Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Color Purple
This topic is about The Color Purple
Archived > The Color Purple, Week 2 (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marta (gezemice) | 213 comments Please discuss your thoughts about the second quarter of The Color Purple here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm close to 42% done. My first notion about this book being able to make me cry turned out to be correct. I don't want to read this book anymore or even exist in this world knowing things like this happen. :(

Poor Squeak. Mary Agnes. Poor Sofia. All that strength - she was one of the protagonists who I revered not just for her conviction that she would never let a man beat her and get away with it, but to leave Harpo and go when he made it more than clear he no longer had any real affection for her. Most women tend to cling rather than have the strength to walk away from abuse and neglect. Now, she's in jail. Acting the role of the submissive that she always said she never would.

Poor Squeak. This bit actually made me so depressed I wanted to cry, rail and walk off a ledge to show my sense of outrage. Poor, poor squeak. I will finish this book in a day or two. And then pick something very light. Depression for a month doesn't look very appealing!

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments I agree with all of the things Priya said above. The women in this book have to go through so much hardship and even Sofia has to pay for the traits I admired her for. It's strange that Shug and Celie gets along so well, but Shug's friendship has a positive influence on Celie. It was also really sweet of Shug to help Celie get her sister's letters back. All those years of thinking her sister had died, only to find out that the letters had been withheld. Mr_____ is despicable. I wish there were more men like the reverend Samuel.

Kimberly | 145 comments I too agree with all of the above. This really is a sad story. Well, mostly. Nettie's story (at least what I've read so far of it) seems to help me recover from the horror of Celie's life (and Sofia and Squeak). Nettie was able to get away and find a good family who is willing to help her get educated. And, she even gets to keep an eye on Celie's kids. I really hope that Celie's life gets better. But, we'll see how that goes...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Shug Avery is a character most widely diverse here, as she means different things to so many other characters. She is a fallen woman to the preacher and community, Albert’s great love, a mirror for Sophie and Celie, and maybe Celie’s great love. She comes from being described as a danger to Celie (although I have no idea why she would be jealous, as she has no feelings for Mr. ____) to being her greatest ally (seducing Mr. ____ to prove her suspicions about Nettie’s letters). I am unsure about Celie’s sexual preferences but we do see her admiration for Shug Avery even when she’d only seen her in the photo.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Y wrote: "Shug Avery is a character most widely diverse here, as she means different things to so many other characters. She is a fallen woman to the preacher and community, Albert’s great love, a mirror for..."

Y - Albert's great love seems like a hollow thing with no real substance.. Character really doesn't seem like much in week 2!

Michelle wrote: "I agree with all of the things Priya said above. The women in this book have to go through so much hardship and even Sofia has to pay for the traits I admired her for. It's strange that Shug and Ce..."

The reverend is a God among the other males in the novel!

Glennis The characters in this quarter of the book are finding out who they really are and more of what they're each about deep inside...as if Albert has a deep inside. Nettie was anxious to marry him? With Shug on the side?? She benefitted by their father's greed!!

What depth of character Celie shows being willing to take Shug in and nurse her back to health! What kind of a man does that to his wife, though.... What an eye-opener for Shug about her beloved Albert... I think the realization that he wasn't who she thought he was all those years gave her freedom from his pretty boy spell. And for her to turn on Albert and give Celie the letters! I can hardly wait to see where things go from here!

Have we seen a primary or secondary male character who has any character yet? The men seem to be snakes in the grass thus far...