The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

MIME ORDER Wk 1 - Ch. 1-9 > PROS: Getting Excited

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shae, Mollisher (new)

Shae McDaniel (shaelit) | 67 comments Mod
Please remember that Pro means you've read this book before and are okay with in-depth, spoilery discussions. If you were a Pro for The Bone Season but haven't yet read The Mime Order, you are a Newbie for The Mime Order. Don't spoil the journey for yourselves!

Now, with that bit of housekeeping out of the way, let's talk. At the risk of biasing you all, I love The Mime Order. I am so excited for so many things in this book, I don't even know how to list them all. Crafty criminal Paige! Fabulous Syndicate world-building! More Nick! More Jaxon! Warden and Paige on equal footing! Sneakytimes! THE BATTLE ROYALE. THE BLACK MOTH.

I need a moment to collect myself. In the meantime, what about you all? Since this is the Pros thread, this is a no-holds-barred spoilerfest. What are YOU excited for in this book?

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahlucia31) | 10 comments I LOVE The Mime Order even more than I loved The Bone Season. Maybe it's just because by then I was more accustomed to the world of Scion. I think for me the best part is Paige just coming out and being completely kickass in the battle!

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Ellis (victoria_e_ellis) | 18 comments Yeah, I agree that I preferred TMO, but at the same time I can't imagine having a Sci-Lo based book in front of TBS. I love the criminal underworld that we get to experience and seeing Jax, Nick and the rest of the gang

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Ellis (victoria_e_ellis) | 18 comments And that battle has got to be one of the best I've ever read!

message 5: by Alix (new)

Alix | 70 comments I like getting to know the gang better, learning Ivy's backstory, and the new characters. I think my favorite new characters are Ognena Maria and Lucida Sargas (a Reph with some sass!) I'm looking forward to discussing all the ways in which returning characters surprised me too. We still have a bit of time in the readthrough until we meet her again, but for now I'll say that I had one concept of Terebelle after finishing TBS, and learned she was very different from what I imagined her to be in this book.
One interesting thing about this book is how we see that Warden really seems to an anomaly among most Rephaim, not just the Sargas and their followers. It was interesting to see just how much the other Ranthen disliked having to partner with humans, and how utterly paranoid they were about too much intimacy between Rephaim and humans.
Also, before I read TMO for the first time, I had this whole theory about how Warden had been romantically involved with the human who betrayed them in Bone Season XVIII, my theory was very incorrect.

message 6: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (fire-to-the-poppies) | 23 comments Alix wrote: "I like getting to know the gang better, learning Ivy's backstory, and the new characters. I think my favorite new characters are Ognena Maria and Lucida Sargas (a Reph with some sass!) I'm looking ..."

OMG your theory about Warden being romantically involved with /the/ human is BRILLIANT! That would have been so interesting.

My favourite book quote is from The Mime order: "Madness is a matter of perspective".
I love the scrimmage. It's one of my favourite parts of any book. And when we find out who the Black Moth is and when Warden walks through the door... ugh it's SO GOOD

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Ellis (victoria_e_ellis) | 18 comments Alix wrote: "I like getting to know the gang better, learning Ivy's backstory, and the new characters. I think my favorite new characters are Ognena Maria and Lucida Sargas (a Reph with some sass!) I'm looking ..."
Yaas, I would have loved to see that theory work out! I always find it so interesting on re-reads to think back on old theories, and how wrong (or right) you were. It's cool to be able to see the same clues, but in such a different way since you know how things pan out now

message 8: by Alix (new)

Alix | 70 comments Thank you, guys! I thought my theory was pretty clever, but alas, I was wrong. I'm sure we're still in for some shockers, even before the Guildhall, Duckett made those weird comments in TBS about the Warden, and the Sargas seemed particularly paranoid about Warden and Paige's relationship. Partly understandable since Nashira had to know that Warden loathed her.
I also theorize that Terebell has feelings for Warden, which I would love to be wrong about that, since that whole love-triangle could be completely disastrous.
My other cracked out and yet to be proven or disproven theory is that Paige's cousin Finn is still alive, we never see a body, and the Irish Inquisitor can't/doesn't confirm that the execution took place. I like to imagine he escaped and is leading an Irish resistance.

The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A...

unread topics | mark unread