Poldark Saga - Winston Graham discussion

About the Characters > George Warleggan: Book v TV adaptation

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 28 comments I thought I'd start this topic and let some light shine down onto one of my favourite characters in the series. A man that needs no introduction [insert drum roll please] ... Sir George Warleggan!

Now I say he's one of my favourite characters as I am a little jealous of him and his family's rise from humble blacksmithing to notoriously aggressive finance tycoons. I am also equally saddened for him as I got to know him better through the character building that Graham has provided us. I actually think he's one of the more thought out characters in the series, that comes with depth and a reason for what he does or does not do. Something that I at times struggle to see in other characters in the series. Perhaps it's because he is meant to be despised to a degree and that the character had to have a universal meaning for readers to not like him.

I'm interested to know what others think about this character especially how his character has been lifted from the series and placed in the world of TV lah lah land.

Let's start it off.... My short but possibly disputed opinion is that the latest Tv adaptation has successfully made George into a more horrible, greedy, self centred, opportunistic, cold hearted [etc] person. I don't like it. Plain and simple, I think they they went too far... Do you agree?

message 2: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:28AM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Evelyn wrote: "My short but possibly disputed opinion is that the latest Tv adaptation has successfully made George into a more horrible, greedy, self centred, opportunistic, cold hearted [etc] person. I don't like it. Plain and simple, I think they they went too far... Do you agree? "

I think even in the books George had few (if any) redeeming qualities in the beginning. He had is uncle Cary working to turn him to the dark side and he had his father trying to give some balance. Eliminating the role of the father makes George LOOK more cold-hearted, when even his uncle is arguing for moderation. It will be interesting to watch as the series progresses how George is portrayed and (view spoiler) He's going to be a pretty awful person in Season 3, I think. It wasn't until the later books that we really start to see George as a person and his "inner workings." At that point he shows one or two redeeming moments.

message 3: by Brenda (last edited Jan 31, 2017 07:59AM) (new)

Brenda McDonald | 74 comments Evelyn wrote: "I thought I'd start this topic and let some light shine down onto one of my favourite characters in the series. A man that needs no introduction [insert drum roll please] ... Sir George Warleggan! ..."

I agree that George seems more cold-blooded in the TV series. I wonder how his character will grow or be more revealed as the TV series continues.

In the books I actually came to feel compassion for George. I think he truly loved Elizabeth (view spoiler)

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 41 comments I lean towards villain, but I think I might be more on the fence the more I read the books.. the show doesn't really explore that.

message 5: by Mara (new)

Mara | 111 comments Evelyn wrote: "I thought I'd start this topic and let some light shine down onto one of my favourite characters in the series. A man that needs no introduction [insert drum roll please] ... Sir George Warleggan! ..."

Great topic! I mainly have a gripe: that the show spends more time than NEEDED on him that could have been focused on Ross & Demelza. We didn't NEED to see George practicing his boxing THAT MANY times. We didn't NEED to see him run to or send Tankard to Elizabeth at Trenwith with his scare tactics THAT MANY times.

That is time they could have used to show Ross trying to woo back Demelza. Remember the lead up to the shopping trip in the book? The trip itself? The afterward? I would've LOVED to see those scenes and others. It would have given Tomlinson a chance to show Demelza's vulnerable, hopeful side instead of just the bitterness many complained about. Instead we get that shabby gesture from Ross as he pours coins into Demelza's hands. It was a well acted scene, but not a substitution.

message 6: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 28 comments Oh so many things I can get upset about, with the way he is brought to life.

Boxing for sport and being good at it, in the tv series.... If I remember correctly George was a terrible boxer and generally refrained from physical violence and he was not accustomed to it. Ross on the other hand, had more than his fair share of fights and physical altercations. A bruised eye, cut lip, cracked rib... Pft... But in the TV series George is shown to like and actively partake in (and be good at????) boxing/sparing. Does my memory fail me?

It's little things like this that have me scratching my head thinking where are they taking his character as it seems to veer off track at times. What are they going to do when they have to portray Osbourne? How more villainous-off are thy going to make him? Is the series going to get darker the more we move through the novels?

Popcorn at the ready!

message 7: by Deb (new)

Deb | 7 comments Yeah, this is the one casting decision that I've had issues with ... nothing personal against Jack Farthing, but he is completely the opposite of WG's original characterisation. The book character was big and solid with a bullneck. He didn't get involved in fistfights much, except with Ross on occasion, and didn't need personal fight training - he was intimidating enough just in appearance alone! And if all else failed, a dirty letter from Warleggan's Bank was usually enough to do his talking for him!