J.D. Robb discussion

The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
This topic is about The Dry
Monthly Book Discussion Library > The Dry (Aaron Falk#1) by Jane Harper - February 2017 - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10142 comments Mod
Our February Book of the Month is The Dry by Jane Harper. We would love to have everyone join in on the read and discussion of this book. Open discussions will begin on the 14th of Feb.

Synopsis:
Luke Hadler turns a gun on his wife and child, then himself. The farming community of Kiewarra is facing life and death choices daily. If one of their own broke under the strain, well...

When Federal Police investigator Aaron Falk returns to Kiewarra for the funerals, he is loath to confront the people who rejected him twenty years earlier. But when his investigative skills are called on, the facts of the Hadler case start to make him doubt this murder-suicide charge.

And as Falk probes deeper into the killings, old wounds start bleeding into fresh ones. For Falk and his childhood friend Luke shared a secret... A secret Falk thought long-buried... A secret which Luke's death starts to bring to the surface...

Having just finished reading this book, I am astounded it is Harper's debut novel. I am also happy to learn that she has plans to continue with a series featuring some of these characters.

Hope everyone enjoys!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12814 comments Mod
Just got the audiobook! I'm in.

message 4: by Sheri (new) - added it

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I have it on hold on overdrive library...I have 42 people in front of me so we will see

Charlene (charlenev) | 259 comments Just downloaded my copy...looking forward to it!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 666 comments I think the waiting list in our library is long, but the state system is also all books checked out. I hope to get it in time for the group discussion!

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 747 comments I'm listening to the audio now...I'm almost halfway in and really enjoying it.

This is now an Open Discussion zone. Feel free to express your thoughts openly.

Who has finished reading The Dry?? We're starting discussions today.

message 10: by Sheri (new) - added it

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I haven't had a chance to read, hopefully will be able to get my hands on it soon

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 747 comments I finished it. Fantastic! I loved it. It was a story where I felt I was there experiencing it with the characters. I'll definitely read more from this author. It was hard to believe this was her first book.

Karen ♐ wrote: "I finished it. Fantastic! I loved it. It was a story where I felt I was there experiencing it with the characters. I'll definitely read more from this author. It was hard to believe this was her fi..."

It's really unique, isn't it? The reader is pulled into the story and the setting...wow! The setting really sets the mood & tone of the story - it becomes one of the "characters".

message 13: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Looking forward to listening to it. Waiting for it from one of libraries I use for download.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 666 comments ...still waiting for library to produce wait copy...
Will join when I get it, hoping soon

I may not get to it until late next week.

Anyone ready to discuss The Dry? It's no secret this is a favorite of mine because of its uniqueness, the way the setting is used to set an ominous mood - the air of impending doom as the story unfolds. Love to discuss it whenever anyone is ready. :)

message 17: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I just finished listening to it and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next installment from Jane Harper.

I really liked Aaron Falk.

message 18: by Sandra (last edited Feb 22, 2017 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara wrote: "I just finished listening to it and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next installment from Jane Harper.

I really liked Aaron Falk."

I did too, Mara. I hope the author continues as indicated.

message 19: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I hope so too, Sandra. I am a British Mystery lover. Outside of the Phrynie Fisher books I've not read other books by Australian authors.

Highly recommend Liane Moriarty, specifically Big Little Lies, though it's more contemporary fiction with a mystery element.

Hoping to start this one on the weekend.

message 21: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I've listened to A HUSBAND'S SECRET and THREE WISHES.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 666 comments I just started reading this one today. Writing and story are grabbing my attention.

Charlene - there was something about it that grabbed me from the beginning. I almost felt like I was in a trance while reading it at times. There's just a different tone or mood or something that held my attention. The story (& setting) fascinated me.

I'm starting this today.

Jonetta wrote: "I'm starting this today."

I'm nervous! lol

Seriously...I'm hoping others see/feel what I did as I read it. It's different than the "norm" suspense. And yet I couldn't put it down.

You and I are normally on the same page on books in this genre so I'm sure I'll like it.

message 27: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Loved THE DRY. Waiting for next book, like I'm waiting for the new CORMORAN STRIKE book.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 747 comments Jonetta wrote: "You and I are normally on the same page on books in this genre so I'm sure I'll like it."

I'm sure you'll love it, J. I really felt like I was there throughout the book.

I listened to about three hours today and am already hooked.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 666 comments I finished a few hours ago. The atmosphere ("dry") is transporting.

I just finished listening to the story and was blown away.

Did anyone else see that ending coming (about Ellie)?

Jonetta wrote: "I just finished listening to the story and was blown away.

Did anyone else see that ending coming (about Ellie)?"

Yay! So glad you loved it.

