Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Reading Challenges 2017 > Pinterest Topical Bible Study for February

Comments Showing 1-50 of 175 (175 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (last edited Jan 30, 2017 06:06PM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 2196 comments Mod
Ok my friends, here is the list for February and our theme is (how appropriate) -True Love. Anyone is welcome to join in at any time. You can drop in and out as your schedule allows. Feel free to join in on the conversation with what God is teaching you through these verses. We don't claim to be theologians, just folks trying to get into the word together and encourage one another.

Link to the pretty one- https://www.goodreads.com/photo/group...

TRUE LOVE

1. Mark 12:28-34
2. Romans 5:1-8
3. Romans 8:31-39
4. Matthew 22:34-40
5. Psalm 42:8-11
6. 1 John 4:7-13
7. 1 John 4:14-20
8. Zephaniah 3:17-20
9. John 13:34&35
10. Psalm 136:1-13
11. Psalm 136:14-26
12. Deut. 10:12-15
13. Psalm 5:7-12
14. Psalm 25:1-10
15. 1 Peter 1:3-8
16. Ephesians 3:14-21
17. Galatians 5:1-6
18. Galatians 5:22-26
19. 1 Peter 4:1-8
20. I Peter 3:8-12
21. Ephesians 4:10-16
22. Philippians 2:1-11
23. Colossians 3:8-15
24. John 14:21-27
25. John 15:9-13
26. John 15:14-21
27. 1 John 3:1-5
28. 1 Cor. 13:1-7
29. 1 Cor. 13:8-13

Again, I want to give credit where credit is due- we are using Rachelwojo.com 's free topical Bible Study resources. Can't wait to focus in on some True Love topics. Now that we are feeling nice and confident, how amazing to dig in and feel truly loved. I'm ready! We have one more day on our January Bible Study and this will start up on Wednesday ! Can't wait!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 275 comments I just printed it and put it into my Bible. Although I have not been commenting during January, I have been reading each day's verses along with my regular reading.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 3: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 3909 comments Mod
I love that this one has a reading for February 29. I'll be reading that on February 28, as this is not a leap year, but it's nice to have it in case we want to reuse this topic for a leap year February.

I'm anxious to start this True Love list, because I think it will build nicely upon the Confidence in Christ one we did this month. We have gained confidence in our Creator and His Son; now it's time to see just how much They love us! And, I'm hoping, instructions on how to show true and genuine love ourselves. It's always wonderful to be reminded of that since we live in such a selfish world.

Cheryl, thanks again for setting up this Pinterest topical Bible study. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I first thought I would.

message 4: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Beth - ;) wrote: "I just printed it and put it into my Bible. Although I have not been commenting during January, I have been reading each day's verses along with my regular reading.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary"

It's nice to know that you are there joining in with us Beth :)! So far these verses have blessed me and I think it's so good to have sort of a "concentration " for the month- sort of mediating on the same thing is good meditation I think and there's no better meditation that the word of God. It feeds my soul! Anyway, hope the verses are blessing you Beth!!

message 5: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Andrea wrote: "I love that this one has a reading for February 29. I'll be reading that on February 28, as this is not a leap year, but it's nice to have it in case we want to reuse this topic for a leap year Feb..."

Yeah- I thought I would just leave it as it was :)- I think I"m going to save mine in a binder for future use. ;)

message 6: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

What a wonderful idea!

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 275 comments I am saving mine too.

In my regular reading I am part way through Ezekiel and read Romans chapter 1 yesterday. That one had me really thinking that this is what the world Is like right now, especially from verse 24 on. But the verse that I liked for me was verse 16.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 8: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments I'm looking forward to the new topic. I really found that the focused list of verses helped me meditate on the Word and remembering the monthly topic helped me remember what I learned the previous day.

Thanks for putting this together Cheryl (and rachelwojo.com)!

message 9: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Day one: This is a great way to start our true love study! I absolutely love the simplicity of our Lord's commandment. I look forward to growing in my understanding of what loving God and loving my neighbor looks like.

Regarding the kingdom of God; I just finished the book, "In the Land of Blue Burqas" by Kate McCord. She is a Christian woman who lived and worked in Afghanistan for five years. Living among Muslims caused her to have to understand what she believed and why and be able to articulate it in a way non-Christians could understand.

