Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Color Purple
This topic is about The Color Purple
Archived > The Color Purple, Week 3 (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marta (gezemice) | 213 comments Please discuss your thoughts about the third quarter of The Color Purple here.

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments Things are starting to look up now! Shug, Celie, and Squeak seem to be enjoying their lives finally. Celie is a much different person than she was at the beginning of the book. She's in charge of her own life now. She's making her own living. She finally got to speak up on the cruel treatment of Mr_______. She's happy, strong, and free now. She's loved.

I also found the section on God and how God can be found within yourself rather than in church to be interesting. Throughout the entire book so far, Celie always writes to God but I never felt like she had a true relationship with God. Especially earlier on, when she interchanged Pa and God when she was talking about who took her children away from her. With Shug's help, she is finally able to view God in a different light.

Kimberly | 145 comments Wow! Celie learned a lot in this third section. And, she is coming into her own, as they say. She has left her husband and is starting her own business.

I wonder if her letters are going to Nettie. She may be addressing her letters to her sister instead of God, but is she sending them. I guess I better read more to see if Nettie responds to the things she writes.

In response to a comment from Week 2 (I didn't want to put a spoiler in that section), it is in this third section where we learn more about Samuel, the preacher who took Nettie in, and he seems to be the only decent man in this book. Shug may have gotten married to a good guy, but he seems to have a wandering eye, so I'm not sure he really is a good guy. But, at least he isn't beating Shug like Albert and Harpo beat their wives. I wonder if I'm reading too much into it, but maybe Walker is making a point that the only decent man is a man of God. That's just my opinion, though. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 13, 2017 07:09AM) (new)

Ooh, I like how this part adds a whole new dimension to the story. It widens the scope of the narrative through Nettie's letters and as she explores her life as a missionary we get an insight into other people's and black communities' views on the female/male relationship.

Political notions of slavery and submission and colonialism are tamped down by putting the focus on the individual lives and the emphasis on how things really do change as the time progresses.

And I've finally found the purple:
I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it.
Even after all the atrocities the characters live through they still are able to find the good in life.

Glennis How amusing that pants pave Celie's way to freedom?

Good catch Y !! Nicely done.

I enjoyed Nettie's letters....more to come.

Daniel Clark I was actually gonna put the book down after the first half, but when I went to post that, I saw here on the discussion board that things turn around. So I decided to stick with it. I like the change in pace after the first half. I'm also glad that Celie was not raped by her biological father. So there's one good twist. I understand where she's coming from when she blames God for His treatment of poor black women, but I wish people could distinguish between bad things done by bad people and bad things done by God Himself. How can a God that grants us free will take it away, even if people exercise that free will to hurt others? He can't. I also liked the insights about Africa, and the way missionaries were treated, and the way imperialism worked at that time.