I had figured out some of Ellie's story...but not all. Loved the way it was all revealed between past and present.

To think that they faked such outrage for more than twenty years is diabolical. Ugh.

I loved how the setting was part of the fabric of the entire story. It shaped so many of the town's attitudes. I especially liked that moment where Aaron goes to visit the river and finally gets the devastation of the drought.

The setting sets the tone of this book. It's alive and growing throughout the story...spreading just as surely as a wildfire would. That river scene was powerful.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 747 comments Jonetta wrote: "To think that they faked such outrage for more than twenty years is diabolical. Ugh."

That's what got me, J. I figured out some of it but the entire story blew me away.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 747 comments Jonetta wrote: "I just finished listening to the story and was blown away.

Did anyone else see that ending coming (about Ellie)?"

I listened to it too. How did you like the audio? I really enjoyed it.

message 38: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I suspected that the father or Step-father and step-brother had something to do with the girl's death.

Mara wrote: "I suspected that the father or Step-father and step-brother had something to do with the girl's death."

You mean Mal Deacon and his nephew, Grant?

Karen ♐ wrote: "I listened to it too. How did you like the audio? I really enjoy..."

I liked the audio, especially with an Australian narrator. The only downside was it was always clear when the transitions from present to past were occurring.

Did anyone else suspect Gretchen for awhile?

At the beginning, did you believe that Luke had killed his wife & son and then committed suicide? As the story unfolded, did your opinion change? Who were your suspect/s? What did you believe to be the motive?

Karen ♐ wrote: "That's what got me, J. I figured out some of it but the entire story blew me away."

I started getting suspicious of Scott when Aaron visited his home. Something was just off about him but I couldn't figure motive. But, as soon as McMurdo mentioned his gambling, I locked in on him.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: " At the beginning, did you believe that Luke had killed his wife & son and then committed suicide? As the story unfolded, did your opinion change? Who were your suspect/s? What did you believe to b..."

No, I couldn't see him killing his son and leaving his daughter. Early on, I was suspicious of Gretchen but she seemed too obvious. But, I did move to Scott before the reveal.

I went back and forth on Mal Deacon & Grant killing Ellie but near the end had let them off the hook. Silly me. I even thought Luke may have had some involvement in her death.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 536 comments Definitely it seemed that Gretchen was up to something! Maybe it was because it is still questionable who is the father of her son. That to me was not resolved.

I didn't pick up the modern day murderer but it did seem that the author was making it seem that there was cloud of suspicion around Luke. Even though it did seem that the two murders were linked I did have an inkling that they really weren't. This was the power of the clever writing though and part of the reason the book was so captivating.

I agree. Still find it hard to believe that this is a debut novel. It is just fantastic!
What was the purpose of the repeated references to rabbits in the story - shooting them to stop their ravaging of the crops. What about the early scene where Luke killed Aaron's young rabbit (or the author gave the impression that was what happened). A foreshadowing of Lukes desire to kill? His cruelty to animals? Did it lead you to believe he could be a serial killer? Was it just a red herring for readers?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Definitely it seemed that Gretchen was up to something! Maybe it was because it is still questionable who is the father of her son. That to me was not resolved.

I didn't pick up the modern day mu..."

I don't believe Lachie's paternity is resolved, either, though I lean heavily toward Luke.

Harper did write this skillfully, so effective at managing two mysteries without convoluting the details. And, I was sold on them intersecting and bravo to her for creating that ruse so well.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I agree. Still find it hard to believe that this is a debut novel. It is just fantastic!
What was the purpose of the repeated references to rabbits in the story - shooting them to stop their ravag..."

I'm not sure. They seemed to be symbolic of overkill and misdirection as the real threat was the drought. They're killing rabbits and not focusing on the bigger picture.

That episode with young Luke and rabbit set me on a path to believe he was capable of cruelty. However, there was nothing else to support that point of view.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 747 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: " At the beginning, did you believe that Luke had killed his wife & son and then committed suicide? As the story unfolded, did your opinion change? Who were your suspect/s? What did you believe to b..."

To me, that just seemed to easy. I assumed that someone had killed him and his family. I suspected Gretchen for a while. I started getting suspicious of Scott later on too but when the gambling bit of info was revealed that locked it in for me. I did think that both murders (past and present) were somehow linked.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 747 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I agree. Still find it hard to believe that this is a debut novel. It is just fantastic!
What was the purpose of the repeated references to rabbits in the story - shooting them to stop their ravag..."

I'm not sure about the rabbits but I thought possibly the author was trying to mislead us by planting that seed of doubt in our minds about Luke. I also don't think we've heard the last of Luke's paternity either as Jonetta mentioned.

« previous 1