On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Group Reads: Post-1980 > The News of the World - Initial Impressions - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3785 comments Mod
This is the place to begin our discussion. No spoilers please, just questions and general discussion.

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina Loved this book. It was short listed for the National Book Award. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 3: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I loved this one too, hard to imagine how anyone could not. Even though a lot of us may already have read it, we can still join the discussion.

message 4: by Brina (new)

Brina I can't imagine anyone not loving this either. Easily on my top 5 from last year.

message 5: by Dustincecil (new)

Dustincecil | 175 comments i'm so excited to get my copy from the library (hopefully this week). Been SO careful reading any reviews because I don't want something that sounds so good get spoiled!

message 6: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Guerette | 27 comments I got this for Christmas and have been anxiously waiting for the group read. I start it tonight. I saw it for 50% off at B&N yesterday too.

message 7: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Yippee!!

message 8: by Camie (new)

Camie | 99 comments I'm going to read this is March with another group so I'm anxious to see what everyone thinks of it here !

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 393 comments This was a wonderful book. Highly recommended!

message 10: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 134 comments I have read half the book thus far and I'm enjoying it. I love the bonding between Capt. Kidd and Johanna. I believe that this book will be translated into film. I image Kevin Costner for the role of the Capt.

message 11: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

My book club read this in January, and when the subject of a film came up, Kevin Costner was the actor named for the Captain. I myself think that Tommy Lee Jones would be a better choice.

message 12: by John (last edited Feb 01, 2017 02:55PM) (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 134 comments Diane wrote: "My book club read this in January, and when the subject of a film came up, Kevin Costner was the actor named for the Captain. I myself think that Tommy Lee Jones would be a better choice."

I could live with Tommy Lee Jones. Since he is 70 years old, it would be much of a stretch.

message 13: by Brina (new)

Brina I think Tommy Lee Jones would be better as Captain Kidd. But I don't like it that every book ends up becoming a film. Let's enjoy the book as is.

message 14: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

No way the film could be superior to the book anyway!

message 15: by Brina (new)

Brina This book was a joy to read. I am waiting for a discussion.

message 16: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 134 comments Diane wrote: "No way the film could be superior to the book anyway!"

Of course!

message 17: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2427 comments Mod
Paulette Jiles was here last weekend so I picked up a copy for me and one for my sister. I haven't had too much time for reading lately but I'm really enjoying what I've read so far.

message 18: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie (rebbie33) | 12 comments I can't wait to dig into this book. Everyone I know seems to love it, so hopefully I will feel the same.

message 19: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I read this book early on because I listened to an interview with Paulette Jiles on NPR. I was most impressed. She said that she had not intended to write this book, but Captain Kidd had a minor role in her previous book, "The Color of Lightning", and he was such a great character that he demanded his own book. Also, she got really interested in the way white captives that were taken as children had so much trouble assimilating when they were returned to white society.

message 20: by Brina (new)

Brina I think it's interesting that even though Texas was a state, in reconstruction years it was still governed like the Wild West.

message 21: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I think Texas is still considered The Wild West.

message 22: by Howard (new)

Howard | 375 comments Brina wrote: "I think it's interesting that even though Texas was a state, in reconstruction years it was still governed like the Wild West."

Brina, Texans and Comanches were still at war until Chief Quanah Parker finally surrendered in 1874, nine years after the Civil War ended and just two years before Reconstruction ended.

And even after Reconstruction there were clashes between Texans and federal forces as well as range feuds and wars fought among Texans.

And Diane is onto something. In some ways it is still the Wild West.

message 23: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Diane wrote: "I think Texas is still considered The Wild West."

I chose not to say anything considering the trouble I got into over my comments about Florida. ;)

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments Did this novel at the beginning at least remind anybody else of a film I was saw or am I imagining things ?

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments I saw I mean cannot remember the title ;)

message 26: by Howard (new)

Howard | 375 comments Tom wrote: "Diane wrote: "I think Texas is still considered The Wild West."

I chose not to say anything considering the trouble I got into over my comments about Florida. ;)"

No pain; no gain.

message 27: by Brina (new)

Brina There's a reason they say don't mess with Texas. Maybe it's that cowboy mentality that still exists. It would interesting to drive along Captain Kidd's route.

message 28: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Jane, you may be thinking of an old John Wayne movie, "The Searchers". It's considered a classic and it's about a young girl kidnapped by Commanches, and his search for her. The rest of the family was killed.

message 29: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie (rebbie33) | 12 comments Tom wrote: "Diane wrote: "I think Texas is still considered The Wild West."

