RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2017 Genre Challenge > February - Mystery, Thrillers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Heena (last edited Jan 30, 2017 12:27AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2109 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

It's February and those of you love mysteries, know what an epic month this is going to be!! It's Mystery-Thriller time of the year!

There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centered around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing.
If you have any doubts or questions, then post them below and we'll be happy to answer/discuss them.

Here is the DEFINITION for this month's genre:

Mystery Mystery fiction is a genre of fiction usually involving a mysterious death or a crime to be solved. In a closed circle of suspects, each suspect must have a credible motive and a reasonable opportunity for committing the crime. The central character must be a detective who eventually solves the mystery by logical deduction from facts fairly presented to the reader. Sometimes mystery books are nonfictional. "Mystery fiction" can be detective stories in which the emphasis is on the puzzle or suspense element and its logical solution such as a whodunit. Mystery fiction can be contrasted with hardboiled detective stories, which focus on action and gritty realism.
Mystery fiction may involve a supernatural mystery where the solution does not have to be logical, and even no crime involved. This usage was common in the pulp magazines of the 1930s and 1940s, where titles such as Dime Mystery, Thrilling Mystery and Spicy Mystery offered what at the time were described as "weird menace" stories—supernatural horror in the vein of Grand Guignol. This contrasted with parallel titles of the same names which contained conventional hardboiled crime fiction. The first use of "mystery" in this sense was by Dime Mystery, which started out as an ordinary crime fiction magazine but switched to "weird menace" during the latter part of 1933.

Classification:
- Traditional mystery
- Thrillers
- Cozy mystery
- Police procedural
- Hardboiled

Thriller: Thriller is a broad genre of literature, film and television, having numerous subgenres. Thrillers are characterized and defined by the moods they elicit, giving viewers heightened feelings of suspense, excitement, surprise, anticipation and anxiety. Successful examples of thrillers are the films of Alfred Hitchcock.[3]
Thrillers generally keep the audience on the "edge of their seats" as the plot builds towards a climax. The cover-up of important information from the viewer is a common element.[4] Literary devices such as red herrings, plot twists, and cliffhangers are used extensively. A thriller is usually a villain-driven plot, whereby he or she presents obstacles that the protagonist must overcome.

TYPES:
- Action Thriller(action is the main element)
- Conspiracy Thriller (protagonist must confront a large, powerful organization whose threat only he sees)
- Crime Thriller (usually from the criminal’s point of view)
- Disaster Thriller (natural disaster is taking place and the antagonist is either trying to stop the disaster or trying to run away from it or its extent)
- Eco-Thriller (protagonist must stop a threat to the environment - man-made or natural)
- Forensic Thriller (protagonist(s) are forensic scientists whose involvement in an unsolved crime threatens their lives)
- Legal Thriller (takes place in and around the courtroom. Usually the protagonist is a lawyer)
- Medical Thriller (involves something usually used for medical purposes becoming a deadly weapon. The protagonist or antagonist or both are doctors)
- Mystery Thriller (a subgenre of both mysteries and thrillers. It differs from a regular mystery by being much more fast-paced, with the protagonist on the run and the threat of another crime serving as the “ticking clock")
- Political Thriller (political relations or the whole government is at stake, and the protagonist is employed by the government to stop the decline)
- Psychological Thriller (a lot of the conflict is mental, rather than physical. The protagonist has become involved in a dangerous situation which literally threatens their sanity)
- Religious Thriller (uses the history and myths of religion)
- Romantic Thriller (a subgenre of both thrillers and romantic novels. The plot line follows a typical thriller’s tension, suspense, and excitement, but a main element is the growing relationship between two characters)
- Spy Thriller (focuses on the high adventures of field agents. It is usually set against the backdrop of some war.
- Supernatural Thriller (otherworldy elements are introduced, usually as an antagonistic force, but just as in the romantic thriller, the plot line and feel or distinctly that of thrillers. Some characters may have psychic abilities and other supernatural novel elements may be present)
- Techno-Thriller (a cross between near-future science fiction and thrillers. Cutting-edge technology plays an important role, either as something to obtain, or working for or against the protagonist)

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below.

PLEASE READ (for new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3138 comments Mod
I'm definitely in for Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (big surprise, lol). I have a mixture of hard cover, paperbacks, e-Books and audio books.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1858 comments Mod
I'm with Dagny - Level 5 for me! I'm going to look at some authors I normally don't read, for this challenge. One will be a Sherlock Holmes novel (reading this for another group, too), so I'll even get to read a Classic.

message 4: by Dagny (new)

One of mine is a classic also, Cheryl. The Queen of Atlantis

It's the February group read at the French Literature group. I wasn't sure if it would be a mystery or not, but after reading the guidelines Heena posted, sounds like it could be included. The blurb: Shunned by his fellow officers, the captain has been accused of the brutal murder of his friend Lieutenant Morhange, when the two were lost alone in the desert.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny,

I looked on Project Gutenberg. Is this it? http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14301

message 6: by Athira (new)

Athira Nair | 9 comments I am already reading The Client by John Grisham in PB format. So I would start with finishing that and see where it goes. :)

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Mystery book 1.) Maisie Dobbs

message 8: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Dagny,

I looked on Project Gutenberg. Is this it? http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14301"

Yes, that is it! How did I miss that. I ordered the book, lol.

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Mystery book 1.) Maisie Dobbs"

I found this to be a very uneven series. It may be simply a matter of my personal taste or even my mood while reading.

For me the first one spent too much time setting up the series. Didn't like the second at all and didn't even finish it. Really liked #3 though, so have continued to read on.

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Am having a spot of computer woes, so if I happen to go missing, that's why.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny,

I hope your computer is back to normal soon.

About the Maisie Dobbs series: I find I really have to be in the right mood to read this type of book. I think all series have the odd clunker in them, and I never like the first book as much as the rest. I will see how this one goes. So far, so good.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Yes, that is it! How did I miss that. I ordered the book, lol."

I looked it up by author, rather than by title. They kept the French title for the English translation, somehow. Maybe your book will be a better translation, though? It does sound quite interesting, whatever the format is.

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Thanks, Cheryl. It's not the operating system, but the anti-virus. So I'm spending as little time on the Internet as possible. Hopefully nothing gets messed up.

I'm like that too about some types of books. Got to be in the right mood.

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I looked it up by author, rather than by title. They kept the French title for the English translation, somehow. Maybe..."

Yes, the paperback I have is a modern translation from 2005. So at least I didn't spend money on a public domain one.

message 15: by Heena (new)

I'll also be going for Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more. I'll be reading a mix of PBs and EBs. There are so many mystery and thrillers I have on my bookshelves already!!
I'll be starting with Sting by Sandra Brown.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Since Heena's guidelines are a bit relaxed when defining a Mystery, I decided to add another book to my challenge list.

Book 2.) Mr. Monster

It's a mix of genres, but does include the pursuit of a serial killer in the plot.

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I'll also be going for Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more. I'll be reading a mix of PBs and EBs. There are so many mystery and thrillers I have on my bookshelves already!!"

That's me, Heena! If I had the time and could read a book a day this month, it might make a dent in it.

message 18: by Dagny (new)

Julia wrote: "I'm doing multiple reading challenges at the moment so I'll only be doing two books, and those will be Every Breath and hopefully Every Word"

Good luck, Julia!

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Since Heena's guidelines are a bit relaxed when defining a Mystery, I decided to add another book to my challenge list.

Book 2.) Mr. Monster

It's a mix of genres, but does include the pursuit of a serial killer in the plot."

Sounds like one I would not want to read after dark!

Yes, the relaxed guidelines are the reason I might be able to include Queen of Atlantis. Haven't a clue what its main genre might be - historical fantasy maybe. But since the main character is accused of murdering his friend in the desert (a desert in Atlantis?), it looks like it might fit.

message 20: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments I'll be trying to read The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins and Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman

message 21: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "That's me, Heena! If I had the time and could read a book a day this month, it might make a dent in it. "

That's precisely how it is! If only we can get twice the number of hours in one day... Just imagine having a 48 hour day! Now that'll help a lot, won't you agree? Lol.

message 22: by Heena (new)

All the best Julia and B.R. Kyle!

message 23: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Since Heena's guidelines are a bit relaxed when defining a Mystery, I decided to add another book to my challenge list.
Book 2.) Mr. Monster
It's a mix of genres, but does include ..."

Wow, this one does sound good! All the best for the challenge! :)

message 24: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Yes, the relaxed guidelines are the reason I might be able to include Queen of Atlantis. Haven't a clue what its main genre might be - historical fantasy maybe. But since the main character is accused of murdering his friend in the desert (a desert in Atlantis?), it looks like it might fit. "

Sounds intriguing! A single murder sounds promising enough to be listed as Mystery. I wonder what genre it might turn out to be. Do let us all know, Dagny :)

message 25: by Heena (new)

Oh, I have something entirely off topic to discuss (or maybe not entirely, but well...) has anyone here watched or is planning to watch Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events NetFlix series?

message 26: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments Heena wrote: "All the best Julia and B.R. Kyle!"

Thank you :)

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Book 2.) Mr. Monster"

Finished it. Three stars, but not for the squeamish. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 28: by Dagny (new)

My first mystery for the month:
Murder Most Frothy

I've about decided that this series isn't for me. It's ok, there's nothing wrong with it, but I still have not warmed up to the main character.

message 29: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Mystery book 1.) Maisie Dobbs"

Finished it. 3 stars. So much on Maisie's background story! Well-written, but a bit weak on the mystery parts of the story. I'll try another book in this series, and maybe things will improve.

message 30: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Mystery book 1.) Maisie Dobbs"

Finished it. 3 stars. So much on Maisie's background story! Well-written, but a bit weak on the mystery parts of the story. I'll try ano..."

I felt exactly the same way about the first one, Cheryl. The second one didn't appeal to me and I ended up not finishing it. The third one was better and I really enjoyed the fourth one. For me a lot seems to depend on the subject matter - what the case is about.

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Mystery book 3.) The Sign of Four. This is a classic Sherlock Holmes short novel, so it counts for my Classics challege, too. I just started it.

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments This is what I would like to read this month:

Finders Keepers (HC)
End of Watch (HC)
Postmortem (EB)
C is for Corpse (EB)
The Ice Princess (EB)

I hope to finish them all, but in any case it will be funny.

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "This is what I would like to read this month:

Finders Keepers (HC)
End of Watch (HC)
Postmortem (EB)
C is for Corpse (EB)
[book:The Ice Pri..."

The only one of these I've read is the Grafton book. I am right up to date with her series.

I've thought of maybe reading Mr. Mercedes, but never have actually decided to do so.

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Dagny wrote: "Andrew wrote: "This is what I would like to read this month:

Finders Keepers (HC)
End of Watch (HC)
Postmortem (EB)
C is for Corpse (EB)
[b..."

I read a couple of the Grafton books and I liked. I would like to continue (and maybe complete) the series before the end of the year. Some months ago I read Mr Mercedes and bought the other two books, so I'm able to complete the series. For me, it's a greart work by King, with interesting and sometimes funny characters.

message 35: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "I read a couple of the Grafton books and I liked. I would like to continue (and maybe complete) the series before the end of the year. Some months ago I read Mr Mercedes and bought the other two books, so I'm able to complete the series. For me, it's a greart work by King, with interesting and sometimes funny characters."

Thanks for the info on King's trilogy. If you need an impetus toward completing any series, check out our Series Challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 36: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Dagny wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I read a couple of the Grafton books and I liked. I would like to continue (and maybe complete) the series before the end of the year. Some months ago I read Mr Mercedes and bought t..."

Thanks, Dagny. I am determined to finish some series this year. Unfortunately, many are still ongoing, but I hope to end something. :)

message 37: by Hemangini (new)

Hemangini (hemanginipr) | 14 comments wow... I ll read books by keigo hagashino & any other mystery/thriller I have.

message 38: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "Dagny wrote: "I am determined to finish some series this year. Unfortunately, many are still ongoing, but I hope to end something. :) "

For ongoing series, I go ahead and count them if I am up to date with them.

message 39: by Dagny (new)

Hemangini wrote: "wow... I ll read books by keigo hagashino & any other mystery/thriller I have."

Good luck this month, Hemangini! This was my top month last year and it's pretty certain that it will also be my top month for 2017.

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Mystery book 3.) The Sign of Four. This is a classic Sherlock Holmes short novel, so it counts for my Classics challege, too. I just started it."

Finished it. 3 stars.

message 41: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Mystery book 3. "

Nice start to February, Cheryl!

I had eleven last year. Wondering if I'll top that this year - going to try!

message 42: by Dagny (new)

2. I Shall Not Want (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Adirondack Mysteries #6) by Julia Spencer-Fleming

message 43: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 04, 2017 05:10PM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "I had eleven last year. Wondering if I'll top that this year - going to try!"

Amazing! You must have read at least 2 books each week. I don't think I'll get that many in this month.

message 44: by Heena (new)

Andrew wrote: "This is what I would like to read this month:

Finders Keepers (HC)
End of Watch (HC)
Postmortem (EB)
C is for Corpse (EB)
[book:The Ice Pri..."

Wow, Andrew! You have some pretty great books there!! All the best :)

message 45: by Heena (new)

My first turned out to be a DNF... ugh! I was really looking forward to reading this one!
So, Book 1 - Sting - 1/5 - DNF at 10% due to seriously sleazy comments by the protagonist and due to the overtly erotic content.

message 46: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Heena wrote: "Andrew wrote: "This is what I would like to read this month:

Finders Keepers (HC)
End of Watch (HC)
Postmortem (EB)
C is for Corpse (EB)
[b..."

Thanks, Heena! I hope to finish all the books this month. Seeing the comment above, I hope you're luckier with the other of your list. :)

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen (bookertalk) I'm going for level one since I have a few other reading commitments this month. My reading choice will be Dominion by C.J Sansom which is an alternative history kind of political thriller set in 1952.

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Mystery book 4.) The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

This is my first Agatha Christie featuring Hercule Poirot. Since this was written in 1920, can I also list in on the Classics challenge?

message 49: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Mystery book 4.) The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

This is my first Agatha Christie featuring Hercule Poirot. Since this was written in 1920, can I also list in on the Classics challe..."

Yes, Cheryl. No problem. I think our guideline for cut-off dates is 1940. Plus we have made exceptions for some authors (Christie, Steinbeck, etc) whose books are widely considered 'classics.' This one of course qualifies even without the extra extension.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Yes, Cheryl. No problem. I think our guideline for cut-off dates is 1940. Plus we have made exceptions for some authors (Christie, Steinbeck, etc) whose books are widely considered 'classics.' This one of course qualifies even without the extra extension."

Thank you, Professor Dagny, for your judicious ruling.

« previous 1 3