Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading January 30?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 981 comments So, what's up with y'all this week? I've been reading Lord of Secrets but I got bored with that one so I skipped to Tom Clancy's Under Fire for some suspense!

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1220 comments Just finished an ARC of The Duke and I loved it. This series is gritty and a bit dark. :-)

message 3: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1122 comments I'm waiting for the new EJ that is released TODAY!!!! Something else is being released today too but I can't remember what it is! haha

message 4: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1122 comments I remember what it was!! (thanks to H&H hahaha)
Kelly Bowen's between The Devil and the Duke!

message 5: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm reading Sheila Roberts's Starting Over on Blackberry Lane. Next up is Passion Favors the Bold by Theresa Romain. :)

message 6: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Super Tuesday today! When I woke up this morning On Second Thought, Seven Minutes in Heaven, Good Boy and Mogul were on my Kindle. Not sure where to start!

message 7: by Janga (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "Super Tuesday today! When I woke up this morning On Second Thought, Seven Minutes in Heaven, Good Boy and Mogul were on my Kindle. No..."

I've read the Higgins, James, and Shupe, Irish. You can't make a bad choice among them.

message 8: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2056 comments Mod
Reading Seven Minutes in Heaven. I love it! I had been frustrated with some of her books recently but this is great. Then the new Ben Aaronvitch Rivers of London book and On second thought by Kristan Higgins.

message 9: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1122 comments Dls wrote: "Reading Seven Minutes in Heaven. I love it! I had been frustrated with some of her books recently but this is great. Then the new Ben Aaronvitch Rivers of London book and On second thought by Krist..."

I LOVED IT DEB! (Using caps to adequately demonstrate my love and enjoyment of the new EJ!) I finished it last night! so a one day book for me!

message 10: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2056 comments Mod
I also read and really enjoyed Good Boy. The hero is crude and shallow and turns out to be a really good guy who is perceptive and goes way out of his way for people he cares about. I liked it and him much more than I anticipated when I heard about it.

Shallow by choice, I might add, in the sense he works hard at keeping things light.

message 11: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments I'm starting Good Boy today so it's nice to see a few of you liked it.

I just finished The Duke and if I'm honest I'm not quite sure if I enjoyed it or not. It has all the dark-brooding goodness of the other Victorian Rebels books but I think they're all starting to feel similar to each other. Can't one of these guys be a little more upbeat and less damaged?

message 12: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments I'm with you on GOOD BOY, Deb. I really liked it. What I liked so much is that both Blake and Jess were kind of getting on my nerves at the beginning but I loved them both and saw their HEA by the end. I like when an author(s) can do that! Blake is a total goofball, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings and isn't aware of what he's doing. I'm glad that came across in the last half of the book.

Now on to EJ's Seven Minutes in Heaven.

message 13: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1220 comments YES!!

I was amazed how much I ended up enjoying Good Boy because I did struggle with both characters in the beginning. I loved getting to know Blake's hidden depths.

For me, I think with having breaks in between I don't struggle as much as others have with The Duke. I read a lot of books in between so I never feel like I'm getting the same characters. Mind you, I do think this guy was the biggest douchewaffle of them all. I blubbered like a baby a few times with his callous and hurtful comments and actions.

message 14: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Does anyone know if there is Family Tree or chart for EJ's books. I'm reading SMIH and wishing I could look up who goes with who! My mind just isn't what it used to be! LOL

Elizabeth Hoyt does family trees and even has a cast of characters list on her website and I refer to it a lot when reading any of her Maiden Lane books! It's wonderful!

message 15: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments @Stacey - I think "douchewaffle" has become my word of the day! May I borrow it for my review? "Cole, you douchewaffle" has such a nice ring to it :)

message 16: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1220 comments Phoenix77 wrote: "@Stacey - I think "douchewaffle" has become my word of the day! May I borrow it for my review? "Cole, you douchewaffle" has such a nice ring to it :)"

Crack up!! Go for it. I can't even take full credit for it. Layla Frost (author) and I were chatting one day and she used it and I asked her if I could use it too. She's generous like that ;-)

message 17: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2056 comments Mod
Irish eyes, I'm pretty sure there is a family tree for the Essex sisters books on Eloisajames.com
I don't recall one for the people in her Desperate Duchesses series but it might be there. Certainly the descriptions of the books on that page might help...

message 18: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Thanks, Deb. I've been reading the back cover blurbs for her previous books and kind of getting a gist of who goes with who... I suppose I can pull out my Desperate Duchess series and start all over again, but I have too many books on my TBR pile to plow through. Although, after only a couple of chapters in I'm inclined to do just that. I'm liking being in this world and might want to stay a while. LOL

message 19: by Manda (last edited Feb 03, 2017 05:37PM) (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1876 comments Mod
Irisheyes wrote: "I'm with you on GOOD BOY, Deb. I really liked it. What I liked so much is that both Blake and Jess were kind of getting on my nerves at the beginning but I loved them both and saw their HEA by the ..."

Finished it last night and agree with you guys about growing to love them as the book went on.

I've been giggling all day when I think of him calling Jessie and Jamie's mom "my man Cathy". Not sure why but that's hilarious to me

message 20: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2056 comments Mod
Yeah. He also manages to be super interested in her sexually and up front about it without ever crossing the line.

The way he works so hard to make sure that his friend's wedding is about the friend and what he manages to pull off is so sweet. I think that was the point he won me over....

And there is a wonderful moment where her brother and brother's husband find them kissing and Blake is afraid she will keep insisting they are not dating which she has been saying for a while and she simply won't hurt him so she says they are serious. In 99% of romances that would be where she hurts him and then feels bad...

message 21: by Manda (last edited Feb 05, 2017 05:45PM) (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1876 comments Mod
Yes! Ive seen so many writers force that black moment and it always makes me flinch. Not that people dont hurt each other like that, but a lot of times it feels forced to make conflict. Also enjoyed seeing Jamie and Wes living their HEA.

Im excited that Eriksson is the next hero, too. I was hoping.

message 22: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments I thought the same thing, Deb! I was just waiting for her to deny that they were a thing and break his heart and she didn't! I liked hearing her POV on that too, where she thinks to herself that she just wouldn't hurt him that way. The last part of that book was so much fun with him pointing out all the ways they were a couple and her half heartedly disagreeing. I loved it.

message 23: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1220 comments Manda wrote: "Yes! Ive seen so many writers force that black moment and itvalways makes me flinch. Not that people dont hurt each other like that, but a lot of times it feels forced to make conflict. Also enjoye..."

Irisheyes wrote: "I thought the same thing, Deb! I was just waiting for her to deny that they were a thing and break his heart and she didn't! I liked hearing her POV on that too, where she thinks to herself that sh..."

I think it just proves how great these authors are, especially collaborating.

message 24: by Janga (new)

Irisheyes wrote: "Thanks, Deb. I've been reading the back cover blurbs for her previous books and kind of getting a gist of who goes with who... I suppose I can pull out my Desperate Duchess series and start all ove..."

Irish, I did not read the entire series, but I did reread Desperate Duchesses and Duchess by Night after reading Seven Minutes--and then I reread Seven Minutes. I too love that world. I think this series will be one that readers will continue to read and love. Maybe some time a few years from now, we will be reading the third generation stories. :)

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I'm still making my way through the desperate duchess series, I'm on Villier's story now #6