Here is what she wrote about the kingdom of God:
"I told them, 'The kingdom of God is the will of God. It's the rule of God. When we live in the kingdom of God we live in the will of God, under the direction, teaching, and leadership of God. We submit to God. God created His kingdom for us to live in and created us for His kingdom.'"

And here is something about the will of God:
"It's God's will that we live together with love, respect, joy, and peace. When we fight and argue and try to hurt people, we are not living under the governance of God, the kingdom of God, and we pay the price. We suffer. It's not God's will, and it's not what we are made for. God wants us to live His way and enjoy the benefits of the life He gives us. That's what it means to live submitted to God. That's His will."

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 2274 comments Gretchen, I just heard a sermon about the Kingdom of God yesterday!

message 11: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Hannah wrote: "Gretchen, I just heard a sermon about the Kingdom of God yesterday!"

Hannah, is God speaking to you about His Kingdom? After seeing or hearing things a couple of times, that's when I usually say, "I'm listening, God. What do You want me to learn right now?" It's amazing how He gets our attention by repetition, isn't it?

message 12: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Gretchen, thanks for sharing! What that woman said makes me think about how we may learn from God ways in which to love Him and share His truth in a mixed-up society like the one we live in today. We have to be uber-focused on Him, because we'll drown in the sea of the world if we don't.

message 13: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Day 1: Mark 12:28-34
The first and second commandments are to love (first God, and then people). I like that. It took two commandments to get "love" across. Is that because love is too big to be contained? Or because humans are stubborn? I hope it's the first reason, but I have a feeling it's a little bit (or a lot) of both.

I couldn't help but think that last month was "all about Jesus" and now this one is "all about love." I am reminded of the verse (and I don't recall which book it's from) that says, "God is love." Jesus is love too, I think, so again, it's all about Jesus. May He continue to flood our hearts and souls with Himself, and may we learn to share that love with the world around us in ways that honor our Jesus.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 2274 comments Andrea wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Gretchen, I just heard a sermon about the Kingdom of God yesterday!"

Hannah, is God speaking to you about His Kingdom? After seeing or hearing things a couple of times, that's when ..."

It was one of eight sermons at Evangelism Conference this week...the preacher reminded us we can't afford to be focused too much on one local church when a single church can't possibly evangelize an entire metroplex...it takes partnership. Reaching outside of comfortable church walls.

message 15: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Ministering to the world, just as Jesus did. I like that.

message 16: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (last edited Feb 01, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

Gretchen wrote: "Day one: This is a great way to start our true love study! I absolutely love the simplicity of our Lord's commandment. I look forward to growing in my understanding of what loving God and loving my..."

I love that Gretchen! I think that our society doesn't want to live submitted to anything, just themselves and what they think is right and so we see such upheaval. And yet living submitted to God and His will and just trusting Him is where peace lies.

This very verse is what I aspire to do with my life- Love God and Love people. So simple, and yet with the fallen character of our world, it can be so difficult. I don't believe that Jesus would have told us to do it though, without it being possible and so with every breath that I breathe, I pray that through him I can get better at it every day :)

message 17: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Amen! Very commendable goal, for sure.

message 18: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Cheryl wrote: And yet living submitted to God and His will and just trusting Him is where peace lies. 

So true Cheryl. And yet this is not something that comes easy to us, we have to practice it every day.

message 19: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Absolutely! Not easy, but worth the struggle.

message 20: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Day 2 Romans 5:1-8-

Warning.... long Cheryl ramblings ahead. Boy this scripture is jam-packed full of good stuff. I remember coming to this verse many times in High School for verses 3-5 when I was going through ( what I perceived at the time) suffering. But I have to say that I really keyed into the last part of this passage, mainly because I have really been thinking on and thanking God for my salvation through Christ lately. I have this wonderful little Bible study journal called Quieting Your Heart 6-Month Bible-Study Journal by Darlene Schacht that I use for my quiet times. One of the areas is "3 things I'm thankful for". After the incident this summer with my husband Dave, every day at the top of the list I would write the same thing - 1- Dave's alive or Dave's alive because of God's miracle again and again every day because I was so unbelievably thankful to God that he survived and then I felt God gently prick my spirit with - "your'e heart is so thankful that Dave is alive, but is your heart so thankful for what my son did on the cross for you?" It wasn't an audible voice mind you but a realization . I just can't take the cross lightly or for granted and to bring that same level of gratitude to God for the fact that, like the verse said from today, Christ died for the ungodly and that that is how God demonstrates his love for us- now that is a lot to be thankful for!

message 21: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Amen, sister!

message 22: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Day 2: Romans 5:1-8
Verse 5: "Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
Our hope is not in vain, because God loves us. Isn't that beautiful?

