LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Lemon Tart
2017 Books of the Month > Feb '17 - Lemon Tart Ch 14-24

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SamZ (last edited Jan 30, 2017 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

SamZ (samwisezbrown) Once you have read the selection, come over and answer the questions. Please answer the question of the person above you and leave one for the next person!

1. Sadie talks about learning how to text. It's apparent that this book is a few years old, but technology is evolving daily. Is there some new form of technology that is tough for you to grasp?

2. Should Sadie have taken the book & calendar from Anne's house?

3. What is going on with Jack? We learn in the beginning of the book that he is estranged from his wife, but now he's back & forth the night following the murder. Do you think this is suspicious or just coincidental?

4. At the end of chapter 24, Sadie is called down to the precinct and told "We've had a confession." Who do you think confessed?

5. Answer the question of the person above you. If they forgot to leave one, answer the question above them.

6. Leave a question for the person below you, answer it if you want to.

Nancy (zolaone) | 65 comments At Sadie's age, it is not unlikely that she has trouble texting. I don't text. It's too hard for me to touch the right letters, and it takes too long.

I have already finished the book, but Jack's behavior was suspicious at this point.

Jack confessed.
When was the lemon tart into put into the oven? Ann was said to have been killed early in the morning.

message 3: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 31, 2017 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kimberly | 14 comments 1. Sadie talks about learning how to text. It's apparent that this book is a few years old, but technology is evolving daily. Is there some new form of technology that is tough for you to grasp?
I was surprised to find out this book was published in 2009. Cell phones have evolved quite a bit since then! As of now there's really no form of technology that's tough for me to grasp. I'm getting to that point, though, where I don't really care to learn about new technology if I don't need it for work or my personal every day use.

I definitely don't think so. I know Sadie is curious and wants to find Trevor, but she keeps crossing lines. She's really getting on my nerves.

3. What is going on with Jack? We learn in the beginning of the book that he is estranged from his wife, but now he's back & forth the night following the murder. Do you think this is suspicious or just coincidental?
I'm not sure how Jack in involved. He works at the same firm as Ron so something is going on, though I'm not quite sure what. I think Carrie has done something.

4. At the end of chapter 24, Sadie is called down to the precinct and told "We've had a confession." Who do you think confessed?
I think Ron finally talked to the police. He could have confessed to cover up for the murderer. But why?

5. Answer the question of the person above you. If they forgot to leave one, answer the question above them.
Anne must have put it in the oven some time during the night before she was killed. Maybe she's a night owl baker.

Carrie seems to be acting a little odd. Sadie noticed that she wasn't at work when she was supposed to be. Do you think Carrie is involved somehow in Anne's murder?

message 4: by SamZ (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

SamZ (samwisezbrown) 1. Sadie talks about learning how to text. It's apparent that this book is a few years old, but technology is evolving daily. Is there some new form of technology that is tough for you to grasp?
I struggle with the smart boards in the various classrooms I sub in. Partly because they're all different and partly because I just want my low-tech white board back!

Definitely not!

I find this very suspicious. I don't really know how this is going to play out, but something is definitely "wrong" at Jack & Carrie's house.

I think it's Jack. I feel like it has to be either Jack or Ron for the police to call Sadie, and I still don't think they know about Ron & Sadie's relationship.

5. Question above: Carrie seems to be acting a little odd. Sadie noticed that she wasn't at work when she was supposed to be. Do you think Carrie is involved somehow in Anne's murder?
At first I thought Carrie was just having some kind of mental issues, based mostly on the fact that she's lonely and her husband and kids are all gone. But now I'm starting to get suspicious...

My question: When Sadie's daughter was sick, she would make Alfredo to comfort her. What is your favorite "comfort food?"
My family is Lebanese, so my favorite food is a type of meatloaf called kibi. However, it is difficult to make and I don't know of anywhere to buy it. So when I get sick, I usually ask my husband (who can cook very well) to make me Kraft mac & cheese with cut up hot dogs in it. This is my go to comfort food.

Katrina Lybbert | 72 comments 1. Sadie talks about learning how to text. It's apparent that this book is a few years old, but technology is evolving daily. Is there some new form of technology that is tough for you to grasp?
**I have no problem with texting, I do that all the time, but for some reason I have not got around to having email on my phone or facebook. I still go to my computer for those things. I also have never used twitter, or instagram etc. I just use my phone for calls and texting. So I guess I am still behind the times on all the things you can use a phone for. :)

**I don't think so. She is crossing a line.

**There is certainly something suspicious going on.

**I was going to just read to the end of Chapter 24 and then stop and come answer these questions, but I ended up reading 25 as well and found out who confessed. So I can't make a guess anymore. :)

5. Question above:

When Sadie's daughter was sick, she would make Alfredo to comfort her. What is your favorite "comfort food?"
**My comfort food is mashed potatoes.

6.Leave a question for the person below you...

I find that Sadie is really quick to judge Ron, even though they are engaged. Would you be as quick to judge, or be more listening and talk with Ron and try to understand what is going on without jumping to conclusions?

message 6: by Deb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deb | 0 comments 1. Sadie talks about learning how to text. It's apparent that this book is a few years old, but technology is evolving daily. Is there some new form of technology that is tough for you to grasp? I don't have a twitter account and my kids make fun of me because I write the words out instead to text shorthand. I have gotten the point that I to do things, like indexing, on my tablet and get frustrated that I have to use my laptop.

2. Should Sadie have taken the book & calendar from Anne's house? No, I think this also shows the age of the book. Most people I know don't have paper calendars any more. Everything is on their phone.

3. What is going on with Jack? We learn in the beginning of the book that he is estranged from his wife, but now he's back & forth the night following the murder. Do you think this is suspicious or just coincidental? I thinks he is still concerned about his family.

4. At the end of chapter 24, Sadie is called down to the precinct and told "We've had a confession." Who do you think confessed? I don't who but I know it wasn't Ron.

**I find that Sadie is really quick to judge Ron, even though they are engaged. Would you be as quick to judge, or be more listening and talk with Ron and try to understand what is going on without jumping to conclusions?
**Sadie is a 56 widow. She has had a successful marriage where she should have learn to communicate with her husband, not a jump to conclusion teenager. No I would not be like Sadie, I would tell Ron my concerns and let him explain.

**Is Sadie really concerned about Trevor or Ron?

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet Fralick | 13 comments 1. Sadie talks about learning how to text. It's apparent that this book is a few years old, but technology is evolving daily. Is there some new form of technology that is tough for you to grasp?

I remember being hesitant to try email when it first came out. I have only had a smart phone for about a year and barely use it. I still love my computer!

No, I really don't understand how her mind works. The comment before mentioned how no one has paper calendars anymore. I didn't even notice that. Even when I started keeping my calendar on my computer I still liked to print out the month just to have it on my desk.

Jack has been a red flag for me since the beginning. I think he is the one Ron is covering for.

I think Jack confessed but I'm even more suspicious of Carrie.

Is Sadie really concerned about Trevor or Ron? I'm having a hard time understanding Sadie's mind. She seems more concerned about someone else knowing something that she doesn't. If she would have let Ron talk she would probably have known a lot more.

If you have had children old enough to leave home how have you handled the transition? How did your own mother handle it?