English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > February 2017 read-along

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jan 30, 2017 09:52AM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4311 comments Mod
Well we have a new author in Caroline Eriksson from Sweden, who has a book out 1/1/17, called The Missing which was translated by Tiina Nunally. With this book we have a total of ten books to read for the first time in February. They are The Catalyst Killing by Hans Olav Lahlum out 2/1/17, The Lost Woman by Sara Blaedel out 2/7/17, Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman out 2/7/17, The White City: A Novel by Karolina Ramqvist out 2/7/17, The Undesired by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir, The Killing Bay by Chris Ould out 2/21/17, Hell Is Open by Gard Sveen out 2/28/17, The Fifth Element by Jørgen Brekke out 2/28/17, and Marked for Revenge by Emelie Schepp out 2/28/17. Any more books out during the month will be applied as they come out. Good Reading.

message 2: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 257 comments Exited to get my hands on these. Hope you enjoy Ken.

message 3: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

New book published on January 31, 2017 called A CHILD MADE TO ORDER: gripping psychological suspense by a Polish/Norwegian author Piotr Ryczko.

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

New book published February 20, 2017 called The Iron Chariot by Stein Riverton. Norwegian.

message 5: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments I read The Undesired a couple of months ago and it is one of the best by Yrsa Sigurdardottir. I don't tend to like anything supernatural in books, but in this book there is some and it somehow works.

message 6: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2424 comments Mod
Gisela wrote: "I read The Undesired a couple of months ago and it is one of the best by Yrsa Sigurdardottir. I don't tend to like anything supernatural in books, but in this book there is some and it somehow works."

Read that book back in 2015 and found it interesting but just read a stand alone I Remember You. Ghosts and the writer has some axe re liars....saying this as I move to her next stand alone Why Did You Lie!!

message 7: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Sharon wrote: "Gisela wrote: "I read The Undesired a couple of months ago and it is one of the best by Yrsa Sigurdardottir. I don't tend to like anything supernatural in books, but in this book there is some and ..."
I've got that on my to-read list as well. It will be interesting to hear what you think. Other reviewers whose views I tend to agree with seem to love it. Wished I had more time to read!

message 8: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2424 comments Mod
Gisela wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Gisela wrote: "I read The Undesired a couple of months ago and it is one of the best by Yrsa Sigurdardottir. I don't tend to like anything supernatural in books, but in this book the..."

Don't let me put you off. I have the same, most I follow raved about it. And most of hers. I am surprised at myself ! For me, there's too much other world. Just not my thing!

message 9: by Mae (new)

Mae (birdsinflight) | 34 comments I'm behind the group, reading the first book of Chris Ould's trilogy, Blood Strand. Like that it is not over-the-top but understated. The setting is fantastic. I'm not sure if I'd read the second in the trilogy. Maybe after a rest.

message 10: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 257 comments Mae wrote: "I'm behind the group, reading the first book of Chris Ould's trilogy, Blood Strand. Like that it is not over-the-top but understated. The setting is fantastic. I'm not sure if I'd read the second i..."

Really enjoyed that book. Loved the setting.
Just took out The Killing Bay from library. As soon as i finish Behind Her Eyes, i'm diving in. :D

message 11: by Mae (new)

Mae (birdsinflight) | 34 comments After finishing, I'd read then next. I liked the main two detectives, one from the Faroe Islands, and the other a London based detective, working together. That was a highlight, as well as the setting.