Verse 8: "... while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
When we were at our ugliest, cruelest, worst... that's when Jesus poured out His love for us in a sacrificial death. Even though it must have been beyond agonizing for Him, I wonder... Was He thinking of the eventual reunion between the Father and all of us and how beautiful that day will be? His love for us is so far beyond comprehension, but I pray this month's study helps us grasp it better.

message 23: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

I agree Andrea- it will be so neat to see how the idea of "true love" unfold this month through scripture- vs 8 like you said- wow- that is true love dying for us while we are sinners..... True love right there.

message 24: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Cheryl and Andrea, I had many similar thoughts.

I was struck by once again seeing how important our faith is. We are justified by it - shown to be righteous - and then we have peace with God. That is true peace.

Our faith also gives us access to grace.

We rejoice in hope and also in our sufferings...I'm still working on that.

This is what I am meditating on today, "God's love has been poured into (not trickled!) our hearts through the Holy Spirit". Our hearts are full of God's love, but I don't think I always use that full tank or recognize that I have it.

message 25: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Gretchen wrote: "Our hearts are full of God's love, but I don't think I always use that full tank or recognize that I have it."

Me too! Oh, that we would remember this more than anything else!

Gretchen wrote: "I was struck by once again seeing how important our faith is. We are justified by it - shown to be righteous - and then we have peace with God. That is true peace.

Our faith also gives us access to grace."

So, so true. I wish it came easier to me to really bask in God's love and the faith He gives me. I am trying to be more purposeful in applying my faith in God to my daily life. It's a learned thing, I think, and I am trying to be more attentive and sponge-like to God's lessons.

message 26: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Andrea wrote:  I am trying to be more purposeful in applying my faith in God to my daily life. It's a learned thing, I think, and I am trying to be more attentive and sponge-like to God's lessons. 

Andrea, I think this what we must do. We have to practice it every day.

message 27: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Day 3: Romans 8:31-39
Powerful.
I especially like that "we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." That gives me such confidence and hope.

True love is sacrifice.
How do we sacrifice for the ones we love?
How does this apply to showing the world our faith and love for God?
So many questions, and I hope we gain at least a little knowledge through this month's study.

message 28: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (last edited Feb 03, 2017 08:33AM) (new)

The words " I can't even" kept popping up in my mind, haha. Romans 8 has always been that mind blowing chapter for me- just chock full of so much meaty stuff!! In fact last month had 2 different readings from Romans 8 so Rachel Wojo must think so too! haha.

I just sent me daughter Rpmans 8:37- the one you quoted above Andrea- she is facing 2 college exams today without hardly any sleep because she si sick- a great verse for her to take into today and ironically enough, it's her life verse!

I agree completely Andrea- true love is sacrifice and it looks so differently for us with those in our lives depending on the circumstance- sacrifice of time, love, money, help, prayer etc, etc. And I love that this passage ends with the assurance that nothing is getting in the way of God's love for us in Christ Jesus- wow- good stuff!

message 29: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Cheryl, first of all, I hope your daughter does well on her exams! And that she feels better really soon.

Secondly...

Cheryl wrote: "And I love that this passage ends with the assurance that nothing is getting in the way of God's love for us in Christ Jesus- wow- good stuff!"

... I love the way you worded that. "Nothing is getting in the way of God's love for us." So true. So great to remember. So powerful.

And you're right. Sacrifice takes on different expressions depending on people and circumstances. The common denominator (sorry; math tutor, here) is God's love. He is what should be driving us through each moment, especially through times of sacrifice. If we don't do it for love of God, we do it in vain.

message 30: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Day 3: Wow, I wonder if we can ever fully grasp the enormity of God's love for us.

Andrea wrote: "True love is sacrifice.
How do we sacrifice for the ones we love?"

This is such a good question and one that I have been praying about today.

message 31: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Aw, Gretchen, that's awesome!

God has been working on my heart lately (my whole life, really, but I have noticed strong movement recently). Today, I realized that I am putting a lot more focus into my spiritual life this year. I have made a point to have the same quiet-time routine each day, jumped into this Pinterest Bible study in addition to my regular readings, and have been steadily reading faith-building Christian living books. And I have been quieting my soul while praying more purposefully with thanksgiving and a genuine heart than I have in a while (been in a little rut prior to that). Living my faith, intentionally choosing faith over doubt. Asking God to teach me to be submissive to Him in every way. I can practically feel my faith growing several inches each day, so to speak, and I pray I nestle closer to God so that may continue. It has been and continues to be a humbling and precious experience, with hope for the future and joy for the present.

