Goodreads Ireland discussion

We are all completely beside ourselves
Previous Monthly Reads > Feb: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the discussion thread for We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

Susan | 4707 comments I am excited to talk about this book. I read it several years ago. A little background- it's set in a town that is pretty close to me- about 15 miles from Sacramento where I lived for 35 years. It's an university town and very very hip. There are almost no cars, almost everyone bikes. It has one of the very few veterinary schools in the country let alone on the West Coast. I ran a science math club for 7th-9th grader girls several years ago and I took them over to visit the vet school. There are a lot of girls who want to be vets at that age. It's an impressive school and they run regular tours. It is also a big bone of contention. It's part of the University of California system which means its main funding comes from the Calif. taxpayers. Unfortunately, the leader of the system has been accepting a lot of international students and out of state students to get the higher tuition payments. Taxpayers feel that since they have been paying for it for years that their students should have first priority. It is even harder because there are so few vet schools (I think like 3 on the West Coast).

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Thanks for the background Susan. I have the book for a couple of years now on my literal TBR pile. So I am ready to start today (a day early I know).

Susan | 4707 comments The book was nothing like I thought it would be when I read it. I was quite surprised. I hope you like it.

Margo I am a little astonished that a book I nominated finally won. This is a book I never have thought of reading had it not been for Seraphina and, more recently a friend from my live book club, highly recommending it.

I would suggest going into it without reading any spoilers and just let the story unfold. It is a truly unique work and is roughly based on real events that took place in the 1930's but is imagined by the author as having happened more recently.

I hope you will all take a chance and read it. As Susan said, it should be a great discussion book.

message 6: by Maria Hill (last edited Jan 31, 2017 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Yes, I would second that you need to be very wary of spoilers on this one and avoid reading the reviews of it on GR. One of them gave the game away for me unfortunately.

However the first 35 pages are so much fun! I love the narrator.

Margo Maria wrote: "Yes, I would second that you need to be very wary of spoilers on this one and avoid reading the reviews on it on GR. One of them gave the game away for me unfortunately.

However the first 35 page..."

Unfortunately my book club friend gave me a massive clue by recommending another at the same time. I definitely want to read the other book but will refrain from telling you what it is ;-)

Lorraine | 152 comments I read this a couple of years ago and I loved it. I won't say anything until the spoiler thread.

Margo Lorraine wrote: "I read this a couple of years ago and I loved it. I won't say anything until the spoiler thread."

I look to forward to reading your thoughts then Lorraine :-)

Bookworm with Kids | 566 comments Mod
Will you tell us the name of the other book when we have finished this one, Margo?

Margo I certainly will ;-)

message 12: by Myra (new)

Myra (myrajoyce) This book sounds really good. I made a note to look for it tomorrow on amazon.

message 13: by Margo (last edited Feb 01, 2017 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Margo Myra wrote: "This book sounds really good. I made a note to look for it tomorrow on amazon."

The PB is $9.60 on amazon.com (€7.99 on .co.uk). The kindle version is is $4.98 (€3.99).

I got it on audible and, while I've heard worse, did not like the narrators voice.

message 14: by Serf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Serf I'd imagine it's going to be quite a divisive book. after finishing it last year, I read reviews and saw alot if people disliked it while I really loved it. I enjoyed the development of relationships and the fact the story is quite unusual. be interesting to see what the group thinks of it as a whole

Emmet (mremmet) | 39 comments I loved this book, I'm looking forward to getting into discussion on it! Hopefully I'll find an hour or two to skim over it

Margo It is a really unusual story line. I can't wait to begin discussing either ;-)

I was interested to see that she is also the author of The Jane Austen Book Club. I can't imagine a more different book! I have to admit I didn't actually read the book but I wasn't too impressed with the film. Has anyone read that, or any of her other books?

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Margo I read It and I really didn't like it . I didn't hate it but to me it was boring . I didn't see the movie so I can't compare .

Margo Yeah, I'd class the film of The Jane Austen Book Club as a romcom. Not my favorite genre.

message 19: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Pretty much why I didn't watch the movie . I don't like them either . I'm going to wait and see how people feel about this one and maybe I'll read it ...

Margo So far everyone who's read it seems to have liked it. I hope there are a couple that don't like it - it makes for better chat ;-p

message 21: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments That's true :)

Bookworm with Kids | 566 comments Mod
I really wasn't sure about this book when I started it. I didn't know where it was going and thd jumps in time made me wonder if I was ever going to get the whole story. But it really was compelling and I read it in a weekend. Mind you, I was away on a girly weekend in a spa where lying around reading or doing nothing was positively encouraged so it wasn't hard to find the reading time! I can't wait to read people's comments when the spoiler thread is open!

Susan | 4707 comments I had the same reaction. It was slow going at first and I almost gave it up several times but once it got started going, it really got going.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I am the opposite, I love when books jump around in time, so l have found the begining quite a fast read.

Margo I found it a bit of a slow starter too but once I got a whiff of the plot I was hooked.

Camilla, I also love it when real historical events are brought into a story. It gives it so much context.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I am about half way through. Is anyone finding it a little too technical in the factual bits? I also think some of this important message should not be interfering with the flow of the factual elements.

Still really liking it though.

Margo Have to say I liked the bits of Psychology thrown in.

message 28: by Kara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara | 106 comments can't wait to read this book! planning on buying off book depository soon.

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments This was a very quick read for me, I finished it in a little more than a day. I enjoyed it but didn't like it as much as several others here. I felt it was a little confusing with the starting in the middle bit. I look forward to more discussion when the spoiler thread is opened.

Margo I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on it Donna.

Can you say "hearing" in this situation? Its more correct to say seeing but that read right :-\

Fiona (fiona11) | 6 comments Hi everyone, just wondering where the spoiler thread for this is... I thought I saw it the other day but can't find it anywhere!?!

On a side note, just finished the book. Very much enjoyed the writing style and time jumps but still not 100% on the plot...

Susan | 4707 comments Fiona, are you new to our group? If so, welcome. Who is that adorable baby in your arms?

Fiona (fiona11) | 6 comments Yes! I joined about 3 weeks ago :) That is Oscar last week at his christening, 16 weeks and growing fast!

message 34: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) The spoiler thread is now open.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Margo Welcome to the group and the dissusion Fiona. What a gorgeous baby - congratilations :-)

Susan | 4707 comments The baby is darling.

Fiona (fiona11) | 6 comments Oh thank you! He is a wee gem! :)

message 38: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments late start on this one, good so far but not blown away

Margo Andy I don't know how far you've got but but when you're ready please join the discussion on the spoiler thread. Glad to hear you like the start :-)

message 40: by Kara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara | 106 comments finally picked this book up at the library! can't wait to read it now hehe

Margo Happy reading Kara - I hope you enjoy it :-)