A Bad Case of Stripes A Bad Case of Stripes discussion

A Bad Case of Stripes

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tina Cerami A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

"Camilla Cream loved lima beans. But she never ate them. All of her friends hated lima bands, and she wanted to fit in. Camilla was always worried about what other people thought of her." With struggling to fit in and prepare for the fist day of school, Camilla Cream catches a bad case of stripes. In this story is the journey of a girl who just wants to fit in, and finally accepts who she is and stops to care what people think of her.

In this book, children can come to terms with being accepted and embracing who they are. Camilla Cream wanted to try lima beans, but because her friends didn't like them she didn't want to try them. Her skin color changes as people are calling her other names like "Camilla Crayon" or "Night of the Living Lollipop", symbolizing that sometimes kids feel the pressure to please others. However, at the end of the story, Camilla gets a visitor from an old woman who gives Camilla lima beans. At last, she is cured.

I was intrigued by the illustration of this book. I loved the colors and the artistry that was actually done by the author David Shannon himself. This book holds a special place in my heart because I feel like this could connect to me on a personal level and it was my childhood favorite. My Mom got the audio version and I memorized the entire book!

I would rate this book 5 stars because while I think it is very entertaining, I think this gives children a lesson at the right age to always be themselves and embrace who they are!

Priscilla McFerren I agree completely. Shannon's illustrations push this book over the top for me. I love the imagination and the background provided for the important message. Thanks for your point of view.