Romance Writers & Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Flashy Monday Discussions > FLASH THIS by February 5th!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
PROMPT: Only two fingers on his left hand

Please, please, please remember to make suggestions for next week in the comments of the above link! We need some help to keep this little game going, eh? Seriously, HEEELPPPP!!!

Annnd share a link to your own blog post HERE .

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe More complete and total awesomeness, Mistress Ann!! Should I ask again here about getting a name for Iz's husband?! Hahaha!!

Working on mine now!

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Okeydokey here's mine, its the last of Charity's story for now cos I'm gonna turn her story into a little book for my subscribers!

Charity stared at the sobbing, trembling man in front of her.

She supposed she should feel guilty that he was a mangled, bloody mess, but she felt nothing. The ability to feel empathy had been conditioned out of her.

"If you don't tell me what I want to know I'll take out another finger," she threatened. Well threatened might be too strong a word, her words might be menacing but her empty tone betrayed the emptiness inside her.

"No, please," the man hiccuped through the blood that streamed from his mouth. He tried to yank his hand free from the rope that bound it to the arm of the chair. There were only two fingers on his left hand left and she would take out those two in a heartbeat.

The man's pain didn't matter to her, all that was important was completing her missions so she could get her reward.

Tyson.

A liar. A thief. A killer. The love of her life. The man she had killed. Or thought she had. The man she would literally do whatever it took to get back.

"I can rip out another tooth if you'd prefer." Charity held the hammer in one hand and picked up the pliers with her other.

"No. Please. Charity don't do this. Please," he begged.

Without a hint of remorse she brought the hammer down on another of her brother's fingers. "You didn't answer my question."

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) I've asked kindly on your website for something. And I really, really want some next week!

Looooooooove! hahahaha

I know you won't, though. *starts crying* *wipes tears away*

They can't get divorced. Just saying. Another great week, Mistress Ann!

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Jane wrote: "Okeydokey here's mine, its the last of Charity's story for now cos I'm gonna turn her story into a little book for my subscribers!

Charity stared at the sobbing, trembling man in front of her.

S..."

Ugh, you pull me in every single time! So good. And her brother...what?!?! hahaha. So glad I'm a subscriber so I get to see the entire story. *smiles wide*

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) The coldness seeped through his skin, radiating all the way to his heart. The droplets of water splashing to the ground didn’t take notice until an annoying voice pricked his ears.

“Geez, Dash, watch what you’re doing. You’re getting that sh*t on my feet.”

He flung the wet rag into the sink behind him and smirked as he walked to the other end of the bar. He didn’t particularly like Cindy, but she was a he**uva bartender, so he had no choice but to employ her. Sometimes he wanted to fire her a** just because she had the most annoying voice ever.

He needed to get his head on straight. Focus. Keep his sh*t together. Zoning out in the middle of a Friday night, one of the busiest times, wasn’t the way to keep it together.

But he was worried about her. He knew he never should’ve let her leave the bar alone. Not that he could’ve stopped her.

Well, okay, he could’ve stopped her. All he would’ve had to do was throw her over his shoulder and lock her up in his office where he could’ve finally told her how he felt. That he cared about her. Loved her, even.

Love. That was not an emotion he gave lightly. Here he was, giving it to a woman who didn’t give him that much attention unless she was ordering a beer. How could he love her already?

She came in every Friday, usually with her douche friend Stephen. He couldn’t stand that creep. There was something about him that rubbed him the wrong way. His friend Rocket agreed. As soon as he came back with some good intel about the jerk, he’d be having a conversation with her whether she liked it or not. He would throw her over his shoulder to do it if he had to.

He didn’t talk to her much. A few short conversations before her friend always arrived that had him yearning for more. It was strange, really. Lots of women came through his bar. He talked with a variety of them. But none of them touched his heart the way she did. There was just something about her.

Apparently, someone else felt the same way. He couldn’t help himself when she was near. He overheard her conversation on the phone, no doubt with the douche on the other end. Someone had been bothering her lately. Stalking her. She didn’t want to spend the evening out at the bar because of it. So she left. He knew right away he should’ve told Cindy he was taking a break and followed her home. Like a stalker, he chuckled to himself. Just to make sure she made it home safely.

“Yo, Dash, let’s talk.”

He looked towards the end of the bar to see Rocket standing with his hands in his pockets and an expression that scared him. He led the way to his office, shutting the door behind Rocket.

