World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > Book, hook and spook -:)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13507 comments What spy thrillers hooked you the most and why?

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 48 comments There are many but Ben Macintyre stands out, Apart from intensive research, of course, his non-fiction books are written with humour and drama - so exciting they read like fiction.

I started with Operation Mincemeat Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory. What an audacious story that filled me with incredulity and surprise.

//www.goodreads.com/book/show/7632329

then
Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal (about Eddie Chapman, his bizarre behaviour, clever skills and allegiance to his German spymaster and to British intelligence)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

My plan is to read many more of his books too.

message 3: by M.L. (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

M.L. The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. It's a great book, exciting, tense, you see the story from the perspective of the 'jackal' - who is out to assassinate Charles de Gaulle - the investigator who is after him, and others, the British, the French police; it's a great chase and account of police procedures. It takes place in a number of locations and always feels authentic; it incorporates historical aspects. Also the title in itself is compelling. Great title. It's one of the few books I've read twice. Maybe I'll read it again!

There have been others since, but The Day of The Jackal set a benchmark.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13507 comments Any more fans of spy thrillers perchance?

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9520 comments I quite like a good spy thriller.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Day of the Jackal (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Frederick Forsyth (other topics)