , I understand ...so many books to read !
Sue , take your time , I am a slow reader ;)

message 10: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 625 comments Thanks, I seem to be, once again, in the middle of a bunch of books, all of which I really want to read.

message 11: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

How is your reading now ?

message 12: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 625 comments I have now read six chapters and am slowly being introduced to such a variety of characters. I really like Meguid's writing style. I have the feeling of being in the city with these people. I'm not trying to memorize the individual people--there seem to be too many for that--but I'm hoping that details of important individuals will stick with me through repetition in the story.

How are you doing with it?

message 13: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

I have not read more than you
the 7 chapters I read before so we are both on the same track . I have a mess in reading now , hope to continue soon