Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Color Purple
This topic is about The Color Purple
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > The Color Purple - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marta (last edited Jan 30, 2017 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marta (gezemice) | 213 comments Our February read is The Color Purple by Alice Walker. Since the book has no chapter titles or numbers, I will give the schedule in percentages (roughly).

Week 1: February 1- 7, 0-25%
Week 2: February 8-14, 26-50% (roughly to where Nettie's letters begin)
Week 3: February 15-21, 51-75%
Week 4: February 22-28, 76-100%

You are welcome to read at your own pace, just post in the appropriate folders.

message 2: by Beverley (last edited Feb 08, 2017 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beverley The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Always worth a re-read. This copy as an Introduction written by Alice Walker and she says that The Color Purple is all about God. I have not read it that way before, yet as i read it this time, i came to see how Celie's relationship towards and with God changes as the book progresses. In the beginning she believes what she is told, that God is a man, a white man, a being, a person, but Shug teaches her that God is in all things and is part of all things and this helps Celie to accept her lot in life. This changes her and bit by bit she begins to understand who she is and how she fits into the world and that love with and to anyone is better than no love at all. She also realizes and accept that also love changes and sometimes it seems to leave in the end it returns, but she also realizes that love dwells in her own heart and she can choose to love who she wants to love.
Always an inspiration.

Marta (gezemice) | 213 comments Beverley wrote: "The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Always worth a re-read. This copy as an Introduction written by Alice Walker and she says that The Color Purple is all about God. I have not read it that way ..."

I have read this before and planning to re-read - I will keep this in mind! There is a lot about God in this book. God within yourself is a lot more empowering than God as a power above who tells you what to do, in my view. The first gives you an internal moral compass, the second makes you reliant on outside judgment.
This concept is very Buddhist, I found.

Daniel Clark I think it's easy for a parent to say, "I would like my child to be obedient," but to also say, "I would like my child to be independent and exercise her own free will." I definitely see these sides of the same coin in this book. As a father, God wants both, just like we want to be guided but free as well. I think the obedient ones learn to be independent (like Celie), and the independent ones learn--or are forced--to be obedient (like Sofia). This progress, displayed so viscerally and exposed, is perhaps what makes this book so worth reading.

Marta (gezemice) | 213 comments I agree that the process what makes this book so worth reading. It is different from almost everything else I read. Most books have a resolution in action. This is a spiritual journey and it is an empowering one. For once, the triumph is not through outside circumstances, but one's own internal growth.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.