Every Day Parisian discussion

Bonjour Kale - Author Questions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Beddard (kristenbeddard) | 4 comments Hi everyone! If anyone every has any questions while reading Bonjour Kale, please let me know. Happy to answer. Thank you for reading! Kristen xx Bonjour Kale A Memoir of Paris, Love, and Recipes by Kristen Beddard

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Plotnick | 3 comments Mod
Hi!

A few of the girls were curious how your transition back to the states has been? What do you think of America? Any reverse culture shock?

How is it raising Grady in the US vs Paris? Which is easier?

What do you miss most about Paris? I know originally you said you weren't a Francophile when you moved there but how has Paris changed you?

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (katatvandy) | 1 comments Any foods you are missing (perhaps not as much as you missed kale) upon your return?

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Beddard (kristenbeddard) | 4 comments Hi everyone! Happy Friday! Here are my answers to your questions. Happy to answer any others. -Kristen x

Transition back to the US
The transition was really easy. Everything is open, the language is never an issue and trying to figure out how things work isn't a difficult process. Plus we are closer to my family which is really nice. Plus now we get to experience NYC as a family of 3!

Raising Grady France vs US
Everyday I am learning something new about being a mom, especially now that Grady is going to be two years old (it truly is NO all the time). I loved my time being a mom in Paris but have also loved being a mom in New York. They are both great cities. I do wish NYC had universal preschool at 3 years old like France, but we're hoping to put Grady into a French immersion school for a few mornings a week next year or the following.

What do I miss the most about Paris?
I miss my friends! I also miss being so close to really old and interesting places to travel. We would go to Italy a lot and I always loved going to Brittany and eating delicious seafood. I also really miss the markets - they were such an important part of my life there.

How has Paris changed you?
I think I will always have a different relationship to food - thinking more about where it comes from. And any time someone is taken out of their comfort zone, it will have a lasting affect. Being the "odd one out" gives you a better appreciation for being in that place in life and by default generates more kindness to others because we never know if they are in a similar fish out of water situation.

What foods are you missing?
A really awesome baguette and flaky, buttery croissant. I miss the cheese but I think the bread is the biggest "issue." Oh and the mushrooms. The black trumpet and cepes were dearly missed this past autumn!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Robinson | 2 comments I have just picked the book up from the library, have been waiting a while for it. Hoping this discussion page remains open for a while, I know I will have questions for Kristen.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Robinson | 2 comments Just finished your book and I really enjoyed it. What I liked most was your honesty in not painting it all rosy. I found it hard enough immigrating to Australia from Scotland but cannot imagine the difficulty you would have experienced not being able to speak the language. I bet you are glad to be back home in New York. I loved my visit to Paris as a tourist and must admit to having a romantic view of Paris (always have had) it really is a beautiful city and I hope to go back again for a second visit. Living there would be another thing altogether.

Did you always know that you would only live in Paris for a few years and know that you would be returning to New York?

Do you think it would have been possible for you to get any job without speaking french? Do you think that it was not having the structure that a job gives us all that made it all the harder for you to settle.

I really liked the chapters with Madam Mustard, she sounds like an amazing lady, willing to give something new a chance.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

For those of you who read Bonjour Kale I posted a kale and quinoa salad up on the blog today featuring the kale massage. If you have tried out any of the kale recipes I would love to know what you have enjoyed! http://bit.ly/2l1jgz6

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Kristen and I are working on plans for a meetup this Summer in NYC. How many of you are in the area that would be interested in attending?

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Beddard (kristenbeddard) | 4 comments Sandra wrote: "Just finished your book and I really enjoyed it. What I liked most was your honesty in not painting it all rosy. I found it hard enough immigrating to Australia from Scotland but cannot imagine the..."

Hi Sandra - So sorry for the delay in this response! My answers....

Did you always know that you would only live in Paris for a few years and know that you would be returning to New York?

We knew it would be for five years with the potential of six or seven but yes, there was always an end to our time there. The assumption was moving back to NYC but we weren't sure even just a few months before that New York would be our next location.

Do you think it would have been possible for you to get any job without speaking french? Do you think that it was not having the structure that a job gives us all that made it all the harder for you to settle.

I absolutely could have found a job (teaching English, volunteering at certain organizations, etc) without French but it wasn't going to be a job where I was forwarding my career the same way. I wanted to do something that was along the same lines marketing/communications wise. And yes, I missed the team setting so much although learned a lot about working on my own and for myself too.

I really liked the chapters with Madam Mustard, she sounds like an amazing lady, willing to give something new a chance.

She is an amazing person! I am in Paris next week for a book event and look forward to visiting her stand!

Thank you for reading :)