To Be Renamed... Book Club discussion

The Sellout
This topic is about The Sellout
Monthly Group Reads > February 2017 - The Sellout

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El, The Reading Ninja (new) - rated it 4 stars

El | 80 comments Mod
We will meet on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at Biddle's Escape (7:00 - 9:00 pm) to discuss Paul Beatty's 2015 novel, The Sellout. This book won the Man Booker Prize in 2016, making Beatty the first US writer to win the award.

From Wikipedia:
The novel takes place in and around Los Angeles, California, and concerns a protagonist who grows artisanal marijuana and watermelons. Beatty has stated his motivation for writing the novel was that "[he] was broke".

While critics have called the novel "satirical", Beatty himself does not consider himself a satirist and was not particularly pleased with the label, concerned that by calling The Sellout humorous would allow readers to ignore the more serious topics in his book.

If you cannot make the meeting on the 22nd, feel free to share your thoughts here so we can include them in our meeting!

message 2: by Dallas (new)

Dallas | 8 comments Hi, All -

I will not be able to make the meeting this month. I am having a bone graft in my jaw to prep for an implant that morning, so I would be in no shape to discuss a book. Have a good meeting!

Dallas

message 3: by El, The Reading Ninja (new) - rated it 4 stars

El | 80 comments Mod
Hi Dallas,

Thanks for letting us know you won't be able to make it, though I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances behind it. Hope you heal quickly and we hope to see you next month if you can make it.

Be sure to have lots of books piled up to read during your convalescence!

message 4: by Dallas (new)

Dallas | 8 comments El wrote: "Hi Dallas,

Thanks for letting us know you won't be able to make it, though I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances behind it. Hope you heal quickly and we hope to see you next month if you can m..."

Thanks...keeping piles of books (currently including the draft of my wife's new book) never seems to be a problem in this house!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sellout (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paul Beatty (other topics)