Between Friends Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > The Color Purple Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn (peacelovebooks1) | 34 comments Mod
This is the thread for The Color Purple. Please tag your spoilers. I'd like everyone to tell me 3 things in this discussion, please.
1) What was your favorite part? Why?
2) Who was your favorite character? Why?
3) What is your overall opinion of this book?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma | 15 comments Mod
Oh where to start!? After reading the first page, I wasn't sure if I could emotionally handle this book. That being said, I was quickly swept up in the story and couldn't put it down. My favorite part was the friendship between Shug and Celie, and Celie finding the motivation to take control of her own life. I feel a full on book-hangover coming on and I'm not sure what else to say about this book! It's tragic yet captivating!

message 3: by Katelyn (new)

Emma wrote: "Oh where to start!? After reading the first page, I wasn't sure if I could emotionally handle this book. That being said, I was quickly swept up in the story and couldn't put it down. My favorite p..."

Shug and Celie's friendship is one of my favorite literary friendships ever! I'm so glad you stuck with it and didn't put it down!

message 4: by Anja (new)

Anja | 3 comments I finished the book yesterday and I really liked it, even though it is shocking to read about all the misstreatment that is happening. My favorite part is the ending :-) I also think that Shug and Celie's friendship is very special and I think it's great how Celie developed through the whole book.
Nonetheless I had some troubles with the language tbh as english is not my mother tongue, so it was sometimes hard for me to keep me motivated to read on. However the short letter chapters were helpfull for me.

message 5: by Katelyn (new)

Anja wrote: "I finished the book yesterday and I really liked it, even though it is shocking to read about all the misstreatment that is happening. My favorite part is the ending :-) I also think that Shug and ..."

I'm glad you enjoyed the book! Celie is one of my all time favorite characters because of how she develops through the entire book. Learning to stand up for oneself and taking control of your own life is something I really admire.

message 6: by Calvin (new)

Calvin | 8 comments Mod
My favorite part of this book was the development of Celie's character throughout the book and the development of her relationship with Mr. _____. That being said although it may be an unpopular opinion my favorite character was probably Mr. _____. He had a horrible start in the book but as the book went on he saw the error of his ways and overcame his personal problems to become a better person. I feel the same way as Emma does about this book where it gave me a "book hangover". Every now and then you read a book that is so good you feel a bit emotionally drained by reading it. I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone and everyone!

message 7: by Katelyn (new)

Calvin wrote: "My favorite part of this book was the development of Celie's character throughout the book and the development of her relationship with Mr. _____. That being said although it may be an unpopular op..."

I'm at a loss as to how he becomes a better person. I see him as becoming a slightly better person but I can't get over how he treats Celie and her sister at the beginning of the book.

message 8: by Jessiy (new)

Jessiy wood | 11 comments I loved the color purple. It was a book I didn't think I would like when I started it. But I said I will read a further more before giving up on it. I love SUg and celcies relationship. I feel like when celcie met sug she really began to understand who she was. I loved the development of the characters and I am really glad I kept reading because I found a great book .