Readers Against Fascism discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (00nicolette) | 6 comments Mod
Thanks for joining! I added a few books to the bookshelf, and suggest we start out with Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States." I encourage everyone to discuss as they read, ask questions, and even meet up in person or on Google Hangouts.

If you're feeling isolated and like you don't have a community to share your thoughts with, please reach out here! Members of this group have a shared desire for knowledge and growth, and intend to create a safe, open space to seek it.

message 2: by Leila (new)

Leila Miller | 1 comments This is amazing! Thank you!

message 3: by Jonkavar (new)

Jonkavar Grant | 1 comments I don't know how to add books to our shelf. But I think we should read Look whose back by timur vermes and It can't happen here by Sinclair Lewis.

The first one is about Hitler somehow teleporting to 2011 and goes on tv to get a following. It's written from his perspective, and is so far really interesting.

The second was written in 1935 about a man running for President who is insane in the same way as Trump and has similar followers.

message 4: by Nicolette (new)

Jonkavar wrote: "I don't know how to add books to our shelf. But I think we should read Look whose back by timur vermes and It can't happen here by Sinclair Lewis.

The first one is about Hitler somehow teleportin..."

Thanks, no worries I will add them to the shelf!

message 5: by Sheba (new)

Sheba Family (shebafamily) | 7 comments Woohoo!

message 6: by Sheba (new)

Sheba Family (shebafamily) | 7 comments I go to check out the book and the 2nd review is from someone named Billy who says we should burn the book...that it is propaganda and the author is just negative etc etc. Obviously deluded. Then I read one of the comments from Joey "we get it, you're white" hahahaha

message 7: by Freshta (new)

Freshta | 2 comments Thank You all. I will find the Howard Zin's book and once I make some progress will participate.

message 8: by Nicolette (new)

Thanks for joining everyone! The abridged version of Zinn's book works as well; we don't want to get burned out on our first book! I've also edited the settings so members can add suggestions to the group bookshelf :)

message 9: by Sheba (new)

Sheba Family (shebafamily) | 7 comments I just bought the Abridged version!

message 10: by Sheba (new)

Sheba Family (shebafamily) | 7 comments I added Sapiens to the list because I think it may provide such an interesting perspective on our world today. Has anyone read it? Seems to have very good reviews.