Proud Readers of Great Stories discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
February Whole Month Read > The Count of Monte Cristo: Chapters 1 - 15

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Letitgo (new)

Letitgo | 62 comments Mod
Ok Proud Readers, this looks like a doosey, but I think we can get through it together. Who has my back? :)

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jbourguignon1) | 27 comments I've already started. I can't believe I never read this before or seen a movie. The story is all new to me - I'm excited about it.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff notes? :)

message 4: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader I read this years ago, saw multiple film versions, and taught this book to low readers in abridged form. So I will pop into the discussion here and there.

Don't let the length intimidate you. It's a wonderful story.

Fun fact about Dumas. He was Afro-French.

message 5: by John (new)

John Winston (johndarrylwinston) | 100 comments Mod
Quirkyreader wrote: "I read this years ago, saw multiple film versions, and taught this book to low readers in abridged form. So I will pop into the discussion here and there.

Don't let the length intimidate you. It's..."

Thanks for the encouragement, Quirkyreader and I look forward to your input and insight.

message 6: by John (new)

I'm starting this one today. It will officially be the longest book I've ever read, save the Bible, and I'm not intimidated, not one bit, not even the slightest.

message 7: by Marcell (new)

Marcell Johnson | 5 comments I will make the attempt because I've heard so much about Dumas and haven't read anything by him.

message 8: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) I'm gonna try to read along. I tend to lose interest w/ big books. lol

message 9: by Letitgo (new)

Anna wrote: "I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff notes? :)"

LOL!! Makes you wonder doesn't it? :)

message 10: by Soycd (new)

Soycd | 11 comments I've just started. It's really long and intimidating but after reading War and Peace I feel like I could take on anything.

message 11: by Letitgo (new)

Soycd wrote: "I've just started. It's really long and intimidating but after reading War and Peace I feel like I could take on anything."

Wow! Ok, right now you are my idol! :)

message 12: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Story | 7 comments I decided to go the audiobook route on this one. I'm liking it so far, but the reader's a little hard to understand.

message 13: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader Juanita,

Does he have an accent or is he a fast speaker?

message 14: by John (new)

Love the story.

message 15: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Story | 7 comments Quirkyreader wrote: "Juanita,

Does he have an accent or is he a fast speaker?"

Yes Quirkyreader, European and that coupled with his speak and French in the text make it jarring at times.

message 16: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader Juanita,

I hope you can find an audio book with an easier to understand narrator. For CM is a great adventure story and is wonderful read a loud.

message 17: by Letitgo (new)

Even though the read is a bit challenging, I find myself already very engaged in the story. It may however, take me longer than 4 weeks to finish! :0O

message 18: by Soycd (new)

Soycd | 11 comments Yes this is gonna take me more than a month too!

message 19: by Armani (new)

Armani Porterfield | 9 comments Haha! definitely more than a month but that's cool. I'm enjoying it. This is my slow marathon read and I'm getting a supreme classic under my belt.

message 20: by Taryn (new)

Taryn Rydell | 94 comments Mod
Yeah, it's lonnnng, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's classic in most senses, but there's something contemporary about it that keeps me turning pages.

message 21: by Taryn (new)

Lulu wrote: "I'm gonna try to read along. I tend to lose interest w/ big books. lol"

How's it coming, Lulu? Are you checking out The Maze runner too?

message 22: by Taryn (new)

Soycd wrote: "Yes this is gonna take me more than a month too!"

Like a fine wine, Soycd. Let it soothe your literary palette.

message 23: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader Taryn,

Can you extend the reading time of this book through March? February is a short month. It is a good story and shouldn't be rushed.

message 24: by Emma (M) (new)

Emma (M) Yeah, definitely not finishing this one anytime soon, it will be a slow burn I think.

message 25: by John (new)

Quirkyreader wrote: "Taryn,

Can you extend the reading time of this book through March? February is a short month. It is a good story and shouldn't be rushed."