I chose not to say anything considering the trouble I got into over my comments about Florida. ;)"

I live in Florida, and I can safely state that whatever comment you made is probably embarrassingly accurate. So don't feel bad!

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Initial thoughts, so far the book is good and it's an easy story to follow. But is anyone else bothered by the punctuation around dialogue, or lack thereof? The lack of quotation marks is distracting from the text when reading and makes it a less enjoyable experience. I've read a couple of books like this lately, maybe it's some kind of editing "fad," but I really don't care for it. We have punctuation for a reason, I wish writers would just use it already. :-) But maybe that's just me?

message 31: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Emily wrote: "Initial thoughts, so far the book is good and it's an easy story to follow. But is anyone else bothered by the punctuation around dialogue, or lack thereof? The lack of quotation marks is distracti..."

I noticed it but wasn't overly bothered by it. Cormac McCarthy does the same.

message 32: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 134 comments Emily wrote: "Initial thoughts, so far the book is good and it's an easy story to follow. But is anyone else bothered by the punctuation around dialogue, or lack thereof? The lack of quotation marks is distracti..."

Occasionally, it has caused me re-read passages but generally has not been a problem.

message 33: by Jane (new)

Jane | 738 comments Diane , yes that s the one "The Searchers "

message 34: by LeAnne: (new)

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Tom wrote: "Diane wrote: "I think Texas is still considered The Wild West."

Lol!! That's right, Tom - we native Floridians have our eyes on ya still! ;)

message 35: by John (new)

John | 533 comments Jane wrote:"The Searchers ""
Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
Empire of the Summer Moon Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S.C. Gwynne

Her story is contained within. If my memory serves, she was the mother to Quanah. The white eye recaptured ,ie kidnapped, her. She refused to return to American habitation. A fascinating book

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments About halfway through and the relationship between Captain Kidd and Johanna is heartwarming and comical. But my heart also breaks for this terrified little girl, the trauma she's been through in the span of four years, all by the age of ten!

message 37: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 211 comments I loved this book also. The Captain was one of my two literary crushes last year along with The Count from A Gentleman in Moscow. My sweetheart grew up in Weatherford which is mentioned in the book. When I told him about this book, he told me about Cynthia Ann Parker, mother of Quanah, the stuff of legend in Texas and around where he grew up. Captain and Johanna don't go to Weatherford because of the flooding (I think) but instead go to the "small town" of Dallas. :) I'll port over to the other thread for the discussion.

message 38: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

This book has some of the greatest lines in it:

No scalping. He said, It is considered very impolite.

message 39: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

The Captain was a true gentleman, in every sense of the word.

message 40: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Diane wrote: "The Captain was a true gentleman, in every sense of the word."

Clearly.

message 41: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 211 comments Tom wrote: "This book has some of the greatest lines in it:

No scalping. He said, It is considered very impolite."

Ha! I loved that too. I read a library book and wish I had written some of the great lines/passages down.

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue | 650 comments Suzy wrote: "Tom wrote: "This book has some of the greatest lines in it:

Ha! I loved that too. I read a library book and wish I had written some of the g..."

I loved tat one too. I read this last week as I "recovered" from moving. What a joy. Guess I'd better mosey on to the other thread and write my review too. Wonderful book that lived up to all the press for me.

message 43: by Dustincecil (new)

Dustincecil | 175 comments "Long bright crawls of water slid across the livery stable floor and took up the light of the lantern like a luminous stain and the roof shook with the percussion of drops as big as nickels."

I love it when sentences like this are scattered to and fro, all throughout a story.

message 44: by Sue (new)

Sue | 650 comments I agree Dustin. The quality of the writing equals the quality of the story telling.

message 45: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 1862 comments Mod
I should of known those dimes were important....she gave me all the clues. Loving this book!

message 46: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Tom wrote: "Emily wrote: "Initial thoughts, so far the book is good and it's an easy story to follow. But is anyone else bothered by the punctuation around dialogue, or lack thereof? The lack of quotation mark..."

It doesnt bother me either. One typo I found is the Captain is called Caption in an opening paragraph of a new chapter.

message 47: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Tom wrote: "This book has some of the greatest lines in it:

Loved that Tom.

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue | 650 comments Laura wrote: "I should of known those dimes were important....she gave me all the clues. Loving this book!"

And dimes were so much more valuable then so they were valuable in many ways

message 49: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I am going to the Savannah Book Festival tomorrow, and Paulette Jiles is on at 12:30. Can't wait to see her. Also Kathleen Grissom (The Kitchen House). Lots of authors and events, so I'm looking forward to it.

message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Watkins | 13 comments Diane, I hope you will share your experience with these authors. Am excited for you!

« previous 1