Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Where Can I Promote My Book? > Launch Party or Not?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
I'm pondering this decision based on a recent interview question I got today and I'm conflicted. Being an unknown writer, with not very many dollars to purchase books, has me wanting to say "no way" to the idea of a Launch Party, but then gain I feel like, why not? I can invite my friends and family, buy some books, have them invite friends and make a few sales maybe? Has anyone actually done a physical in person launch party? How was it?

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4571 comments Mod
I haven't done one. I have done other kinds of book parties, spent on ads, food, drinks, promotional stuff, and not many people showed up. It was as embarrassing as it was expensive. I put my money into Facebook advertising instead and got better results.

message 3: by R.L. (new)

I'm so sorry to hear that. And that's also another reason that scares me too to be honest

message 4: by N.N. (new)

N.N. Light (nnlight) I've done virtual launch parties and they've been pretty successful. Everyone loves a good Facebook Launch party. Invite authors from your genre to participate and be sure to give away tons of prizes.

message 5: by Carole (new)

Julie has done that for both of us and it worked well because she brought in people who had a wide reach on the internet.

message 6: by R.L. (new)

Yeah I've contemplated that as well, I guess I'll have to see where the chips fall prize wise. That will determine if I do one

message 7: by N.N. (new)

N.N. Light (nnlight) Well, if you get together with a bunch of authors, everyone splits the prizes. We can't afford very much so I give away e-copies of our books as well as a bunch of $5 Amazon GC's.

message 8: by R.L. (new)

Oh that's a cool idea. Didn't know other authors pitched in too!

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 286 comments Ou can also have a few paperbacks for display and sell ebooks at the party. Bring a card reader and an ipad. On another thread the author printed the redemption codes on bookmarks. Not sure how they're generated, though.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie Gerber | 189 comments Mod
R.L. wrote: "Oh that's a cool idea. Didn't know other authors pitched in too!"

There are so many ways to do it. You may be able to reach out and find sponsors to help. Some people work with Etsy designers to create something for a book launch. Book charms are popular. You could trade traffic to her site or blog/facebook in exchange for a grand prize. Remember to follow Facebook terms of service if you post there- you can't promise likes, but you can tell people to visit. If you ask them to post their favorite item for sale, you are getting more traffic and traffic is valuable. You would have to prepare and ask a few (possibly) before one agrees. Also, consider asking a cookie designer to create something and see if you can make a trade. Those are just a few ideas!

message 11: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 76 comments Facebook launch parties are the bomb. They're also free, so no risk. You can gain a few fans, promote the book, and have fun with fellow authors. :) I totally recommend.

As for live ones at an actual location, that's only if you can afford the venue and the advertising. I can't, so that's not a possibility for me.

message 12: by R.L. (new)

Thanks guys. I'll def like ok into it now

message 13: by Angel (new)

Angel | 721 comments I've never done either virtual or live launch party. I haven't showed much interest in them to promote my books, but I've been invited to them and have participated in them in other capacities.

message 14: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
I have heard lots of good things about Facebook launch parties. I haven't done one yet but am considering the idea. Many authors do author takeovers where other authors who write in the same genre run the party in 15-30 minute sections. I have heard some authors do giveaways of their books or even a $20 gift card drawing eligible to everyone who buys a copy of their book. I have seen some authors who say they didn't have many attendees, but that it was a still blast to connect with readers and they would do it again.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Julie did one for my son for Sarah Noffkee. It brought a bunch of fresh readers who might not have ever heard of him and he got a good amount of reviews from it. Sarah's a great promoter and really knows how to expand her audience. It was a really worthwhile experience.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Our next takeover is Thursday! I'll be sharing links for anyone interested in attending. It will be an all day event.

message 17: by Justin (last edited Feb 01, 2017 08:13PM) (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments I'm actually doing a Facebook Launch Party for my newest book next Wednesday. I don't get a big turn out but I do my best and make due with what I do get. I usually do fun stuff, supply info on the book, do giveaway contests and give away others books as well who are attending the event. I'm hoping this event will be bigger than past ones because I am putting alot into getting my book out including running a Facebook ad, iAuthor ad and making my first book free.

So all this will be going on while the event is happening so I'm really relying on the launch party to be a success and fun time for everyone.

February 8th-
https://www.facebook.com/events/17572...

message 18: by Carole (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:09PM) (new)

Make sure you come back and remind everybody, Justin! Don't forget to put the link.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments I just added the link but I'll be sure to comment next week to remind people in case their interested.

message 20: by Julie (new)

Today Michael Phillip Cash is taking over Sarah Noffke's Facebook group. It is called Awesome Reading Marathoners. Check it out. Michael's party runs all day with some great giveaways! Michael has done this before and it is so much fun. It starts at 8am PST and runs all day. I hope you will join us! https://www.facebook.com/groups/23047...

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4617 comments Julie wrote: "Today Michael Phillip Cash is taking over Sarah Noffke's Facebook group. It is called Awesome Reading Marathoners. Check it out. Michael's party runs all day with some great giveaways! Michael has ..."

Not being a Facebooker I can't take part, but I have told my twitter followers about it, so maybe that will bring a few visitors your way.

message 22: by Julie (new)

Alex wrote: "Julie wrote: "Today Michael Phillip Cash is taking over Sarah Noffke's Facebook group. It is called Awesome Reading Marathoners. Check it out. Michael's party runs all day with some great giveaways..."
Thanks Alex! We are having a blast. Seeing huge jumps in his rankings. I love the energy from parties :)

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4617 comments You're welcome Julie, well done with the jump in rankings, always good to hear about success.

message 24: by Ember-Raine (last edited Feb 06, 2017 04:49PM) (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 186 comments Mine is coming up in two days! I do have some other romancers doing takeovers and such. I will let you know how it goes and if I think I will do it again in the future!
Here is the link in case anyone is interested! It is on Wednesday February 8th. After Justin's. :)
https://www.facebook.com/events/12058...

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread