Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) Deadhouse Gates question

Im scared to start Deadhouse Gates
Darrell McCrimmons Darrell Jan 30, 2017 04:20AM
Deadhouse Gates

I worked so hard to get thru Gardens of the Moon, I'm actually intemidated to start Deadhouse Gates. I don't recall having fear when referring to reading a book. Anyone else feel the same?

I liked Gardens of the Moon, although it was a bit slow. Therefore, I wasn't afraid of Deadhouse Gates but it quickly became so boring and slow to waddle through that I couldn't finish it. Eriksson seems to open lots of really interesting possibilities but never explores them fully. No Anomander Rake, no Oponn, no flying moon. Instead he focuses on all sorts of tedious action that doesn't seem to go anywhere and introduces too many unlikable characters without any obvious purpose.
Whatever character development goes on with the slave girl in DG (I forgot her name) it's terribly slow and dull and boring. In fact she is described as a junkie so dependent on her drug that I can't believe she'll ever be fully rehabilitated.
So I finally got sidetracked with a Tom Holt, I believe. Perhaps you should just try a Brandon Sanderson instead and spare yourself the boredom. You don't *have to* finish every series you start. There's no point punishing yourself. Try Elantris instead or Infinity Blade; or the mind-blowing Emperor's Soul. Try Magician by Feist. Try A Darker Shade of Magic by Schwab. Or Robert Jordan with his Wheel of Time.

Darrell McCrimmons Awesome advice...i have read and loved most Brandon Sanderson books. I can't say i really enjoyed gardens of the moon but so many people say the serie ...more
Feb 18, 2017 02:24PM · flag
U 25x33
David Oliver I would argue that it is worth reading on to the end of the third book. Erikson's writing improves massively from the first to the second, and again f ...more
Apr 19, 2017 06:59AM · flag

DG is much easier to get through than GOTM. It's a little slow to start, but soon you won't be able to put it down.