Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)
Archive - Series Reads > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2) - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2017 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 6034 comments Mod
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the second book in the Harry Potter Series. The group is reading the series in preparation for reading the Fantasy Category Winner Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 later in the year.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling

The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockhart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny. But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone, or something, starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects: Harry Potter himself?

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm hoping to start this one right at the beginning of the month. I just need to finish the book I'm currently listening to first. I really enjoyed listening to the first book narrated by Jim Dale and I'm looking forward to this one.

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
I had a car journey yesterday, so have already started it ..... still not got to hogwarts yet though :)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Starting my re-read via audio today. :)

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just finished chapter 6 and Lockhart is (view spoiler)

message 6: by Reija (new) - added it

Reija | 101 comments I started audio too even if it is little bit annoying to pay third time these books.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was thinking that too. I wish they'd have a sale on the HP audios.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

How's everyone coming with this one? Are you planning to keep going with the series?

I enjoyed it (of course). I had forgotten that (view spoiler) I plan to keep going with my re-read.

I'm hoping to have some time to watch the movies too. I didn't do that with the first one, so hopefully this month I'll watch both 1 & 2.

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4119 comments Mod
I did start it at the beginning of the month but didn't get very far.

So I'm going to start again this weekend (and use it as part of YLTO toppler).

message 10: by Reija (new) - added it

Reija | 101 comments I listened it like during couple days.. a book a month is quite a slow pace for me. Audible versions has been the first chapter from next book in the end of book and it is very hard not to go forward.

I like it, I'm still enjoying listening, it is new for me. I love podcasts but I have found it is harder to pay attention to story if it is fiction, discussions are easier to follow. But because it is very familiar story, this is nice.

It is funny how you can make every book political if you want, I don't usually try to compare real life and book but at the beginning of month all the news and themes of the book just kind of mixed. I remember to read some of Tolkien's letter how he was annoyed people reading his writing this way, with Rowling I don't know if she minds, at least her tweets are quite pointed sometimes.

I also pay attention to how Harry was treated at home. One of my friend read these books last year and she was kind of shocked how nobody (muggle or magic world) cared about his home life. Maybe I'm too used suffering in books that I hadn't even realize how awful life must be for him. Saving the world stuff, well, I guess that is just how things goes this genre.