What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book about a working horse named Sparky, possibly set in Victorian times

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 9 comments I read this in primary school in the 1990s, maybe 1995/6. It was a book printed with pictures in either black and white or sepia (something is telling me sepia). It was about a horse called Sparky who had to pull a cart and it feels like it was Victorian times. It was possibly one of a series of books. Unfortuntely I can't remember any other details just now!

message 2: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 855 comments Probably too late and too adult for what you're looking for, but this non-fiction book has sepia photos and a story about a horse named Sparky - Horse People: Writers and Artists on their Love of Horses

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 9 comments Hi, I checked that out there. I don't think that's the one, I'm afraid. As I remember this was one you get in primary school, so big font and only about 10 pages!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 9 comments It was a non-fiction book and was used in primary school in Northern Ireland to help children with their reading. So even if anyone knows where I could find a reading list used by schools in the 1990s?

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Bennett | 85 comments Just wondering if he was a pit pony? Sparky was the oldest pit pony in Britain so it's possible that someone wrote a book about him. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/b... Not sure if this helps or further confuses issues!

message 6: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1200 comments This is a UK reading program book with a horse named Sparky from 1986: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ginn-Reading...

I couldn't find a goodreads listing for it.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37356 comments Mod
Ashley, are you still looking for this or did you find it?