Great idea, Quirky reader because I really want to get this one in. I like Dumas' style. The dialogue pulls me in.

message 26: by John (new)

I'm liking this story a lot, but I agree with Quirkyreader that we should extend this one through March. Anybody else?

message 27: by Emma (M) (new)

Emma (M) I agree

message 28: by Eivette (new)

Eivette Martinez | 11 comments I didn't think I would, but I like this better than the Maze Runner. And I'm all for reading this one through March.

message 29: by Marcell (new)

Marcell Johnson | 5 comments Through March gets my vote!

message 30: by Letitgo (new)

Yes, let's take this one through March I should be able to finish by then!

message 31: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Story | 7 comments Juanita wrote: "Quirkyreader wrote: "Juanita,

Does he have an accent or is he a fast speaker?"

Yes Quirkyreader, European and that coupled with his speak and French in the text make it jarring at times."

It just took me a while to get up to speed, Quirkyreader, and I'm also reading the text at the same time. I like it so far. Thanks.

message 32: by Taryn (last edited Feb 06, 2017 07:53AM) (new)

Through March? I will put it to vote and make it official. Look out for the poll today, Proud Readers. I'm for it, too by the way.

message 33: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) I'm doing both the ebook and audio.

message 34: by Taryn (new)

Lulu wrote: "I'm doing both the ebook and audio."

Good idea, Lulu. I may have to try that one day.

message 35: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Burton | 10 comments If the group extends this I'll read it. A thousand pages is too much for me.

message 36: by Christian (new)

Christian Turner | 4 comments Just started this morning. I'm not into classics or books that have more than a thousand pages but I like this one. I've always wanted to read something by Alexander Dumas.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jbourguignon1) | 27 comments It's a pretty fast read. I'm up to 400 already. The story is fast-paced, except where he gets overly descriptive and then you can skim a bit without losing the context of the times or thread of the story.

message 38: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) I listened to The Three Musketeers and it was awesome!!!

message 39: by Emma (M) (new)

Emma (M) Jennifer wrote: "It's a pretty fast read. I'm up to 400 already. The story is fast-paced, except where he gets overly descriptive and then you can skim a bit without losing the context of the times or thread of the..."

I agree about being overly descriptive. I think this book could have been cut down by a couple hundred pages, just be losing a lot of the unnecessary detail.

message 40: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader I'm glad that this story is being greatly enjoyed. There are abridged versions of this story if you don't want to go full tilt. That way you still get to enjoy the meat of the story.

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments Anna wrote: "I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff notes? :)"

so far, who do you think is the greatest villain -- Caderousse, Danglars, Fernand, or Villefort?

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments Anna wrote: "Anna wrote: "I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff notes? :)"

..."

poor Edmond ... almost 5 years with his uncommunicative jailer as his only human contact!

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jbourguignon1) | 27 comments i somehow managed to live this long (70) without having read or seen a movie about TC of MC. I'm half way through and though i suspect revenge, I still have no idea where he (Dumas) is taking me.

message 44: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader Jennifer get ready for something good.

message 45: by Taryn (new)

Anna wrote: "Anna wrote: "I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff notes? :)"

..."

Danglars, no doubt, Anna. He has that conniving, smart villainy. Caderousse is led by winds and Fernand his negative emotions.

message 46: by Taryn (new)

I'm really digging this. So glad we're taking our time with this. Whoever came up with the idea to extend this through march: Kudos to you.

message 47: by John (new)

Anna wrote: "Anna wrote: "I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff notes? :)"

..."

Danglars it is, Anna!

message 48: by John (new)

An editor definitely could've trimmed the fat on this one. But when it's good, it's very good. I like how naive Edmond and Mercedes are. At 19 and 17 years old, respectively, their attitudes toward Fernand seem accurate. He is clearly going to be a problem straightway and they don't see it.

message 49: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments John wrote: "An editor definitely could've trimmed the fat on this one. But when it's good, it's very good. I like how naive Edmond and Mercedes are. At 19 and 17 years old, respectively, their attitudes toward..."

John, don't forget that before this became a 1200-1300 page book, this was serialized in newspapers! I'm sure he was paid by the chapter!

message 50: by Anna (new)

Anna | 20 comments John wrote: "Anna wrote: "Anna wrote: "I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff..."

John wrote: "Anna wrote: "Anna wrote: "I was checking out my library's online catalogue -- just in case I needed a backup copy for my ebook. Is it bad that the first 5 books listed were all Sparknotes and Cliff..."

john, I keep going back and forth between Danglars and Villefort

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.