Genre Readers looking to expand discussion

ONGOING CHALLENGES > March Book Madness 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 3: by Lea Ann (last edited Jun 30, 2017 07:13PM) (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments I'm going to try the YA list this year too. Marking out titles previously read as there are some duplicates from last year's lists.

Middle Grade Titles:

1. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
2. Fish In A Tree Read for 2016 list
3. Brown Girl Dreaming 2016 list
4. Echo
5. The Fourteenth Goldfish April 26
6. Roller Girl read in 2016
7. Absolutely Almost 3/20/19
8. Crenshaw 2016 list
9. A Night Divided 3/19/17
10. The War that Saved My Life6/10/17
11. BookedFeb. 25
12. El Deafo 4/8/17
13. Sisters 3/26/17
14. Counting by 7s
15. The Honest Truth2016 list
16. Pax 2016 Global Read Aloud Winner

Young Adult List

1. The Serpent King
2. All the Bright Places
3. When I Was the Greatest
4. Read Between the Lines
5. Salt to the Sea
6. Orbiting Jupiter on 2016 list
7. Bone Gap
8. The Summer of Letting Go
9. The Great American Whatever
10. Everything, Everything June 3
11. Fangirl
12. Winger
13. Red Queen
14. Cinder
15. The Impossible Knife of Memory
16. Challenger Deep

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I might try to do some of this year's list since I want to start going to the library again. This would give me book ideas to look for. Some are on my TBR list as well.

message 5: by Melissa (last edited Dec 24, 2017 09:31AM) (new)

Melissa | 1202 comments Mod
Middle Grade Titles:

1. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
2. Fish In A Tree
3. Brown Girl Dreaming
4. Echo
5. The Fourteenth Goldfish
6. Roller Girl
7. Absolutely Almost
8. Crenshaw
9. A Night Divided
10. The War that Saved My Life
11. Booked
12. El Deafo
13. Sisters
14. Counting by 7s
15. The Honest Truth
16. Pax

Young Adult List

1. The Serpent King
2. All the Bright Places
3. When I Was the Greatest
4. Read Between the Lines
5. Salt to the Sea
6. Orbiting Jupiter
7. Bone Gap
8. The Summer of Letting Go
9. The Great American Whatever
10. Everything, Everything
11. Fangirl
12. Winger
13. Red Queen
14. Cinder
15. The Impossible Knife of Memory
16. Challenger Deep

message 6: by Melissa (new)

I am giving this a try.

If I have already read the book do I get to mark it off or do I need to reread it?

message 7: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Melissa wrote: "I am giving this a try.

If I have already read the book do I get to mark it off or do I need to reread it?"

I marked them off if I'd already read them. I don't normally reread books. Too many others out there to read! lol

message 8: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments I just read Booked by Kwame Alexander. Great book in verse for middle grades.

message 9: by Karin (last edited Mar 04, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Karin | 405 comments Middle Grade Titles:

1. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library read on 5/20/17
2. Fish In A Tree read on 7/8/17
3. Brown Girl Dreaming read on 5/13/17
4. Echo
5. The Fourteenth Goldfish read on 6/13/17
6. Roller Girl read on 5/3/17
7. Absolutely Almost read on 5/27/17
8. Crenshaw read on 7/16/17
9. A Night Divided read on 3/3/18
10. The War that Saved My Life read om 1/15/18
11. Booked read 4/21/17
12. El Deafo read 4/18/17
13. Sisters read on 6/4/17
14. Counting by 7s read on 5/8/17
15. The Honest Truth read on 5/5/17
16. Pax read on 5/6/17

Young Adult List

1. The Serpent King read on 7/9/17
2. All the Bright Places read on 7/2/17
3. When I Was the Greatest read on 4/26/17
4. Read Between the Lines read on 4/24/17
5. Salt to the Sea read on 5/28/17
6. Orbiting Jupiter read 4/9/17
7. Bone Gap read on 5/29/17
8. The Summer of Letting Go read on 5/24/17
9. The Great American Whatever read on 5/12/17
10. Everything, Everything read on 12/29/17
11. Fangirl
12. Winger read on 7/15/17
13. Red Queen
14. Cinder
15. The Impossible Knife of Memory read on 5/16/17
16. Challenger Deep read on 1/24/18

message 10: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments A Night Divided is an excellent book with a climax that will have you biting your nails!!!

message 11: by Lea Ann (last edited Mar 20, 2017 06:51AM) (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Read Absolutely Almost. Cute story of a boy who learns to value his own strengths. Also the story is a nice reminder of the benefits of a good public school education (which is something I'm rather touchy about lately thanks to Betsy DeVos).

My plan is to knock out all the middle grades reads and then start working on the YA list.

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I picked up 6 books off the Young Adult list from the library. I thought I would try to read through that list then start the Middle Grade one from what books I can find in the library.

message 13: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I finished reading Orbiting Jupiter today. It took me less than two days to read and get all emotional over it.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I just finished reading El Deafo today. It was quite touching and informative.

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I finished Booked today. I really enjoyed the way it was written and easy to read.

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I finished When I was the greatest today. It was a difficult read at the beginning but that ending was not exactly what I saw coming.

message 17: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments This week I have finished Roller Girl and The Honest Truth. I enjoyed the quick reads and the important message they told.

message 18: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I have read Read Between The Lines as well. I liked how the story was broken up by character POVs and the way they entwined with each other.