Thanks for sharing this journey with me, ladies. God has certainly used you and your perspectives to strengthen my faith. Praise His name for bringing us together for this faith-building journey. May He continue to fuel and grow us to serve Him in His will, for His glory and never our own. I am honored to share this road with you all. We are in great Company, with our Savior leading the way and fellowshipping with us as we walk.

message 32: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Amen Andrea- you and Gretchen truly bless and encourage me with your words of faith!

message 33: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

As you do me too. I think it's a circle of faith and encouragement we've got going, by God's grace and direction, with Jesus Christ as our center point.

message 34: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Andrea, thanks for sharing your journey. It is always helpful and encouraging to me to hear the practical ways others use to grow in their faith.

I really appreciate both yours and Cheryl's perspective and I love how God gives us each a unique perspective. We can learn so much from one another.

A couple of years ago I joined a small Bible study group. Over the years we have done a couple of Beth Moore studies, but we found that we prefer Precept studies. This is Kay Arthur's ministry and they are so good. They teach you how to really dig into the Word. In addition to this I read through the Bible, generally two to three chapters per day and usually some from the Old and New Testament each day. I have found also that my soul is fed so much by reading Christian fiction and biography. Being more deliberate in my prayer life is something I have been working on as well.

Thanks for your input every day ladies, you truly bless me.

message 35: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Day 4: It occurred to me, that if we are believers, God has eqipped us to obey these commandments.

As we read in Romans 5: 1-8, God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. That is the power we need to love the Lord our God with all our heart.

I Corinthians 2:16 says, "' For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?' But we have the mind of Christ."

That is the power we need to love the Lord our God with all our mind.

Also, I just love the simplicity and truth in, "On these two commandments depend all the Law and Prophets."

message 36: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Gretchen wrote: "Andrea, thanks for sharing your journey. It is always helpful and encouraging to me to hear the practical ways others use to grow in their faith.

I really appreciate both yours and Cheryl's perspe..."

Gretchen, thanks for also sharing your experience and faith journey. Sounds like you have a great Bible study group going. I love how you said your soul is fed so much from Christian fiction and biographies. I was just thinking a xcouple of days ago that I want to read more bios about missionaries and evangelists. Who have been some of your favorites? In the past, I have enjoyed learning about Billy Sunday, Amy Carmichael, John Newton, and DL Moody.

Will read your other comment after I read today's verses.

message 37: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Hi all- checking in with you on day 4- I found it so interesting that both my personal reading ( reading through the new testament) and this reading challenge contained the same scripture- I always feel as though when God really wants you to "get something" from Him that he brings the same message repeatedly, so there ya go, I'm paying close attention!

I'm just going to share from the commentary that I'm using as I read through Matthew from Warren Weirsbe-

*"If we have a right relationship with God, we will have no problems with His commandments. Love is the basis for obedience. In fact, all of the law is summed up in love (Rom. 13: 8– 10). If we love God, we will love our neighbor, and if we love our neighbor, we will not want to do anything to harm him."

I really loved "love is the basis for obedience"- that pursuing that right relationship with God is the key to being able to love others as God would want us to. It starts with us on our knees before our Lord cultivating that relationship. It's not just a "check off the box" kind of thing that we do every day as Christians, but truly seeking to grow our relationship with our LORD and from that love comes the obedience to go out there into the world and love others. Good stuff!

Also as a side note Andrea, if you haven't already I would say put The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom The Hiding Place The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom by Corrie ten Boom on your list to read. This is Corrie Ten Booms story - this book is truly amazing and blessed my socks off. - Faith, Love and forgiveness in an impossible situation- it truly grew my faith reading that book!

*Wiersbe, Warren W. (2010-01-01). Be Loyal (Matthew): Following the King of Kings (The BE Series Commentary) (p. 203). David C Cook. Kindle Edition.

message 38: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Wonderful, deep, and impactful thoughts today, ladies! (Cheryl, I love it when I get the same message more than once. Like you, that's when I know to pay extra-close attention.)

