Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Jennifer - Rogue Traveler (2017)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Hi! I love to read fiction set in different countries and travel by book, as it were. I'm going to give the Rogue Traveler a go. Hopefully this will inspire me to read books set in new places!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments First book up, The Praying Nun - A Slave Shipwreck Saga by Michael Smorenburg, set in South Africa.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Fast Track to Glory by Tomasz Chrusciel, set primarily in Italy and India.
There are also a few chapters set in Germany and Austria.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments When the Devil's Idle by Leta Serafim, set in Greece.

message 5: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Welcome to the challenge, Jennifer! You are off to a great start.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Diane wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Jennifer! You are off to a great start."

Thank you, Diane! Have a great weekend.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Enemy Fire by Rose Johnson, historical fiction set in Atlanta, Georgia.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Casket Cache by Janice J. Richardson, set in Niagara, Canada.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Titian's Boatman by Victoria Blake, set in Italy, England and New York City. Most of the book takes place in Italy and England - NYC is the setting for a smaller side story. Lavish detailed descriptions of Venice and London in particular.

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 31, 2017 04:21AM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Four Corners: A Journey into the Heart of Papua New Guinea by Kira Salak.

[[I just added the Dutch version, entitled Dwars door de wildernis. it is not yet searchable, but here is the link in case you'd rather add this one to the readerboard: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... ]]

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 05, 2017 12:45PM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Lost Tribe by Edward Marriott

**excuses, Dianne. I forgot to mention it is set in Papua New Guinea (added this info on June 5)

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 05, 2017 12:46PM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Restless: Memoir of an Incurable Traveller by Heather Hackett

Set across Asia, in particular China, Nepal, Thailand, India, Burma/Myanmar.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Master by Dora Ilieva. Set in Bulgaria, Croatia, Bosnia and Italy.

I highly recommend this one, especially to mystery fans!

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Secret Wife by Gill Paul.

Set in Russia (during the Russian Revolution and the time of the Romanov's) and the East Coast of America (present day).

I really enjoyed this story and the many details the author provides about Russian life and culture. I recommend it to historical fiction fans.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Red Door by Rosa Fedele

Set in Australia. An excellent, though somewhat disturbing, mystery.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Lead Me Into Danger by Daniella Bernett. Set in Venice, Italy and London, UK.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments A captivating trip to historic Japan and the age of the Shogun - The Shogun's Queen by Lesley Downer.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Another lovely trip to Canada thanks to Grave Mistake by Janice J. Richardson.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Beautiful descriptions of Utah and the Southwest of America in Artifacts of Death by Rich Curtin.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Charm of Lost Chances by Lucia N. Davis. A mystery set in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. I enjoyed this novella!

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments A Knife in Darkness by Lexie Conyngham

Historical mystery set in Georgian Scotland.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Devil's Gorge by Dora Ilieva

Solid artifact mystery set in Bulgaria. Excellent series.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Jumping The Cracks by Victoria Blake

Set in England: Excellent and detailed descriptions of Oxford and the Pitt Rivers Museum

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Oops, I forgot to add in a few from 2017:

Desert Skies, Rebel Souls by M.P. Tonnesen set in Israel, Egypt and Jordan.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments From 2017:
Voyagers Into the Unknown by Ruchira Khanna Set in India.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Geez, I was also in Sri Lanka (via book). I am sorry for the extra work, Diane. It's been a crazy December and I haven't been on Goodreads much! Here's to a more relaxing 2018 :)

Trouble in Nuala by Harriet Steel. It's a great book; travel fiction with a light mystery.

message 30: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments No problem.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Diane wrote: "No problem."

Thank you!

message 32: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Jennifer wrote: "Question for the group about country names and expectations:

My next book is set in the Asmat region of Dutch New Guinea in 1962 - on an island many refer to as 'Papua New Guinea' (even though th..."

No worries. You can claim it as any of those locations for your personal list. I will place it under Indonesia when I place it under "Where We Have Been", since my list is using present day locations.

message 33: by Judith (new)

Judith Hollinshed | 5 comments Hi Jennifer, the left hand (as you put it) part of the island which you are talking about was called Dutch New Guinea then, when Indonesia conducted it so-called Act of Free Choice and took over from the Dutch, it was called West Irian until autonomy when it became Papua. The right hand part of the country since World War 1 has been divided in to two, the top half, the top hald administered by Germany was called New Guinea and the bottom part, mandated to Australia. was called Papua. After World War 2, when UN gave Australia the responsibility of bringing both parts to democratic nationhood,they became Papua New Guinea. It isn't correct to call the left hand side Papua New Guinea. Personally I think the name should be changed as being too long, awkward, confusing and lacking in identity. Jude Blogg

message 34: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 21, 2018 01:35PM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Judith wrote: "Hi Jennifer, the left hand (as you put it) part of the island which you are talking about was called Dutch New Guinea then, when Indonesia conducted it so-called Act of Free Choice and took over fr..."

Thank you, Jude Blogg! It's so convoluted. You are absolutely right! All references to Papua New Guinea in the historical chapters in the book will be replaced with Dutch New Guinea (because it does take place during the period of Dutch colonization) and I'll use Papua in the book description. It's incredible how many times the island has changed names, borders and control. I have learned a tremendous amount during the research phase and clearly still have much more to learn. Thank you for responding!