“What’s up?”

“Took a bit, especially since you couldn’t get me Stephen’s last name, but I finally got some great info on the son of a bit**.”

Dash started to pace. “It doesn’t sound like I probably wanna know.”

“Nope.”

“Sh*t.”

“His real name is Robert Stephen Carson. He’s got a record for a few assaults and possessions.”

He stopped in his tracks, lifting his gaze to Rocket. “And?”

“He’s got issues.”

“What kind of issues?”

“The mental kind. He’s sick in the head.”

“How sick?”

“His latest assault, about two years ago, he busted up this dude. When he was finished with the guy, only two fingers on his left hand weren’t broken. And that’s me being kind, because I could tell you the full extent of the injuries the dude received.”

Dash ran his hands through his hair and pulled on the ends. “Why isn’t he sitting in a cell right now?”

“Told ya, mental issues. Got thrown in an institution and they released him about seven months later, saying he was all better.”

“Then he met Heather…”

“You said someone’s been stalking her.”

Dash nodded.

“I don’t think he just met Heather. I think they’ve known each other a long time. And I think he’s her stalker.”

“Sh*t!” Dash brushed a hand across his desk, sending the papers, pencil holder, and nearly his computer to the ground.

Breathing heavily, he tried to calm his nerves. Heather needed him. He would be no use if he lost his cool.

“I have to find her. She left about thirty minutes ago.”

“I got her address and his. Tell me which one to take.”

Dash walked behind his desk, pulling the painting away from the wall. A quick flick of his wrist and he had the safe unlocked. He pulled out his Glock, checking the weapon with the same precision he mastered when he was in the military.

“You check his place. I don’t trust myself with the a**hole.” He shoved the gun behind his back. “Because right now, I wanna kill him. If he hurt her…”

“Just like old times.” Rocket slowly smiled as he followed Dash out of his office.

Yeah, like old times. Dash left part of his old life behind him for a reason. He didn’t want to hurt people anymore. Now. Now he wanted nothing more than to torture Robert with his bare hands until every last bone in his body was broken. And if he hurt Heather, even one little scratch, Robert was gonna wish he was dead already.

message 7: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

@Princess Jane: I promise dude will l have a name before he dies (kidding, I probably ain't gonna kill him off). Scout's honor.

And fantabulous flash fic this week!! I'm super stoked to receive Charity's entire story. Seeing as how I'm one of your superstar subscribers ^_~

@Queen Amanda: Hey, now, I'm giving ya lots of love. Those two adore one another. Just, umm, show it in very strange ways...

*snickers*

And thank you again for giving us lovey dovey feelings with a little angst sprinkled on top. I like sprinkles. Tee hee. Awesome flash!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Annie wrote: "@Princess Jane: I promise dude will l have a name before he dies (kidding, I probably ain't gonna kill him off). Scout's honor.

And fantabulous flash fic this week!! I'm super stoked to receive C..."

I know they love each other in strange ways...as long as that love stays. Divorce is so final! hahaha

And thank you! You know me. I gotta find the love as much as I can. I'm loving Dash! He came outta nowhere. I hate it when I fall in love with a new character. I get too attached and wanna give them their own book. hahahaha

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Amanda wrote: "Ugh, you pull me in every single time! So good. And her brother...what?!?! hahaha. So glad I'm a subscriber so I get to see the entire story. *smiles wide*"

Thank you! Haha, yeah you'll get to read the whole story, now I just gotta find time to write it, and I gave myself a deadline, so I better get to work!!

message 10: by Jane (last edited Jan 30, 2017 11:05PM) (new)

Jane Blythe Amanda wrote: "The coldness seeped through his skin, radiating all the way to his heart. The droplets of water splashing to the ground didn’t take notice until an annoying voice pricked his ears.

“Geez, Dash, wa..."

I'm ready for next week to read more!! Six days to go till flash fiction time again!!

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "@Princess Jane: I promise dude will l have a name before he dies (kidding, I probably ain't gonna kill him off). Scout's honor.

And fantabulous flash fic this week!! I'm super stoked to receive C..."

Thank you and thank you!!

message 12: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 688 comments Mod
I know me too!! It was all totally amazeballs!! Waiting for next weeks is the second hardest part!!! (writing it is the first!)

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Ember wrote: "I know me too!! It was all totally amazeballs!! Waiting for next weeks is the second hardest part!!! (writing it is the first!)"