Day 4: Matthew 22:34-40
Love God and love people. Sounds simple. So why isn't it? It's the human factor. We are selfish and flawed by nature, so we have to work hard in order to shed that old skin and put on the coat of love. And all that work accomplishes a lot within us. We will become patient, kind, compassionate, etc. (all those 1 Corinthians 13 qualities!) as we work hard to gain true love for God and people.

Cheryl, how could I forget about The Hiding Place?! I read that years ago. I'm not sure where my copy is, but yes, that's one I need to reread sometime. Thanks for reminding me about it. I wept my way through it once; I'm sure I can do it again. :)

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 275 comments I also read The Hiding Place many years ago, and have the DVD of the movie as well. I no longer have the book, but I dimly remember the scene at the train station - ? - where the father says that God will give us what we need when we need it, referring, if I remember correctly, the train fare. The exact details escape me now, after so many years, but the lesson remained, that God will give us what we need when we need it.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 40: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Amen, sister!

message 41: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Regarding biographies: I also read and got a lot from The Hiding Place and also Tramp for the Lord, which I think continues the story of the Hiding Place.

I've also read biographies of George Mueller, Billy Sunday, Eric Liddel, Gifted Hands about Dr. Ben Carson, L'Abri and others by Edith Schaeffer, Hudson Taylor, David Livingstone, George Washington Carver, Gladys Aylward.

I homeschooled my kids, so many of these I read aloud to them :) Janet and Geoff Benge write a series of Christian biographies that we enjoyed. They are aimed at middle grade readers, but I got a lot out of them. They tell enough of the story and are not overwhelming.

message 42: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Day 5: My Bible version describes God's love as steadfast - it won't move. There is nothing anyone can do to move it.

My version says for Psalm 42:8, "By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,..."

I am pondering what is meant by "the Lord commands".

message 43: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Gretchen wrote: "Regarding biographies: I also read and got a lot from The Hiding Place and also Tramp for the Lord, which I think continues the story of the Hiding Place.

I've also read biographies of George Muel..."

Thank you!

message 44: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Gretchen wrote: "Day 5: My Bible version describes God's love as steadfast - it won't move. There is nothing anyone can do to move it.

My version says for Psalm 42:8, "By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,...."

Don't you love it when the Bible puzzles you, causing you to ponder further? If it's making me meditate on a concept, it's keeping my mind occupied with God. Love that!

message 45: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Day 5: Psalm 42:8-11
Our God loves us even when our enemies scoff at us for hoping in Him (vs. 10). Our God loves us even when we doubt He sees our affliction (vs. 9). Let us remember He is our Hope and He loves us dearly (vs. 11).

I like how the sons of Korah are giving themselves a pep talk in verse 11: "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God." Sometimes, when everything seems too hard to handle and God is silent, all we need to do is give ourselves a pep talk, remind ourselves Who is in control, and then start praising God. What a way to turn a gloomy disposition to a joy-filled one!

message 46: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Amen Andrea!

message 47: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Day 5-

This is a good one for those days when you feel like - ok my life is far from perfect, but I'm gonna praise God anyway!

In my Jesus Always devotion yesterday I was reading about the concept of -"It is good to proclaim my love (God's) in the morning and my (God's)faithfulness at night" This concept has sort of been rattling around in my brain- so simple and yet so profound. I feel like the verses we read today help to illustrate this concept. If we start in the morning reflecting on God's love for us which is like Gretchen mentioned, steadfast, I believe that helps us get through those "enemies" and other challenge that we face throughout our day, sort of the pep talk that Andrea mentions. Then at night, we look back on our day and reflect on and thank God for his faithfulness. It's also suppose to help you sleep well at night. It's a simple concept, but one I'm looking to be intentional about :)

message 48: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Cheryl, I love that. Very intentional perspective on keeping praise for God on our lips and love for Him in our hearts. Beautiful!

message 49: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Day 6: 1 John 4:7-13
There is so much to chew on in this group of verses. It's hard to know where to begin. Verse 12 stood out to me when I read through today's selection the second time. If I want God's love to be perfected in me, I must love the people He places in my life.

message 50: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 200 comments Day 6: I agree with Andrea, there is a lot to think about in this passage. I like how you worded this "If I want God's love to be perfected in me, I must love the people He places in my life."

Here's what struck me:
God sent His only Son so that His love would be apparent. We have no excuse to not love one another, God showed us what love looks like - laying down our lives for others, denying ourselves, sacrificing - and He gave us the power to love one another through His Holy Spirit.

« previous 1 3 4