Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Color Purple
This topic is about The Color Purple
Archived > The Color Purple, Week 4 (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments Please discuss your thoughts about the fourth quarter of The Color Purple here.

What was your overall opinion of the book?

Teresa Ramseur | 8 comments I finished this a few days ago. I loved it! It was a beautiful, powerful read. I've had a friend telling me I need to read this for years, and I am so glad I had the chance to read it. I really enjoyed Celie's story, particularly once she began her letters to Nettie.

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments Just finished the book and I'm so glad I read it. The ending was moving and I loved how at the end, Celie and Mr____ were able to have conversations with each other as equals. In fact, Celie was able to start referring to him as Albert. The Celie at the end of the book, and even Albert at the end of the book, are very different from who they were in the beginning.

One of the things I enjoyed most about this book was how strong the women were. Even Celie eventually became a strong women. I loved that when Mr_____ was telling Celie that Shug is "more manly than most men", Celie corrects him by saying that the strength that Shug has is "womanly".

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I have to say that this finished on a much more upbeat note than I'd ever expected when I started the novel. Celie finally comes to appreciate herself for herself, in relation to others but not because of them. And finally a classic with a happy ending. Yay literature!

Kimberly | 145 comments All finished and I thought it was good. There were many parts I didn't like, but no one wants to read about rape and abuse. But, unfortunately, it's a part of this world. :( But, I liked that Celie was able to rise above it and became her own person. :) And, I was so happy with the ending, too. Most of the characters changed over the course of the book and for the better. Albert and Harpo became better men. Celie learned to stand up for herself. Sofia didn't seem to lose her temper as bad. Overall an excellent choice to read for this month, even if I wouldn't consider this a "classic." ;) :)

Glennis The picture of Celie and Albert sewing together is one I can't quite wrap my mind around, but that's ok. It was an enjoyable read, even as a re-read.

Lots of growing and changing in all the main characters... Wonder who Miss Celie grows old with in the end....

message 7: by Marta (last edited Feb 23, 2017 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments I have read this book a couple years ago so I was staying off the threads as not to influence or give away anything. It starts so bleak yet it ends on such an uplifting note - if I were to say that before everyone has read it, it would have been a spoiler!

I feel this is such a Buddhist, Zen book - essentially showing the power of self-love, compassion and forgiveness. It is one of the best books, and most uplifting books I have ever read. We need more books about how much power we have within ourselves to stamp out anger and self-hate, even in the face of abuse and suffering.

I planned to re-read but too many books with deadlines this month. I will re-read it soon, however!

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments Glennis wrote: "The picture of Celie and Albert sewing together is one I can't quite wrap my mind around, but that's ok. It was an enjoyable read, even as a re-read.

Lots of growing and changing in all the main ..."

This was one of the most powerful scenes for me in literature. It shows the power of forgiveness, of finding peace within yourself. You can't become happy while being angry at old hurts, right? By forgiving to Albert, Celie found that love for the same person has bound them together. Her forgiveness also changed Albert, who let go of his anger as well,

Daniel Clark I was so worried when we read the short letter from Celie that says she receives word that Nettie's boat sinks in the Atlantic. It's a low point during Celie's adjustment phase after Shug leaves. And then we get the last note, where Nettie and company finally arrive, and they are so overjoyed they embrace and are so weak they fall down together. It is such a relief that the reader wants to fall over too! Nice to have a happy ending after all that :)