Haha, seriously as soon as I read the flash fictions I'm like okay ready for next week now so I can read more!

message 14: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

I know me too! I'm one of those readers that reads a book in one sitting cuz I have to know what's happening so this is like torture! Lol

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Ember wrote: "I know me too! I'm one of those readers that reads a book in one sitting cuz I have to know what's happening so this is like torture! Lol"

Haha! That's why I always read the end of a book first cos then I know how it ends, but I can't do that with these flash fiction scenes, they force me to work on being patient!!

message 16: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

lol that's not ok! Lol it gives everything away especially in Romantic Suspense! Hahaha but yeah they do make patience a virtue lol!

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Ember wrote: "lol that's not ok! Lol it gives everything away especially in Romantic Suspense! Hahaha but yeah they do make patience a virtue lol!"

Haha, knowing the ending gives me that nice, warm, fuzzy, happy feeling inside!!

message 18: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Jane wrote: "Haha, knowing the ending gives me that nice, warm, fuzzy, happy feeling inside!!"

That's disgusting. You have no soul.

I approve ^_~

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "Jane wrote: "Haha, knowing the ending gives me that nice, warm, fuzzy, happy feeling inside!!"

That's disgusting. You have no soul.

I approve ^_~"

Haha, glad you approve!!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Jane wrote: "Amanda wrote: "The coldness seeped through his skin, radiating all the way to his heart. The droplets of water splashing to the ground didn’t take notice until an annoying voice pricked his ears.

..."

Thanks!

And I hear ya, I always count down as well because it's so much fun writing these!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Jane wrote: "Ember wrote: "I know me too! I'm one of those readers that reads a book in one sitting cuz I have to know what's happening so this is like torture! Lol"

Haha! That's why I always read the end of a..."

hahaha, you make me laugh! Sometimes I'm tempted to read the ending, but I force myself not to because I wanna be surprised and shocked.

message 22: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Right?!? Most of the time it's a matter of hours before I finish so I can wait lol!

message 23: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Ok Ladies this is the last of Tim (Mac) and Marcy's backstory! I am going to have to think of something new next week!

“Hey, Pix,” Andy snickered and Marcy growled shifting in her seat.
“What? You’re supposed to be watching where you are going, not harassing me, you overgrown child.”
The only response was a chorus of laughs. She glared at the men in her unit. She may be small but she had taken each and every one of them on at one point or another.
“Okay, okay, I’m sorry. But the nickname fits so perfectly! I mean, I could fit your ass in my pocket!” he laughed again turning in his seat to wink at her.
“You heard Twitch, Andy! Keep your eyes open,’ she yelled, frustrated.
“Twitch and his gut don’t scare me,” he made an attempt to sound tough and turned back around.
Marcy blew out a breath, relieved that he finally listened. “Remember that time he saved your hide from sniper fire? He was going on all day about a bad feeling he was having.” She shot the men a smug look.
Twitch and his gut had saved them all a time or two. She knew Andy just liked to look tough. He had a baby on the way though, so he definitely shouldn’t be taking any chances.
Damn it!” Andy yelled as a herd of sheep decided to cross right in front of the vehicle. He slammed on the breaks and waited for the sheep to cross.
The IED must not have hit the Humvee directly but shrapnel went everywhere and the truck went airborne with the force of the explosion. The smell of Sulphur made Marcy gag and she covered her head with her arms instinctively.
A white hot pain shot through her arm a second before everything stilled.
Opening her eyes, two things became immediately clear. The truck was upside-down and she didn’t want to think about what the eerie silence must mean.
Her safety belt was holding her in her seat, but from that vantage point she could see everything with a crystal-like clarity. Rocky was missing two fingers on his left hand and a long gash across his throat.
His eyes were bugging out and she realized then why everything was silent. The explosion had damaged her ear drums.
She released her belt and slammed into the ground. A second later she was being lifted into the strong arms of the love of her life. She sighed in relief just before everything went black.

message 24: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Ooooh, nice one, Miss Ember! Bravo!!

And I just made a shocking revelation. Legit shocking, I say! Miss Ember, Princess Jane, and yours truly all used "the love of her/my life". Like, geez, ladies. Are we losing our pain-inflicting mojo or what? Oh, nah...

