Brandon Sanderson Community discussion

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
This topic is about The Well of Ascension
Questions > Szeth

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have finished reading the first two books in this series and enjoyed them. However, I am lost as to how Seth-son-son Vallano obtained his initial power. Also I am confused about the king from the city of bells, does he have days where he is intermittently smarter then others and can predict the future? Does he write on a map? This whole story line seems odd to me. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Slick | 74 comments Szeth's history hasn't been revealed yet. His flashback book will be the fifth Stormlight book. His Windrunning power came from the Honorblade he carried, it let him use the Lashings.
Now Kaladin has it Szeth can no longer use stormlight or hae access to the Lashings.

Taravangian visited the Nightwatcher, seeking for a way to surie the Desolations she gave him varied intelligence(Boon and Curse). One day he could be smart, the next a simpleton or superhumanly smart and vice versa. So yes it is different everyday but there is some sort of bellcurve.

He has no future prediction he just became insanely smart, and i mean SUPER GODDAMN SMART it's basically a combination of math probability and logic combined, forming a Diagram of the most likely course of events. I assume the more time passes the less effective it will be.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

First thanks for answering. I really enjoyed the books. I thought this was going to be a trilogy. Guess not... Do you now think Szeth will become a Knight Radiant? And how do the Ghost Bloods fit into all of this?

Slick | 74 comments There's going to be 10 books **FISTPUMP** Two five book arcs.

I hope he will, he is one of my favourite characters! He's just joined the Skybreakers under Nalan so it might happen.
The Ghostbloods are still a mystery to me but they seem pretty badass.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow 10 books that is most excellent. I am glad to meet some one as interested in this topic as I am. Do you have any Idea when the next book is going to be released? I will be interested to learn more about Wit. I read Patrick Rothfuss. I did not think Brandon could live up to Patrick but he did. Now I am stuck waiting for them to both write a new book. If you have not read Rothfuss you should check it out, it crosses over well with Sanderson. Thanks again for the discussion.

Nate | 43 comments Michael, the third Stormlight Archive book is called Oathbringer and should come out Nov. 2017. We're all excited for it! Brandon currently is working on the 3rd draft now.

Also, read his other books! They're all so good. Mistborn is epic and will be split up over four time eras. The first era's trilogy is done and the second era has 3 of 4 written so far.

Joel | 67 comments Michael wrote: "Wow 10 books that is most excellent. I am glad to meet some one as interested in this topic as I am. Do you have any Idea when the next book is going to be released? I will be interested to learn m..."

Wit--Hoid--is very interesting. He appears in all of the Cosmere novels. Mr. Sanderson has also said there will be a book(s) specifically about Hoid and what he has been up to throughout all of the Cosmere novels, and he has also said that Hoid is his favorite character out of all of his characters.

Slick | 74 comments If anybody hasn't checked out the 17thShard you should. It's a fan forum for all of Brandon's work, it's got some pretty amazing stuff.

Brandon will be doing 4/5th draft of oarhbringer around march.

Hoid is amazing haha

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

So Hoid is Wit...interesting. Thanks Joel for this nugget of information. I will check out the 17thShard. Great stuff.

Nikhil More | 11 comments I love Sanderson's books. they are amazing. I also thought stormlight would be a trilogy. 10 books is way better than I ever expected. I have read Patrik's the name of the wind nd it's sequel. to be honest I didn't find those books as good as Sanderson's . I prefer Brent Weeks Lightbringer Series. it has lot in common with mistborn series and keeps getting interesting by each book. you should give it a try .

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, Brent Weeks the Lightbringer Series. While I am waiting for Sanderson I will try This new series. Thanks for the recommendation. By the way Slick, I checked out the 17th Shard and it was amazing thanks.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Nikhl, Am I correct to start with the book the Black Prism?Michael wrote: "So Hoid is Wit...interesting. Thanks Joel for this nugget of information. I will check out the 17thShard. Great stuff."

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments Lightbringer is great, Black Prism is #1

``````````````

Szeth is an interesting character, I really want to like him but somehow can't. I feel like he should have tried harder to convince his people instead of just accepting becoming Truthless

Slick | 74 comments OH MY GOD!!!! TRY LIGHTBRINGER RIGHT NOW!!
AND NIGHT ANGEL TOO!! Haha

I personally love Szeth, being Truthless is his punishment. He didn't enjoy what he did but he followed the laws of his people and suffered for it.

Thats the difference between Windrunners & Sybreakers: Windrunners do not care for laws they do whats right, where as Skyreakers follow the law to the T.

message 15: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel | 67 comments If you guys have read Stormlight 1 and 2, then you really need to read Edgedancer. You get a few glimpses into what is happening with Szeth after Stormlight 2. Also, it contains some interesting info that will be important to know before book 3 concerning Nin. It's also a lot of fun. Brandon gives you a glimpse at a different part of Roshar that we have yet to see as well.

Slick | 74 comments Just finishing my reread.. ugh my heart breaks for Szeth, will he ever stop getting screwed over?

message 17: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel | 67 comments Slick wrote: "Just finishing my reread.. ugh my heart breaks for Szeth, will he ever stop getting screwed over?"

Have you read Edgedancer yet?

Slick | 74 comments The day it was out ;)

message 19: by Goksenin (last edited Feb 02, 2017 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Goksenin Seyhan | 6 comments Nater wrote: "Also, read his other books! They're all so good. Mistborn is epic and will be split up over four time eras. The first era's trilogy is done and the second era has 3 of 4 written so far.

I second this. Read Brandon's other books. Original Mistborn Trilogy is easily in my top 3 series of all time!

Goksenin Seyhan | 6 comments Joel wrote: "If you guys have read Stormlight 1 and 2, then you really need to read Edgedancer. You get a few glimpses into what is happening with Szeth after Stormlight 2. Also, it contains some interesting in..."

Literally beginning edgedancer right now :)

message 21: by Joel (last edited Feb 02, 2017 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel | 67 comments Awesome. I really enjoyed it, and it got me even more super excited to see what was coming in the future for Stormlight.

Goksenin Seyhan | 6 comments Same here Joel. To be honest I was not a very big fan of Lift on WoR. She read like a big time cliche to me. That actually changed in the edgedancer with good character development. Her interactions with other major characters were great. Can't wait for Oathbringer now.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok everybody I have started Black Prism. This has been the most excellent thread. Thanks so much for everybody's enthusiasm and ideas. Joel I have also been encouraged by some of my co workers to read Edgedancer. That is next on my list. Looking forward to further thoughts thanks again.

Nikhil More | 11 comments Michael- just wait till you start next books of lightbringer series. it keeps getting better and better. :)
and for me edgedancer it is , right after I finish witcher series.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Nikhil, the Black Prism has been interesting so far. I am only 150 pages in and the book is very imaginative. I have to admit I have to write down the names of all the characters. It seems as though all the series are now running together in my head. But this book certainly is entertaining and has unique ideas. Thanks for the encouragement.