Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

The Prodigal > The Prodigal- Chapter 10 Discussion Question

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
So we are now half way done with the book. What do you think so far? Do you have any predictions? Any hopes of how things turn out?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

I am really enjoying the book so far! I can't wait to find out what happens with Tracy his wife and Allison his daughter.

I really hope that Tracy and Jack are able to work things out. I hope that when Jack goes to see them that Allison is excited to see her father. I know as I have said in the previous discussion question it won't be candy and unicorns with Tracy. I'm sure she is going to be upset with Jack and she will probably show it.

IF Jack and Tracy don't end up staying together in the end, I hope they can at least be civil for Allisons sake. Nothing harder than a kid stuck in the middle of a nasty divorce.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I also am enjoying the book. I am mostly enjoying it by seeing the change in Jack. In the beginning, Jack had clearly let his ego get the best of him. It was all a show. While I don't doubt that he loved God and was trying to serve Him, he let self in there and enjoyed getting some of the glory for having this megachurch and all the things they had done around the world. I think it is human nature to want to get credit for things when we should be giving God all the glory.

I like that he started to put on Mrs. Calhoun's roof while everyone was at church. He had been asked to speak at church and he could have gone there and announced what he was going to do, but instead he just did it without wanting any special thanks or credit. In fact, he was upset when he found out the reporter had taken pictures. In the end of this chapter, he questions his father, "Have I ever done anything good in my life without wanting people to know about it?" I like that he is reflecting on his life and motives. I think that will lead to real change.

I am not as attached to Tracy and Allison. We haven't had any insight into them as characters so it hasn't been anything I have dwelt on.

message 4: by Britnie (new)

I definitely like and agree with all you have said. I have really enjoyed seeing Jacks character grow and realize the mistakes he's made. Instead of just pushing them off and making excuses, he's taking responsibility now. He's just as you said Aunty Darlene, he's realizing that he probably wasn't the best Pastor and did like being in the spotlight.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments I like that Jack is finding himself again being in Mayfield. He's back at his roots and it seems like he is able to step away from the life he thought he loved and see there's more to enjoy and experience than fame, money, and a title. Not saying that there's anything wrong with having fame, money or a title.....but it seems that it got to a damaging point for Jack. But I am happy to see where he's heading (mentally, emotionally, spiritually....). I think that he is potentially going to be staying an establishing himself in the very town that he tried to run away from.