There's still lots of pain. We're cool ^_~

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Ember wrote: "Ok Ladies this is the last of Tim (Mac) and Marcy's backstory! I am going to have to think of something new next week!

“What? You..."

Very nice, Ember!! I'm gonna go subscribe to your newsletter so I don't miss out on all your extra special stuff!

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "Ooooh, nice one, Miss Ember! Bravo!!

And I just made a shocking revelation. Legit shocking, I say! Miss Ember, Princess Jane, and yours truly all used "the love of her/my life". Like, geez, ladies..."

The three of us are on the same page, lots of pain coated love!

message 27: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Hahaha! lol that's funny cuz we r usually on the dark side lol!
Thanks Mistress Ann!

Thanks Princess!! Super excited about the new ebook giveaway!

message 28: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Jane wrote: "I'm gonna go subscribe to your newsletter so I don't miss out on all your extra special stuff!"

*grumbles* You beat me to it *grumbles*

Ah, well, I should be right after the Princess on your email list, Miss Emberrrr. Unless I'm not. Then could you move me up, please? Separation anxiety haha!

@Princess Jane: Yeah, pain is like the candy coating on an M&M. It adds another layer of deliciousness and some texture, ya know? ^_~

@Miss Ember: Hmm. I think we're still on the dark side. Not sure we'd be accepted to the light side. With all the death and destruction we bring...

*giggles*

message 29: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Yay!!! Thanks much ladies!!! Don't worry Mistress Ann I gotchu!

Yeah I don't think I would want to go to the light side anyway! I would be supremely bored! The dark side is much more fun!!!

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Ember wrote: "Ok Ladies this is the last of Tim (Mac) and Marcy's backstory! I am going to have to think of something new next week!

“What? You..."

Soooo good! I'll be sad to see them go. *starts to cry* Don't make me cry, Ember!

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Annie wrote: "Ooooh, nice one, Miss Ember! Bravo!!

And I just made a shocking revelation. Legit shocking, I say! Miss Ember, Princess Jane, and yours truly all used "the love of her/my life". Like, geez, ladies..."

hahahaha Yay for love!

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Jane wrote: "Ember wrote: "Ok Ladies this is the last of Tim (Mac) and Marcy's backstory! I am going to have to think of something new next week!

“Hey, Pix,” Andy snickered and Marcy growled shifting in her se..."

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I tried to go on your website, Ember, and subscribe but I don't see it. Isn't it a pop up box? No box is popping for me :(

message 33: by Amanda (last edited Feb 01, 2017 06:30PM) (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Annie wrote: "Jane wrote: "I'm gonna go subscribe to your newsletter so I don't miss out on all your extra special stuff!"

*grumbles* You beat me to it *grumbles*

Ah, well, I should be right after the Princess..."

I shall bring the lightness around here. hahaha You can always count on me. *wink* Although, I do thoroughly love you ladies and your dark sides:)

message 34: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

It should pop-up after five seconds. I don't know what's going on! Let me check

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Ember wrote: "Yay!!! Thanks much ladies!!! Don't worry Mistress Ann I gotchu!

Yeah I don't think I would want to go to the light side anyway! I would be supremely bored! The dark side is much more fun!!!"

Light can be fun, too! hahaha ❤❤❤❤❤ Here's some hearts!

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Ember wrote: "It should pop-up after five seconds. I don't know what's going on! Let me check"

I just went on again to see and nothing's popping. It hates me! *cries* hahaha. Okay, I know I'm be melodramatic. hahaha.

message 37: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

I just tried it on my phone and it looks like the pop-up decided to go too high on the page. I don't know are you on a computer or mobile device? It should be there!

Thanks for the hearts Queen Amanda!

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Ember wrote: "I just tried it on my phone and it looks like the pop-up decided to go too high on the page. I don't know are you on a computer or mobile device? It should be there!

Thanks for the hearts Queen A..."

computer

message 39: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

It might be that you're logged into Wordpress cuz I think it will only pop-up once per user so it doesn't annoy people! Lol

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) So, really weird. Nothing pops up on my computer for me, but I tried it on my phone and it worked. So, not sure what's going on there. I hope no one else is having that problem because I don't wanna see you lose subscribers.

Signed up, though!

message 41: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Yeah I know! That is weird! It popped up fine when I set the thing up but it's not popping up on my computer either! I think it's cuz I am logged in to Wordpress so it knows I have already clicked off of it before. I don't know!

