What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-Fi book- conciousness in computers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T (new)

T | 10 comments Read around 2012.

I remember the cover of the book had green on it, possibly?

A company had created a way to upload your consciousness to a computer or the internet? I think the main protag had someone pass in his family and he dealt with the company. There was something fishy happening? I don't really remember exactly what. I think they were cryogenically freezing people, also?

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (baylorbear78) | 11 comments Could it be Mindscan or another Robert Sawyer book?

message 3: by T (new)

T | 10 comments Nope. No androids involved. It was like they were freezing them and uploading them for later?

But people they said they froze, they didn't? or...something. :/

message 4: by David (new)

David (jazztea) | 63 comments Is it William Gibson's 'Burning Chrome.' Your description reminded me of the film Johnny Mnemonic, which the story is the inspiration. William wrote the screenplay and the story.

message 5: by T (new)

T | 10 comments Nope.

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatiger) | 30 comments I wish I could help because I'm pretty sure I've read the book you're talking about. People are frozen and their minds are uploaded to some sort of nice virtual place as the next step for humanity...except some shady stuff is going on and it's not what it seems. I think the main guy's mother was uploaded because she was dead or terminally ill, so he'd go in (link to the system) and visit her. Maybe? Something like that. There may have also been some weird sex scene in either microgravity or cyber space, in a tiny but bright closet-like bedroom. Or maybe I'm way off base here lol.

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatiger) | 30 comments Oops, never mind...I think I'm merging two books in my head. The "ascended" mother scenario is from Blindsight. I know there's another one with people being frozen when their minds are uploaded but I have no idea what the details are!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
We Are Legion (We Are Bob)? It is a recent book. Definitely shady, involves uploaded Bob tracking down his descendant. I don't recall a sex scene, per se.

message 9: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments I've read and/or seen stories like this but not sure if any are this version. There was an episode of Black Mirror ("San Junipero" -
http://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-s...) which had a virtual world where old and ill and disabled people could upload themselves.

Here's a Wikipedia entry with a big, long list of titles which include some sort of mind uploading. Maybe your book is on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_up...

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 137 comments Bester's Why call them back from Heaven?

message 12: by T (new)

T | 10 comments No, none of these are right. I'm wondering if the cryogenetically freezing part was more the main focus of the book. There was a company who offered that for loved ones.

message 13: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments Tori, your book was none of those listed in the Wikipedia link?

message 14: by Martin (last edited Jul 21, 2017 09:28PM) (new)

Martin | 30 comments Brain Jack by Brian Falkner. Has more than one cover but one of them is green
descriptionBrain Jack

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37344 comments Mod
Tori, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 16: by T (new)

T | 10 comments Still never figured it out but I just don't remember enough of it anymore to be helpful. :(

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37344 comments Mod
Just keep bumping your thread every couple or three months. You never know when someone might recognize your book.