Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > YA Super Hero Trilogy/116000 words Completed

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by V.L (new)

V.L Barycz | 3 comments Victoria Barycz
v.l.barycz91@gmail.com
http://vlbarycz.wixsite.com/author

First off just let me say thank you for even opening this and reading it. I've never had anybody besides my husband and his friend read my drafts so this is the next step in my dream to being a YA author. I have had mild success with my poetry and nonfiction but my true passion is creating YA works that let teens feel like they aren't alone, that someone else knows exactly how dangerous and how much it can suck to be a child. So I thank you again for any and all help given.

BLACK.

Genre: YA urban science fiction
Length: 395 pages, 115,887 words.
Status: Completed (This is the first novel in a trilogy. The second novel WHITE will be completed by the end of FEB 2017 and the final novel GREY should be completed by the end of APR 2017.)

The Project: Lilith “Lily” Peters lives in a world where her parents, a lawyer and an insurance agent are constantly trying to save the little guy from the damages of superheroes and villains. That is until, on her sixteenth birthday Lily finds out her parents are the two most powerful supervillains in Ash Heights. Now unsure who to trust Lily finds herself stuck between Collective, the powerful hero organization who want her parents and Severance, the terrorist villain organization whose claims could change Ash Heights forever.

What I’m looking for: To be honest this is my first time sending my novel out into the ether. In the last six months, I have drafted and redrafted, using my poor husband who at this point is as blind to the story as I am. The main concerns I have are enjoyment, continuity, and digestibility.

QUESTIONS!!! (So you know what I'm looking for)
1. Did the story hold your interest from the very beginning? If not, why not?
2. Did you get oriented fairly quickly at the beginning as to whose story it is, and where and when it’s taking place? If not, why not?
3. Could you relate to the main character? Did you feel her/his pain or excitement?
4. Did the setting interest you, and did the descriptions seem vivid and real to you?
5. Was there a point at which you felt the story started to lag or you became less than excited about finding out what was going to happen next? Where, exactly?
6. Were there any parts that confused you? Or even frustrated or annoyed you? Which parts, and why?
7. Did you notice any discrepancies or inconsistencies in time sequences, places, character details, or other details?
8. Were the characters believable? Are there any characters you think could be made more interesting or more likeable?
9. Did you get confused about who’s who in the characters? Were there too many characters to keep track of? Too few? Are any of the names or characters too similar?
10. Did the dialogue keep your interest and sound natural to you? If not, whose dialogue did you think sounded artificial or not like that person would speak?
11. Did you feel there was too much description or exposition? Not enough? Maybe too much dialogue in parts?
12. Was there enough conflict, tension, and intrigue to keep your interest?
13. Was the ending satisfying? Believable?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 115 comments Hi Victoria,

I LOVE superhero stories!! Unfortunately I'm completely swamped with requests and my own editing...would you perhaps be willing to wait until late February? Also, would you be willing to swap? I keep telling myself to stop looking on Goodreads until I'm caught up, but your story looks too good for me to pass up. Let me know if you're interested!

message 3: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Rydberg (edwinhrydberg) | 8 comments Hi Victoria,

I would be happy to beta-read your story. I love the superhero genre (I have a superhero book of my own) and yours sounds like an interesting twist. Also, the questions you're looking to have answered are precisely the kind of thing I tend to watch for as a beta-reader.

If you're interested, please message me and I can send you my contact info.

All the best,

Edwin