Thank you! You ladies are amazing!

message 42: by Rowena (new)

Rowena Starfire (rowenastarfire) | 10 comments I thought I was going to be funny, but then this came out!

The warehouse was along the harbor, so even at midnight the rot of gutted fish and chum lingered. That it was still abandoned after a year was no surprise to me—most fishermen had moved to the other side of the bay, where crime was low and broken street lamps actually got repaired. But if you could get past the smell, and the damp chill, and the lack of light, and the fear of getting mugged, and the good probability of getting a methamphetamine contact high, it was a fine place to do business.

So obviously Michael and I were alone. Again. And obviously that was how we needed it to be.

A couple days ago, he’d found a lantern at a Goodwill that made a sizzle pop every now and again. It kind of killed me that he held onto that hunk of metal, considering Foss would be happy to spring for a reliable light source. But Michael always went for drama over convention. It’s a fine quirk for our line of business, but man did it make the sex weird.

Not that we were still having sex. We were done, for reals, and we’d promised Foss there’d be no more ‘for old times’ sakes. But trust me. It got weird.

Anyway, he was arranging documents on an old card table by light of his lantern when I came in. I handed him a 40 I’d picked up along the way. Yes, I could afford it. But no, I did not pay for it. There were so many pockets lining the inside of my leather jacket that it would be a shame to leave them empty.

“You should get microbrews,” Michael said. He was distracted, the orange light casting shadows under his eyes and making his already striking features look almost demonic. Michael’s got those smoldering good looks. You know, the deep set eyes and the strong nose, a constant five o’clock shadow.

But aside from what he does for work, he’s a really nice guy.

“Microbrews are expensive,” I muttered, opening my own 40 and taking a swig. “So what kind of info do you have for me?”

He continued to organize the documents, but I didn’t try to look at them yet. He had a system that I knew better than to interrupt. “A man. He digs red heads, which is where you come in.”

“Mmhmm.”

“He has ten fingers.”

“Sure.”

Michael looked up, pausing with a photograph in his hand. “I mean ten total. He’s got eight fingers on his right hand and only two fingers on his left hand.”

“That’s—”

“Yeah.”

“I mean, that’s—”

“No, yeah, it’s totally weird.” He was nodding as he went back to arranging the documents.

I frowned. “This is some real Inigo Montoya sh*t.”

“Mmhmm,” he said, still nodding. He stood back to review his
display. “Start here,” he said, tapping at a photo at the top of the table. “It’s the only one we’ve got that shows his face.”

I moved past him and ignored the little skip of my pulse that happened every godd*mn time I got too close to him. There were a million reasons we had broken up, at least. A million reasons, I repeated to myself as I squinted at the photograph.

The picture was of an extraordinarily well-built man glaring into the camera, his arms crossed in front of his chest. “Russian?” I asked. That lantern hissed.

“Ukrainian.”

I nodded, then inspected the photo closer with a shiver. I’d seen that expression many times over in my days. It was definitely one only come by through an intimacy with murder.

“Wait, Michael,” I said with a laugh. “He has all his fingers on his left hand. He’s just making some sort of sign.” I handed Michael the photo, then grabbed the lantern and held it between us so we could both look. “See, they’re just curled under.”

“But what about—oh—” Michael’s voice took on a note of disgust.

The Ukrainian did not have eight fingers on his right hand. Not eight of his own, anyway. He was holding another hand, most of it obscured. Another hand that was not attached to an arm. Or to anything.

“Well this changes things,” Michael mused. “I wonder whose hand that is?”

I took another pull from my bottle. “Probably some redhead’s.”

message 43: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Ooooh, Miss Rowena! So freakin' glad you joined the game!! Loved the ending haha! Twas pretty funny to me...

*smirks*

message 44: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Loved it! Totally funny and dark just what I like!

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Oh, Rowena, that was awesome! I loved the ending and totally laughed out loud:)

message 46: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Rowena wrote: "I thought I was going to be funny, but then this came out!

The warehouse was along the harbor, so even at midnight the rot of gutted fish and chum lingered. That it was still abandoned after a yea..."

Fabulousness!! Loved it!!

message 47: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments The only thought that came to my mind on this could not be posted here...so I'm passing this week.

message 48: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

@Miss Mary: Post whatever the h*ll you want to. Just censor out all the f*cking cuss words. Or else sh*t's gonna hit the fan.

Tee hee.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.