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I finished Pax today. The dualing perspectives of the fox and boy were written well in moving the story along.

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I finished Counting by 7s today. That was an emotional story about a girl named Willow who loves the number 7. It made me think of what are the 7 most important things in my own life.

message 21: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I finished Brown Girl Dreaming today. I liked how the story was written in verse.

message 22: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Karin wrote: "I finished reading Orbiting Jupiter today. It took me less than two days to read and get all emotional over it."

I LOVED that book. The ending!!! I've had students who read it and didn't like it because they are used to reading books with nice, tidy endings. lol

message 23: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Karin wrote: "I finished Booked today. I really enjoyed the way it was written and easy to read."

Karin, I enjoyed this one, but that same author has a book called Crossover that carries a much bigger emotional punch. It's in verse, too, so a quick read. You should definitely check it out.

message 24: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Karin wrote: "I finished Brown Girl Dreaming today. I liked how the story was written in verse."

I'm a huge fan of books in verse. I'm in awe of how a compelling story can be written with so few words.

message 25: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Karin wrote: "I finished Pax today. The dualing perspectives of the fox and boy were written well in moving the story along."

I did this one as a class study and my whole class loved it.

message 26: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Karin wrote: "This week I have finished Roller Girl and The Honest Truth. I enjoyed the quick reads and the important message they told."

I loved the fast pace of The Honest Truth. Great story. Roller Girl is probably my favorite middle grades graphic novel.

message 27: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments The Great American Whatever is a book that I struggled with to read.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

I have read Cinder before so I am striking it out, I am a little late starting but I am picking up Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library and Salt to the Sea this week from the library.

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I have to say all the books on the lists I have read so far my favorite is The Impossible Knife of Memory. That book had me reading when I should be sleeping once I got really into it.

message 30: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I just finished Escape from Lemoncello's library. That book is a favorite for the puzzles and mystery in the plotline.

message 31: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I just finished reading The Summer of Letting Go today. That ending really got to me. Frankie Sky is such a precious character.

message 32: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments I checked out Everything Everything. Ready to get started.

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I finished Salt to the Sea today. I learned a lot about the boat sinking that I had never heard of before. The way it was written made it more interesting to me.

message 34: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments I'm still looking at Everything Everything. lol

message 35: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments That is one book that my library does not have. There are 3 books in total that cannot be checked out of the library: Everything, Everything; Red Queen; and Challenger Deep. I am trying to read all I can from the library of this book list. I just started Bone Gap today.

message 36: by Karin (last edited May 29, 2017 04:50PM) (new)

Karin | 405 comments 17 down, 15 to go.
I just finished reading Bone Gap today. It kept me on my toes until the end.

message 37: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Karin wrote: "15 down, 17 to go.
I just finished reading Bone Gap today. It kept me on my toes until the end."

Karin, you are flying through these books!

message 38: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Finally finished Everything, Everything. Great read.

message 39: by Melissa (new)

2 down!

Read Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library which I thought was a cute book, had fun reading it.

and also Salt to the Sea which I struggled to get through because of the writing style. I always have a hard time with stories with multiple characters told in short 2-3 page chapters bouncing from view point to view point. I think people who can get into that type of style will think the book is really good though.

message 40: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I ran out of time reading Echo and War that saved me. I had to return them to the library. I might try to get them out of the library again later on this year.

message 41: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I had to return A Night Divided back to the library because I ran out of time. I will try to get it back out of the library again later on this year.

message 42: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments This month I finished reading Crenshaw, Winger, A Fish in a Tree and The Serpent King. All of them were interesting in their own way. I did almost cry at the end of Winger because I did not see it coming and it is probably my favorite out of these four books.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Finished Fish in a Tree I really liked it. My brother has dyslexia and he went through to the 8th grade being told he was "slow" before a teacher figured out that he was dyslexic and he was able to get help with reading. This story had a personal feel to it for me.

message 44: by Melissa (new)

I finished All the Bright Places tonight and I am really not sure if I liked it, hated it or loved it. I think I actually had moments of all 3 emotions.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Brown Girl Dreaming marked off the list!

message 46: by Karin (last edited Oct 01, 2017 12:33PM) (new)

Karin | 405 comments I have 3 more Middle Grade books and 5 more Young Adult books before I am finished with the list.

I am going to start reading Fangirl this week.

message 47: by Melissa (new)

I just took Echo back to the library, has anyone else read it yet?

I really liked it. I thought at first the size was a bit much for the age group and I do still think that it will scare away some reluctant readers from trying it but if they ever do try it they will really like it.

message 48: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments Melissa, I started to read Echo but ran out of time and needed to turn back to the library. I want to check it back out of the library soon to finish reading it.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

So I picked up The Fourteenth Goldfish today and read it. I thought it was a creative way to show science as something that isn't just a boring subject and school and get kids more interested in it. I liked the story, I thought it had a nice way to make kids think about a lot of things from the cycle of life to making new friends.

I did wonder why so many books have kids in the story making new friends when they get to an age where they have different interests and drift apart. My kid's friends are all into different things but we taught them to respect the different interests but still make time for each other. Is it just easier to write the story that way or just more what happens in real life?

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Another one off the list, Read Between the Lines .

I tend to read longer books because I like the world building, character development and feeling like the story wrapped up well so this type of writing style isn't one of my favorites. It read like a compilations of short stories rather than one continuing novel.

Not a bad book, just not my favorite type of writing style.

« previous 1