The Filipino Group discussion

Don't You Cry
This topic is about Don't You Cry
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] F2F62: February 2017 [Mystery / Crime of Passion] | Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louize (last edited Feb 19, 2017 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Hello, everyone! I'm Louize, and I'll be your moderator this February (2017).

Our book:

Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica

This is the 3rd novel from the author. Her books focuses on suspense, bringing about some engaging psychological conflict. And this book is nothing short of that, it is a tale of deceit and obsession.

Reading Plan:

Of course, you are welcome to read on your own pace. However, for those who find solace in order, here's my suggestion:

(view spoiler)

Book length: 10 hrs and 31 mins.

Digital copies:

(view spoiler)

F2F date: February 25, 2016
Venue: Milky Way, Aguado Function Room
Second Floor, 900 A. Arnaiz Avenue Corner Paseo De Roxas, San Lorenzo, Makati City Direction / Map
Time: 11:30 am-3:30 pm

So, let us start this mess and have fun!

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Week 1 Questions:

1. In your own words, what is a crime of passion? (No wrong answer.)

2. Have you tried renting/living with a non-related room mate (or in a dorm)? How was it?

If not, how do you imagine it would be like?

message 3: by Monique (last edited Jan 30, 2017 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Week 1 Questions:

1. For me, a crime of passion is an offense done in the height of, or because it was impelled by, strong and powerful emotions. A crime committed because the criminal/assailant/attacker was overcome by emotion with so much intensity that he cannot help it.

2. Back in college I used to rent a room with my best friend. Mostly, it was fun! Because we knew to respect each other's space, and we observe the same rules when it comes to organizing stuff: we weren't OC but we liked things in order, we didn't like a messy room, etc. We shared the same room for 2 years and we never had any problem. EDIT: But I never tried rooming with a stranger.

KaZaam | 151 comments Week 1

1. A crime of passion is one committed while in the throes of a strong, intense and barely controllable emotion (maybe anger, jealousy, love, etc.), with no opportunity to reflect on what is happening and what the person is about to do.

2. No. I do not want to be roommates with someone I don't know. I'd rather live alone.

Veronica | 734 comments Week 1 Questions:

1. A bit hard to follow two lawyers, but here goes:

It’s when a person is driven to commit murder or inflict harm on another while in a blind rage – no premeditation involved. Defense lawyers use it to reduce the sentence from murder to manslaughter. (At least, that’s what I’ve learned from TV shows, haha).

2. I’ve never had a roommate but if I should have one, I don’t think I’d room with a stranger. For one, I’m not that easy to live with, lol. It has to be someone who knows me and can tolerate my quirks. Also, I saw the movie Single White Female and that convinced me that having a stranger roommate isn’t such a good idea. So yeah, I'm with Kathy on this one.

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Week 1
(view spoiler)

Maria (mariasm) | 2441 comments Week 1

(view spoiler)

Yay, my favorite genre!

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Hello, Ladies!

It's really hard living with a stranger, asking people to conform with your quirks and pet peeves is difficult, even harder conforming with their's. I was lucky to have roomed with my younger brother during those college days, 'coz I had fun bossing him around. (hehehe) And, commuting Silang-Manila was not an option for us, we're both working students. The experience, over all, was difficult, but liberating for us.

Week 2 Question

1. We all love our families, but we cannot deny that there are certain things we hate about them too. What are those certain things? Mind you, no need to go into the details, just explain briefly why.

message 9: by Krisha (new)

Krisha Vera (krishavera) | 1 comments I hate it that my sister bosses me around so much. It's like, I don't have any right to live by my own likes. When I do things, it is not okay but when she does it, it's okay. It's only okay when she does it. I'm so caged I feel like a 9-year-old. I'm turning 18 and this is how she treats me! Like a caged dog!

message 10: by Monique (last edited Feb 05, 2017 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Week 2 Question

(view spoiler)

KaZaam | 151 comments Week 2

(view spoiler)

Veronica | 734 comments Week 2 Question

(view spoiler)

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Week 2
(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Hi.
Family is still family, even though there are times when family is not ❤. I have a set of assertive siblings. We're a riot when we're together. Distance improved our tolerance with each other, the same way coming of age made us appreciate that we grew up together.

Week 3 Question

Is it possible to be obsessively curious about someone without actually falling for them?

It's Valentine's day, indulge me ... how obsessive can you be?

message 15: by KaZaam (last edited Feb 14, 2017 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

KaZaam | 151 comments Week 3
(view spoiler)

KaZaam | 151 comments Hi, do you have a date and venue already for the F2F?

message 17: by Tin (last edited Feb 14, 2017 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Week 1-3:(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Kathy wrote: "Hi, do you have a date and venue already for the F2F?"

Hi. F2F will be on the 25th. No venue yet, though, Makati is the most likely target.

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Tin wrote: "Pagbigyan naaaa, balentayms namen ngayon. "

Ok lang. Pero last na ito ha!

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Week 3 Question

(view spoiler)

Veronica | 734 comments Week 3 Question

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Elaine (last edited Feb 14, 2017 11:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elaine (itslainee) | 227 comments Week 3
(view spoiler)

Justin De Silos | 1 comments Week 3

1. I think it is possible for other people to get curious obsessively and not fall for them but personally, I rarely get curious about other people's affairs anyways, although, I get obsessively curious only to those that I already fell for so I guess that doesn't count. It kinda works the other way around for me. :)

2. Obsessed? Yes. VERY

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Trivia:
Did you know that a need to tell, ask or confess are one of the most common human obsessions?

So yes. we all have that in common. One of the reasons, too, why we view reticent people or a person who doesn't talk much differently.

(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Hey, guys! Updated message 1

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Week 1:
(view spoiler)

Week 2:
(view spoiler)

Week 3:
(view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Week 1
(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Angus and Meliza, living with other people is a test of patience and grace. I suggest you go for grace every time, instead of patience... nauubos din kasi 'yun.

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Week 1

(view spoiler)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Week 2

(view spoiler)

Week 3

(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Aaron Vincent wrote: "Week 2

I hope I didn't jinx it but saying this. :D"

Sounds like you recently stalked someone! :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.