What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > mass market paperback from 1990s fantasy military female heroine mercenary, a major, had a soldier named Harry as her second. She had sword. Crew woke her by touching one side for danger.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (new)

Nell Kennedy | 5 comments Looking for a book I borrowed from the mass market paperback area of our library I think in the mid 1990s? Was about a female mercenary, remember she was a major, can't remember the name, had a soldier with her named Harry as her second... was fantasy/military novel

Spoiler-I remember that her crew woke her by touching one side for danger one for not...
I also remember she had a sword.

I have searched every catalog but without the title I am not making much headway.

Any help/leads appreciated!

message 2: by Aerulan (last edited Jan 30, 2017 05:12PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments So nothing specific jumps out at me as matching the details you gave, but here's a couple 'female mercenary' books that might be worth a look.
The Deed of Paksenarrion -this is a series
A Secret History -think this one is more historical-based than outright fantasy but it was marketed as a fantasy novel
By the Sword

You might also check the listopia lists they are on for lists that might fit your book, that's assuming you haven't already looked through listopia, of course.
Here's a couple from one of them that seem likely
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 3: by Nell (new)

Nell Kennedy | 5 comments Yeah, I will check the lists again, but nothing jumps out at a glance, and the other books were good reads! Aerulan wrote: "So nothing specific jumps out at me as matching the details you gave, but here's a couple 'female mercenary' books that might be worth a look.
The Deed of Paksenarrion -this is a serie..."

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Nell, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Nell (last edited Feb 24, 2020 06:45PM) (new)

Nell Kennedy | 5 comments still looking. I confess it drives me insane to not be able to remember it! I can usually remember page numbers of scenes, but this book was well written, good characters, and I can see myself holding the book in my hand. I remember that it was taken military fantasy. I don’t think it was an author I recognized.... any tips appreciated.

message 6: by Kris (last edited Feb 25, 2020 08:16AM) (new)

Kris | 33278 comments Mod
Nell, can you tell us more about the female mercenary (e.g., her age, personality, clients, types of jobs, fighting/spy skills, her family, any romance)?

Location - realistic Earth or fantasy world (how is it different from Earth)?

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Holland | 124 comments There's By the Sword, by Mercedes Lackey - there's this part in it:
"It seemed as if she'd just closed her eyes, but when she woke to a hand shaking her right shoulder-right was for "safe" waking, left for when you wanted someone to wake up quickly and quietly because of a bad situation-she sat up and rubbed her eyes without a grumble"

There's a sword very definitely, but don't recall anyone named Harry. The mercenary is named Kero, and she eventually took over her military company.

message 8: by Nell (new)

Nell Kennedy | 5 comments she was pretty by the book - much like kero in by the sword, but before that book was out... a definite code of ethics, remember her as the major.

one scene that is etched is her remembering a time when Harry her second seemed down to be down and so she sat with him the whole night.... later he confessed that he was going to kill himself that night.

I remember them having a hard march, and her calculating the odds of her company surviving / it was a pretty tactical assessment, with realistic loss options.... really spoke to the military aspect.

message 9: by Neisha (new)

Neisha | 4 comments Are you sure that isn’t the Deed of Paksenarrion? That’s so familiar. It’s a trilogy in one book but was published at 3 originally.

message 10: by Dagbjört (new)

Dagbjört Kjartansdóttir | 4 comments It's been some years sine I read Paksenarrion but I don't think she was a mercenary.

message 11: by Dagbjört (new)

Dagbjört Kjartansdóttir | 4 comments My bad she was a mercenary she was also a Paladin that is a big plot point

message 12: by Nell (new)

Nell Kennedy | 5 comments So I am almost finished re-reading Deed of Paksenarrion... And it isn't it. No second named Harry. It was similar feel, probably indicating the book I am looking for came out some time after Deed.

Any other suggestions?